We're out of ideas (Pre-production Job Announcement)

I can scrap enough money for airplane ticket.

Do I get my own office with mattress where I could sleep?

Free apartment would be perfect, but mattress in the office will do too.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I just love how so many people (myself included) would be willing to move to a different country and live in a tiny apartment for (at last anything was stated) basically a minimum wage job at a company that depends on the unstableness of YouTube who is constantly messing with content creators. Dang @nicklmg you got something going there.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

13 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

I just love how so many people (myself included) would be willing to move to a different country and live in a tiny apartment for (at last anything was stated) basically a minimum wage job at a company that depends on the unstableness of YouTube who is constantly messing with content creators. Dang @nicklmg you got something going there.

Yeah, for me the plan is to bring myself, my laptop and some clothes, and rent a room or Airbnb for a while until I'm established. I'm Canadian, but I'm about as far away from Vancouver as you can get in Canada. It'd be a big change for me for sure, but change is what I need right now, I feel.

6 hours ago, nastys said:

So you don't want to help me because there are too many requests already. But that's not fair and I'm really upset about it.

Hey, cut them some slack. They aren't sure when they're going to be finished accepting submissions, and they only have so many man hours to dedicate to this alongside everything else they have to keep up with. I'm sure they're drowning in it right now, and I'm also sure what @nicklmg meant by "can't update every single person" was "we can't address everyone who doesn't make it past vetting"; Most businesses don't notify unsuccessful candidates that they've been passed over for a position. I get that he might not have gotten back to you yet about fixing the application, but it doesn't mean he won't.

8 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Yeah, for me the plan is to bring myself, my laptop and some clothes, and rent a room or Airbnb for a while until I'm established. I'm Canadian, but I'm about as far away from Vancouver as you can get in Canada. It'd be a big change for me for sure, but change is what I need right now, I feel.

Hey, cut them some slack. They aren't sure when they're going to be finished accepting submissions, and they only have so many man hours to dedicate to this alongside everything else they have to keep up with. I'm sure they're drowning in it right now, and I'm also sure what @nicklmg meant by "can't update every single person" was "we can't address everyone who doesn't make it past vetting"; Most businesses don't notify unsuccessful candidates that they've been passed over for a position. I get that he might not have gotten back to you yet about fixing the application, but it doesn't mean he won't.

He could've said so.

Just now, nastys said:

He could've said so.

Well yes, he could have, and probably should have.

@nastys I think he did answer your question in number 1. He mentioned that the issue was that the forum was set to private so nobody could get into it, so if you were able to get into it and you got the thanks for your submission message you should be good to go.

16 hours ago, nicklmg said:

1. Was set as private to the organization, had to set it public so that people could actually submit through it. If you submitted, you should be fine.

1 minute ago, Justin_ said:

@nastys I think he did answer your question in number 1. He mentioned that the issue was that the forum was set to private so nobody could get into it, so if you were able to get into it and you got the thanks for your submission message you should be good to go.

That's not the issue. I gave a wrong answer and I can't change it directly...

@nastys Oh i'm sorry, I got confused with another users issue, it's 6:45AM in my timezone and I have yet to sleep tonight.

9 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

@nastys Oh i'm sorry, I got confused with another users issue, it's 6:45AM in my timezone and I have yet to sleep tonight.

Yeah, that one was one of my questions, the one I was concerned about. Thankfully not a big deal. That said, you really should get some sleep. It's a 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM job after all. :P

I really should, that said I am one of those people that can switch the hours which I sleep over the course of about a day or two, it helps when I am doing night shifts tearing down concerts on the weekends, but want to be awake during the day over the course of the week.

On 10/21/2016 at 4:12 PM, nicklmg said:

Submit your application: http://bit.ly/2dvJBhy

Out of curiosity when do you need this possition filled by? Is this first come first serve or is there a time to apply by?

Just now, Okjoek said:

Out of curiosity when do you need this possition filled by? Is this first come first serve or is there a time to apply by?

I think @nicklmg answered this one already:

19 hours ago, nicklmg said:

1. Was set as private to the organization, had to set it public so that people could actually submit through it. If you submitted, you should be fine.

2. TBD - I don't think a timeline was ever given, and people have to remember that there are like 2-3 people here that would potentially be working on this (while completing the rest of the work required in our already busy schedules and observing things like weekends :P), while there are potentially thousands of applicants. I'll see if I can get an update on timing today but I'm certainly not going to guarantee it.

3. TBD. Decision date will not be for a LONG time as, again, we could potentially have hundreds or even THOUSANDS of resumes to go through for just 2-3 positions. Once resumes are done you get into phone/Hangouts interviews, aptitude tests, in-person interviews, trials, etc... Will probably be a couple months before we actually have anyone here in office as a result of this posting (especially if they end up relocating). If you don't hear back within a few weeks, then unfortunately you didn't make it to through the initial round. It's unfortunate that we can't update every single person, but that's just the way a hiring process usually has to work.

Emphasis mine. TL;DR, they have no firm close date, and they expect the process to take a couple of months due to the volume of applications received.

My body is ready!

I actually went ahead and wrote a script. 

Here's to hoping for a follow up so LMG can take a look at some of the content I have prepped, 

1 minute ago, Hellicon said:

My body is ready!

I actually went ahead and wrote a script. 

Here's to hoping for a follow up so LMG can take a look at some of the content I have prepped, 

Probably a good way to go about it; I've got something similar done up, so when I get the sample scripts I'll adapt it to the correct format.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:43 PM, nicklmg said:

We originally thought that server videos weren't suitable for the average LTT crowd, but some of them are among our most viewed videos.

Everyone loves watching linus play around with stupidly expensive stuff that he eventually ends up breaking...

On 25/10/2016 at 9:00 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Everyone loves watching linus play around with stupidly expensive stuff that he eventually ends up breaking...

I don't know man, when he placed the graphics cards of the MSI Vortex video stream on the VERY edge of the table, I almost got a heart attack. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

1 minute ago, Seabottom said:

I don't know man, when he placed the graphics cards of the MSI Vortex video stream on the VERY edge of the table, I almost got a heart attack. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Are you saying Linus' legendary ability to drop every single important graphics card he's got isn't profoundly entertaining? :P

19 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Just post in this thread right? Cool, so I'm in the running.

I've never written before but let's give it a shot. I'm great at a lot of things Linus, like following directions.

Nope, you need to submit a response to the Google Form: http://bit.ly/2dvJBhy (link from the description of the recruitment video)

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

Oh, well I guess I shouldn't apply. I'm not good enough at sarcasm ):

And I guess I should retract my application, because I missed the joke. :P

I happily applied! =]

I hope living a 15 min drive away from their HQ helps. xD

Just now, NavXIII said:

I happily applied! =]

I hope living a 15 min drive away from their HQ helps. xD

Maaaaaan, you've probably seen Linus' pimpin' pink ride in person. I'm jelly.

20 hours ago, Runefox said:

Maaaaaan, you've probably seen Linus' pimpin' pink ride in person. I'm jelly.

A 15 min drive in a grid street city is a very large distance lol.

On 24/10/2016 at 7:06 AM, nastys said:

And I made a mistake in the form. @nicklmg totally ignored my post and I've even sent an e-mail to @LinusTech but he hasn't replied yet. I don't really want to lose this opportunity because of such a mistake. I AM eligible! I couldn't even sleep last night!!

If the staff is reading this post, please be reasonable and contact me ASAP.

Or tell me how to contact someone that can help me.

So @Slick ignored my PM (even though he DID read it).

Even though I said (in this thread, not in the PM) that I would use another Google account and try to apply again, I'm not sure I want to do it anymore. I'm very, very disappointed by the lack of interest of the staff which I would NEVER have contacted directly if it wasn't for necessity.

I'm still waiting for a reply of any kind by the staff. I do not want to apply anymore.

And by the way, yes, I'm eligile to work in Canada. I meet all the criteria and according to the "official" survey, I may be eligible to work in Canada. In the video, @LinusTech stated that a work permit is no longer necessary to apply (as long as the applicant is eligible to work in Canada).

photo_2016-11-01_18-48-18.jpg

photo_2016-11-01_18-48-21.jpg

51 minutes ago, nastys said:

In the video, @LinusTech stated that a work permit is no longer necessary to apply (as long as the applicant is eligible to work in Canada).

He did? I just went back and re-watched it and the relevant section says this:

"Well we used to list all the things that would disqualify someone from applying, like for example not having a Canadian work permit, and provide an e-mail address below the video for resume submissions. But this has proven to be too complicated for some people in the past."

Did @LinusTech comment on the video or something clarifying that a work permit is no longer required? The Google form does specify that you need to be currently legally eligible eligible to work in Canada, with a yes, no, and other selection; The 'other' box is where I would suggest saying "I'm eligible for one and will have one as soon as you indicate intent to hire".

4 minutes ago, Runefox said:

He did? I just went back and re-watched it and the relevant section says this:

Did @LinusTech comment on the video or something clarifying that a work permit is no longer required? The Google form does specify that you need to be currently legally eligible eligible to work in Canada, with a yes, no, and other selection; The 'other' box is where I would suggest saying "I'm eligible for one and will have one as soon as you indicate intent to hire".

Even if it were the case, I'd still expect a reply. If by "eligible" he also meant currently having a working permit, then the staff could still change my answer from "No" to "Other" (instead of "Yes"), but they just ignored me.

Anyway, I do not want to apply anymore. I'm just too disappointed. Maybe next time.