Stay away from asus

King Joffrey

Just for the record, I read the title as "Stay away from my anus". I got reallly confused when I came in to read the thread.

I've also never had issues with asus boards. 

update: after 2 days of Asus having my motherboard they are now mailing me back a brand new Z170-A to resolve my RMA. my only complaint with the process was that they didn't send me an email when the board arrived or that they were working on the issue, or that the issue is resolved. However if not sending me emails and holding my hand means they can get me a fixed mobo in a day or two sooner, then I'm definitely okay with that.

Could be worse, you could have gotten an ASRock board and spent 2 months trying to support to send you a non defective board before they company blocks you calls and emails.  One of my buddies has a ASUS board that died twice, but was able to get it replaced, so despite support working with him and resolving the problem, that's two failures...

You guys are complaining about RMA issues with ASUS?

Try unlocking BIOS/vBIOS and overclocking their laptops (CPU and GPU)

That's when you'll REALLY hate ASUS and learn that Seager is SO MUCH better xD

Back to the topic: is MOST cases ASUS RMA is amazing. Used to work at BestBuy where all we did was RMA, we never fixed/replaced anything.

SOMEtimes you'll get a shit rep or a shit experience but like other users are saying: that's life and it IS going to happen. Just deal with it and keep pushing the RMA process.

I beatbox 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:16 AM, bobhays said:

I'm pretty sure that was just a myth. Also why screw Micro Center? they have great combo deals

I started as an enthusiast and overclocker but had to get out of the hobby for a few years.  To get back into it I went to micro center for a build and found a really smart guy who put my machine together, still have it and love it.  Built a hand full of machines for friends and family with his help.  It was perfect because I didn't have to stay up to date with technology and walked away happy (name dropped him to manager while buying a laptop, next time I went in he was DIY manager).

So this machine, I went in and tracked him down as usual but he ended up chatting with a co-worker instead of getting right to me.  Long story, not as long, I made several trips back to the store each time with different employee's and the service was horrible.  When I asked to upgrade a component in my cart he actually told me not to upgrade it.  Basically poor service, bad information and I'm unhappy with the build.  The biggest thing would be the r9 fury I bought and when I tried to return it, the return's manager was a huge bitch and wouldn't let me return it two or three day's outside of the return policy. (I told the guy who sold it to me several times I was going to water cool, he talked to his friend which had two of them and held up the last two r9 fury's in the store, I randomly picked the non-reference, the other one was reference)  By the time I got my water block the return period had just ended.

I could forget most of it and figure I just need to be a little more informed on what I'm buying, but when they won't back up their employee's mistakes and do a return..... I literally see no reason to shop there.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 hours ago, Psittac said:

snip

I understand your frustration but did you not check the waterblock's compatibility with the cards first?

8 hours ago, bobhays said:

I understand your frustration but did you not check the waterblock's compatibility with the cards first?

yeah I did, but the information on EK's website was very vague.  I should have known a little more before I started buying, this whole thing was an impulse.  And I understand that water cooling is a niche part of the niche DIY section of the hobby.  But like I said, I can look past most of it other than the fact that when I showed up 3 day's after the return policy allowed, even called ahead of time and someone told me that it was no big deal, only to be met with a bitch attitude from word one, that I can't look past.  I had to get confrontational with the lady, which is not in my nature.  I asked her why I shop at micro center then.

A little extra light on the return; I bought my r9 fury just as they were clearing the shelves for the rx 480 and 10x0 series, I didn't know they were coming out.  So she must have been having issues with people trying to return old gen cards.  I even told her that I wasn't looking for something different, I just wanted to exchange for a different r9 fury.  And she said that she couldn't return it because it's off the shelves or something.

Still my over all point would be, the reason I go to micro center and typically pay more for equipment that isn't the newest available comes down to the employee's.  When I can't get reliable advice from the sales people, and when the return department can't stand behind their advice..... it holds absolutely no value to me any more.

I have spent a large sum since boycotting them, so while no one in the company cares, I'll vote with my dollar somewhere else.

the whole situation is understandable with fault laying across the board, this whole thing has just made me realize that micro center isn't the store for me.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Hey guys! I had a terrible experience with "x" company! STAY AWAY FROM THEM! They for sure don't make great products, that's why they're still in business!

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

10 hours ago, Psittac said:

snip

Ok that clears it up a bit. I get what you mean, customer service can make a huge difference in my value of a company, but that being said I wouldn't not shop somewhere based off an experience with a single employee. As you mentioned you have had great experiences before. Either way I think MicroCenter's DIY section is pretty nice but it doesn't have the variety that Fry's does. Also surprised they don't ship.

I still remember horrendous Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z FX990 release... Alpha bios for 6 months, then we got BETA! 6 months after release and we were at beta level. Finally when bulldozer released I was fed enough with the board that I stepped away from Asus and AMD. 

So why I was bugged off by alpha and beta bioses? 3 min post time in alpha, 2 min in beta...

Asus ain't anymore so good what they used to be. Cost cuts here and there to make money for share holders or something. Same thing has happened to Logitech.

ASus have no prepare centres in the U.K. And there really hard to rma with over here

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

I once had to rma an asus laptop because the wifi broke. 

When the device came back. There was multiple pages of documentation showing it worked. Plus, they even replaced the hinge too because the old one had issues where you could hear cracking sounds when opening the device. (I did not mention it in the rma).

Later i found out it was an ISP issue.

The only "not soo good" thing is that it took almost a month. Hurry up asus!

If you speak as poorly as you type, honestly I'd have left you on hold forever too.

Asus is the best at making boards. Accept it!

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

On 10/27/2016 at 7:49 PM, bobhays said:

Ok that clears it up a bit. I get what you mean, customer service can make a huge difference in my value of a company, but that being said I wouldn't not shop somewhere based off an experience with a single employee. As you mentioned you have had great experiences before. Either way I think MicroCenter's DIY section is pretty nice but it doesn't have the variety that Fry's does. Also surprised they don't ship.

In the end the experience I had off of "one employee" was the only good experience I have had.  It just so happens that I went to that employee every time.  When I didn't go to him is when the crap hit the fan.  I interacted with a hand full of different employee's through this build and each of them were a let down.  This one employee named brian, was the only competent one I've come across, I could go in there with a vague idea of what I wanted and a dollar amount, he would make suggestions and listen to my response and in turn respond with logic about why or why not it would be a good idea.  Every other employee listened to nothing I said and even told me not to do thing's I later wished I had done.  I've built 4 or 5 machines with brian as my only source of information, still have the last one he built me sitting next to me and love it.  I don't know, just seams like everyone else doesn't offer much.

So yeah, based off one employee the store fill's in where it should. Based off every other employee it's fail bus.  If I just want something in hand today, it's a store to go to.  If I want to go in there knowing little about the current hardware scene and walk out happy, it apparently is not a good store.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

My Asus motherboard once broke and I get a new one in a couple weeks. RMA experience was pretty okay for me.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 10/28/2016 at 0:02 AM, sl06bhytmar said:

I still remember horrendous Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z FX990 release... Alpha bios for 6 months, then we got BETA! 6 months after release and we were at beta level. Finally when bulldozer released I was fed enough with the board that I stepped away from Asus and AMD. 

So why I was bugged off by alpha and beta bioses? 3 min post time in alpha, 2 min in beta...

Asus ain't anymore so good what they used to be. Cost cuts here and there to make money for share holders or something. Same thing has happened to Logitech.

Asus is still my go to brand, that or asrock.  I have had zero problems with Asus, and only one issue with asrock.  This x99 build I've been bitching about started with an asrock board and every time I made a change to the bios it would take a couple minutes to post.  Brought it back for an Asus and it's golden.  I can think of 7 machines I've built off the top of my head that are ASrock/Asus and that x99 was the only one that failed me (8 if you count the x99 twice having two different boards).

edit: but again it's not the product in question here; it's the customer service should there be a problem.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Really goes down to luck I guess, I've had 2 Gigabyte motherboards that died on me. Once during RMA period and that RMAed board died after the warranty period while Asus boards have been working great so far (touch wood) 

People die if they are killed. 

Asus has horrible customer support, thats nothing new, but there are not alone there, most of manufacturers doesn't care. Also their products are dying often despite that in theory their GPU/mobo pcbs are usually built with quality components. And their coolers are poor and monitors are absolute flaw fest without any quality control. I had to deal with their services two times, once RMA for GPU and once for mobo. With GPU after 32 days without any news I demanded refund from retailer, and motherboard, Z97-P, died for no reason so I bought different one from different brand and then sent Asus one to RMA so I didn't care about how long it will take them, but I got replacement after about 40 days, new mobo arrived out of nowhere, I didn't get any updates on RMA process or information about shipping. I sold it later for around 70% of original price so everything ended well, but some money was lost and I had to replace component that should last for at least 5 years.

This is not the worst company in the world, but also there is nothing significant about them that makes them better than others and could make you buy their products instead of others, just overhyped average quality brand that does a lot of fancy things for fanboys. If you have an option of buying something from more serious manufacturer who cares about his customers then go for it, as there are no significant quality advantages for Asus, and if you don't then wherever you go you will get something like Asus, you buy something and in case it breaks, you are screwed for like 2 months. This is typical case, not only Asus. MSI, Gibabyte, almost all of them, very little chances for getting replacement/repair in less than 30 days. Which is not an excuse for Asus, but let's be realistic.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

I've really only bought two things from Asus, which were all in the same build. Bought at the same time were a cruddy H81 motherboard that I got for basically dirt cheap at the time (around $50), and a DVD-RW drive (around $20), which I used with a Pentium G3250 build a while back for my younger brother. The total cost of the build was $335, so you know I was building a (albeit, cost-effective) turd.

Here's the parts list. Everything was exclusively bought on Amazon, and I used my Prime subscription, so I didn't have to pay for shipping.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2zNdFd

Ignore the USB 3.0 ports thing. At the time, this case only had USB 2.0 ports, so it may have been updated at some point.

The motherboard only had two fan headers - one for the CPU and one for the case fans, so I bought a PWM splitter. 

The person who I built it for likes black fingerprinty glossy plastic, and this case was perfect while costing next to nothing. There are no cable management holes, so I ended up improvising and used the the twist ties with the small holes on the edge of the case where the side panel is placed. Yes, the case is crap, and I even managed to cut myself.

Funny enough, despite the G3250 (according to ARK) and the motherboard claiming that RAM faster than 1333 MHz isn't supported, yet Windows 10's Task Manager reports the RAM running fine at 1600 MHz. I'm not sure about how that works, but I'll take it. The motherboard also had some weird XMP profiles for weird speeds like 1520 MHz.

To this day, the motherboard and DVD-RW still work perfectly, meaning I haven't had the misfortune of contacting their customer service, so I suppose I really have nothing to complain about with Asus.

Had to RMA my motherboard because there was a 50% chance that if I plug something into front USB 3.0 ports, the computer would freeze up. The RMA process itself sucked. I waited a month after they said there were going to start the RMA process and emailed them back asking what was taking so long. Turns out they forgot to even start it. The good news is that it was repaired successfully (I think I got my exact same mobo back) and now it works. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

i bought asus zenfone deluxe and enrolled for Asus "exclusive experience INR 100 for 1 year INR 500 for 10 Years"so i have signed up for 10 years and i had 750ti asus ( i dont remember the exact model) and had to RMA it so they picked it up from my place and left a new card at my place packaging and all also with the option of buying Extended warranty(which i took bcoz only Rs 1000) So when i kinda messed that up (by now 750ti was discontinued and maxwell was all the rage) so when i called them they said " Pay us the prize diffrence and we will deliver A gtx 970 (they took launch prize MRPs so my 970(strix edition) upgrade  costed me only Rs 150 ($2) and i didnt have to leave my home 

3 hours ago, Psittac said:

In the end the experience I had off of "one employee" was the only good experience I have had.  It just so happens that I went to that employee every time.  When I didn't go to him is when the crap hit the fan.  I interacted with a hand full of different employee's through this build and each of them were a let down.  This one employee named brian, was the only competent one I've come across, I could go in there with a vague idea of what I wanted and a dollar amount, he would make suggestions and listen to my response and in turn respond with logic about why or why not it would be a good idea.  Every other employee listened to nothing I said and even told me not to do thing's I later wished I had done.  I've built 4 or 5 machines with brian as my only source of information, still have the last one he built me sitting next to me and love it.  I don't know, just seams like everyone else doesn't offer much.

So yeah, based off one employee the store fill's in where it should. Based off every other employee it's fail bus.  If I just want something in hand today, it's a store to go to.  If I want to go in there knowing little about the current hardware scene and walk out happy, it apparently is not a good store.

Yea that makes a lot of sense. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the people working there are pretty uninformed. I wish there was one near my school that I could work at. I applied to Fry's as well but never got a response (which I hate, at least give me a no thanks)

3 hours ago, Psittac said:

Asus is still my go to brand, that or asrock.  I have had zero problems with Asus, and only one issue with asrock.  This x99 build I've been bitching about started with an asrock board and every time I made a change to the bios it would take a couple minutes to post.  Brought it back for an Asus and it's golden.  I can think of 7 machines I've built off the top of my head that are ASrock/Asus and that x99 was the only one that failed me (8 if you count the x99 twice having two different boards).

edit: but again it's not the product in question here; it's the customer service should there be a problem.

I've had 0 problems with Asus, but I've also had 0 problems with all the others ones so meh. I like to stick with Asus but i'm not too picky.

I've bought a few Asus products over the years, desktop components, peripherals, and laptops. I've had a few products from them that seemed to not be the best design. Common things seem to be cheaper materials, even on a few of the higher end products like ROG laptops, and some mediocre software on some products. Only product failures I've had are an Asus router and the hard drive of an Asus laptop. The router was rather cheap so I didn't bother replacing it, but the laptop was through Amazon so they replaced it with a new one within a week. Asus has a couple common issues, but for the price I will definitely keep using them for most computer components. As for their service, I just always try to go through Amazon because I feel like I can trust them with product issues, and product failures will happen, QC can't catch everything.

5 hours ago, T271 said:

I've bought a few Asus products over the years, desktop components, peripherals, and laptops. I've had a few products from them that seemed to not be the best design. Common things seem to be cheaper materials, even on a few of the higher end products like ROG laptops, and some mediocre software on some products. Only product failures I've had are an Asus router and the hard drive of an Asus laptop. The router was rather cheap so I didn't bother replacing it, but the laptop was through Amazon so they replaced it with a new one within a week. Asus has a couple common issues, but for the price I will definitely keep using them for most computer components. As for their service, I just always try to go through Amazon because I feel like I can trust them with product issues, and product failures will happen, QC can't catch everything.

Yeah, my friend had an asus laptop that crapped out, not sure what he ever did with it.  But then again laptop's are junk across the board.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70