We're out of ideas (Pre-production Job Announcement)

Well not going to create a google account just fill out a questionnaire.... just sayin.     /s

Guess I am automatically disqualified...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Well not going to create a google account just fill out a questionnaire.... just sayin.

I think you are in the VAST minority of internet users if you don't have a single Google account... :P

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

I think you are in the VAST minority of internet users if you don't have a single Google account... :P

I did have one at one time a number of years ago got rid of it for a god reason. I have no need to open another one. I guess I was just being sarcastic about it. I have to say though the document requires me to have one just to fill it out, seems rather limiting to me.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I did have one at one time a number of years ago got rid of it fore a god reason. I have no need to open another one. I guess I was just being sarcastic about it. I have to say though the document requires me to have one just to fill it out, seems rather limiting to me.

what, it's less limiting that requiring you be able to move to BC etc

seems like a complaint about something for the sake of complaining 

(fyi, I'd be pretty damn sure you'd need a google account in the course of testing any of the google products, like android phones, or chrome books, and loads of other things)

I'd like to see LTT get more into fabricating/construction of some component pieces such as cases, radiators parts or whole rads would be even better. Generally trying different things out, even if they end up not working it might give others that push in the right direction.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, Copuis said:

what, it's less limiting that requiring you be able to move to BC etc

seems like a complaint about something for the sake of complaining 

(fyi, I'd be pretty damn sure you'd need a google account in the course of testing any of the google products, like android phones, or chrome books, and loads of other things)

Not complaining just pointing it out.

But yes your correct it would be needed to do the google product stuff. Since I have no need to get into google product I have no need for the job.

It was just a observational comment.

Besides I probably would not be a good candidate anyhow. Just ignore me.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@nicklmg I just moved to Boston and I can't work in Canada, but I've always wanted LMG to address the "audio production" side of computer specifications. For example, how to ensure that real time audio playback inside of a DAW is smooth, and whether to focus more on cpu speed or a higher number of cores. I'm not entirely sure how many people this topic would necessarily help, but it can definitely be presented in an interesting way, and it reaches a wider audience than gamers and video editors. 

If anyone from LMG reads this, I recommend going in that direction for one or two videos and seeing whether the overall response is positive.

There is a whole idea thread... Anyways what ever happened to the video Linus said he would do. Beast vs Core (External video cards) adapters.. Specifically https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=external+video+card+beast

Here is another idea: https://smile.amazon.com/RAVPower-Versatile-Wireless-Portable-Companion/dp/B00T5XQE3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477091483&sr=8-1&keywords=ravpower+file+hub

That product is by the best I have ever seen in tech. Basically this is the ultimate way to play movies on the go when you have a iPhone (Due to limited storage space), and you can charge your phone. Just using the streaming video this thing last 12+ hours (Using a 256 GB SD card). On the other hand wifi hard drives are not good because their battery life, and slow bandwidth speeds. 

30 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, lemme see how much tickets from one of the United States' most expensive airports to Canada will cost me...

fuck, I only got $20.

buy the cheapest pair of hiking shoes and start walking there :P 

you'll know you're in canada once you start seeing igloos. just kidding lel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Well not going to create a google account just fill out a questionnaire.... just sayin.

Guess I am automatically disqualified...

lol you obviously don't really want to job then and if you can't even put in the effort to fill in the application; I don't think you want you.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

@nicklmg you should also make a suggestions form or something. You have a massive fanbase with tens of thousands of potential ideas, a few more writers will be useful, but nothing compares to the ability to tap into that pool of ideas; you could even have one of the new writer's jobs be to go over these submissions for input.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Mmm... if you're looking for a guy straight out of Penn State with a B.S. in Computer Engineering and an unreasonable urge to stockpile mass amounts of 486-era PC hardware he has no use for, then I might just fit the bill.  Could definitely write some interesting material on more hardware-level stuff, though my area of expertise is admittedly a bit lower-level than most.

Or maybe not.  The comments on 'Maker Skills' pretty much encompass exactly what I have on the left hand of my screen while typing this... been working on designing and building a GPS-controlled mobile platform that's basically a Mars rover, controlled by a PIC32 microcontroller stuck down to a PCB milled on our own LPKF ProtoMat mill.  I could do one awesome segment on embedded systems and how they work, granted that's EEVBlog material more than anything.

Oh... Wait.  Vancouver.  Quite the commute from Erie, Pennsylvania, but in hindsight I'm probably going to end up in Washington state anyway next April, so even that isn't a problem.  Oh, the wonders of living in an area which is technologically dead.  Being realistic, this would be a dream, but part of me feels like A) that guy that just graduated would be a bit of a risk on LMG's side, and B) this is of more immediate urgency than next spring.  Would love to be proven wrong, but someone out there is being thrown one awesome opportunity.  I'll spare whoever's handling the Google Forms pile an extra submission.

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

lol you obviously don't really want to job then and if you can't even put in the effect to fill in the application; I don't think you want you.

You presume...

and its effort...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You're adding new staff?

inb4 New Office Campaign 2017.

19 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

You presume...

and its effort...

I'm just saying if I was an employer and my perspective new hire complained about how he had to make a account which literally takes 2 minutes, there is no way in hell I'd ever consider hiring you. If you can't take 2 minutes to apply for the job how am I to expect you to do high quality work for 8 hours a day 5 days a week?

EDIT: SansVarnic adjusted his post, he forgot to show he was trying to be sarcastic, which doesn't show in just plain text, just a misunderstanding.

11 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I'm just saying if I was an employer and my perspective new hire complained about how he had to make a account which literally takes 2 minutes, there is no way in hell I'd ever consider hiring you. If you can't take 2 minutes to apply for the job how am I to expect you to do high quality work for 8 hours a day 5 days a week?

To keep this civil and out of this thread ... I will pm you.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

28 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

As someone who's spent the last three months working on getting into the embedded industry, this is one of the most true things I've heard all day.  Granted LMG is a bit out-of-the-ordinary when it comes to employers, but these employers owe you nothing and it's your job to present yourself as a valuable asset.  Because at the end of the day, if you can't make their company back at least what you're costing them, then it's in their best interest to get rid of you anyway.  Just wanted to reinforce that and take my leave.

Like I said, I'd move over and do this job like there was no tomorrow, but from the LMG viewpoint it would be an application from someone with no experience whatsoever from the other side of the continent who isn't available immediately anyway, and I acknowledge that there just isn't anything I can do about that other than things like this right here, and a forum post does not a job application make.

So I am wondering if you are willing to hire from the USA (require a work permit). I personally have been thinking about moving to either Vancouver or Ontario area for the last year now. I live in Western Montana USA and I am used to the "Cold North" is I am just a bit farther south.

Thanks for the opportunity!!

Justin_

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Can always make cuts in LMG if needed too, I'm not trying to name anyone but... 

Anyways, need to hire someone who is good for coming up with ideas for Channel Supper Fun as well, just saying. 

Just now, CookieMaster said:

Anyways, need to hire someone who is good for coming up with ideas for Channel Supper Fun as well, just saying. 

I love Channel Supper Fun. Especially the dinner sleuth episode.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Can LTT go into practical applications for the multi-gamers, one PC rig with, perhaps, a more practical (read: cheaper) selection of components. Perhaps investigate use case scenarios such as central home cloud servers (with connections to TVs in the home), or even as Arcade systems.

Alongside the server videos, your audience also seems interested in pushing the bounds, along with a little occasional goofiness (like Linus's Lambo).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I think what they really could use right now (speaking as someone whose only experience is what's shown to us on Youtube/Vessel) is a bit of reorganization to go along with having a few extra hands making content, and the two are probably directly related.  I know it's sort of a running joke at this point, but there are so many new and forgotten 'segments' and sporadic formats that it's hard to even guess what's going to be released next.  That said, coming up with ideas for a long-running series that won't just run out after two episodes isn't a trivial task, which is what my intuition tells me they're hiring for right now.  Again, just my opinion from episodes released to us general viewers.  ;)