Is 500Watt enough?

Brian Furious
Go to solution Solved by quan289,
1 hour ago, Brian Furious said:

I was wondering why my CX600 has 2x PCIE power connectors if it wasn't for gaming properly. We speak back in the days in 2012 when I bought it and since then I am sure there are much better PSUs than this, but let's face it my i3 4130 and GTX 760 is just enough for this PSU that I bought long time ago. However here the problem is that I have another cheap one that needed for a new build. (no I can't use this PSU in the new build since it's not mine :P ) . However I don't think that is better low Wattage rated golden rather than a higher wattage bronze which I think is just enough. Like 550Watt 80 gold rather than a 750 80 bronze at the same price

When I bought the CX v2 the v3 did not even exist 

I'm aware that the the v3 may not have been existed yet when you bought the v2. My point was that just because something works never give you any noticeable problems within the time span you had owned, that shouldn't give you the reason to continue to used or buy another PSU without any concern for its quality.

I have dealt with people who own PoS power supplies that seemingly power their system just "fine" and wonder why the certain components had died multiples of times within a year or two due to poor DC output quality - not all power supplies goes out in a bang. Of course, the CXv2 wasn't that bad; however, since you are buying a new power supply, especially one to power a new $400+ GPU, putting some money into getting a proper, modern day PSU for your system is well worth the investment.

Also, the 550w Gold vs 750w Bronze point. It's a matter of which specific unit we are talking about. There are 750w power supplies that goes out of specs at ~550wDC, in which case, I have no problem buying a quality 550w Gold unit like the Seasonic G 550w over it. Of course, that doesn't mean I would get the FSP Aurum 550 Gold over the EVGA Supernova 750 B2.

Anyways, if you want something inexpensive, the new CX450M / 550M / 650M are some good, modern budget options which should be in the same price point as the CX430 / 500 / 600 / M.

Hello guys. I was wondering if I can use my old 500Watt CoolerMaster PSU for:

Intel Core i7 6700k (won't OC with this PSU at all)

16GB RAM ddr4 3000Mhz

nVIDIA GTX 1070 Asus Strix

1 SSD

1 HDD

I have done a theorical calculation and it's about 380Watt and reccomanded a 460Watt. Will it be safe to have the PSU cause I wouldn't affroad another PSU.

Depends on the brand/quality but you should be fine.

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

What power supply exactly?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the wattage should be fine. What is the exact model number of the psu? I would hate for you to destroy your hardware because of a low quality psu. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 minutes ago, Brian Furious said:

16GB RAM ddr4 3000Mhz

1 SSD

1 HDD

I have done a theorical calculation and it's about 380Watt and reccomanded a 460Watt. Will it be safe to have the PSU cause I wouldn't affroad another PSU.

That system will breach 300W only if overclocked. What 500W Cooler Master unit is it? They have some super shitty units.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yes, 500W is enough, but you should use a PSU from a reliable brand like EVGA or seasonic.

Then you don't risk a housefire from a cheap CM PSU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How old is it? They lose capacity over time. If more than 5 years, toss it in the trash.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

As last replier mention it has about 6 years of life. As I look on the PSU the Product NO. is RS-500-PSAP-J3, it must be a cheap chinese PSU. It also says that the +3.3V & 5V & + 12V shall not go over 427.9W . So it is basically a 420Watt PSU.

With a 6 years old PSU, and basically a 420Watt should I keep it?

No. It's not. I have the exact same components in my computer and power usage howers around 400-450 wats at load. That is too much for 500W PSU. I'd say at least 550W, so you always have at least 100W more than you can draw. If you calculate on the cooler master site or sth, you will get around 380W total power draw, but in real live with all the devices runing and everything it's higher. If i were you, i'd get a 600W. But a 550W will do as well. Cheers

P.S. remember the efficiency curve of a PSU. the best is around 70/80% usage. 

Alright then. I don't even think it has 80 bronze certificate at least. I'll get a CX 600 for 50 bucks then

5 hours ago, Brian Furious said:

Alright then. I don't even think it has 80 bronze certificate at least. I'll get a CX 600 for 50 bucks then

The PSU you currently have a can confidently call garbage and really needs to be upgraded. That said 500W is more than enough.

The CX 600W is not a fantastic PSU and I wouldn't recommend that you get that one in particular, but it is still very much an upgrade.

Get an EVGA G2, B2, GS, GQ, anything from Seasonic or XFX (excluding the XT), Corsair RM, RMi/RMx/HXi, Vengeance, CX450/550/650M instead.

5 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The PSU you currently have a can confidently call garbage and really needs to be upgraded. That said 500W is more than enough.

The CX 600W is not a fantastic PSU and I wouldn't recommend that you get that one in particular, but it is still very much an upgrade.

Get an EVGA G2, B2, GS, GQ, anything from Seasonic or XFX (excluding the XT), Corsair RM, RMi/RMx/HXi, Vengeance, CX450/550/650M instead.

Well I know many good quality PSUs as well. That would be my new friend's PC. Personally I have a Corsair CX600 V2 for 4 years and never had problem with it. The max underload peak that I had is 300Watt. You just mentioned pretty much all the 80 gold certificate PSUs which are expensive af :D .I would like also to get a modular (no semi! ) because I want to save space, better airflow, and cables replacement. My PSU has a broken V12 rail to a wire which became black, I think it was about to burn, so I just have settled by myself and it is working just fine. Now from a €1000 budget PC I think I'd have to cut off some part like the CPU or maybe getting a SSD later on.

17 minutes ago, Brian Furious said:

Well I know many good quality PSUs as well. That would be my new friend's PC. Personally I have a Corsair CX600 V2 for 4 years and never had problem with it. The max underload peak that I had is 300Watt. You just mentioned pretty much all the 80 gold certificate PSUs which are expensive af :D .I would like also to get a modular (no semi! ) because I want to save space, better airflow, and cables replacement. My PSU has a broken V12 rail to a wire which became black, I think it was about to burn, so I just have settled by myself and it is working just fine. Now from a €1000 budget PC I think I'd have to cut off some part like the CPU or maybe getting a SSD later on.

The CX V2 is not great, the efficiency rating is not all what makes a good PSU, example the CX 400W is quite good and it is has an 80+ White efficiency. The CX 430/500/600 are just a based on a mid tier PSU platform and not designed for a gaming GPU.

If you are looking for a cheaper but very good PSU, the XFX TS, Corsair CX 450/550/650, Corsair Vengeance, Antec High Current Gamer and EVGA B2 are very good options. 

Just an FYI, the CXv2 did have reported primary cap failure, which cause Corsair to address it in the v3 / Mv1 model. While the CX600M can power your setup, it's a bit obsolete and of poor value. Look into getting the newer CX450M / 550M for your system or the Corsair Vengeance 550M which is a better build version of the new CX model.

16 hours ago, Brian Furious said:

16GB RAM ddr4 3000Mhz

1 SSD

1 HDD

18 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The CX V2 is not great, the efficiency rating is not all what makes a good PSU, example the CX 400W is quite good and it is has an 80+ White efficiency. The CX 430/500/600 are just a based on a mid tier PSU platform and not designed for a gaming GPU.

If you are looking for a cheaper but very good PSU, the XFX TS, Corsair CX 450/550/650, Corsair Vengeance, Antec High Current Gamer and EVGA B2 are very good options. 

I was wondering why my CX600 has 2x PCIE power connectors if it wasn't for gaming properly. We speak back in the days in 2012 when I bought it and since then I am sure there are much better PSUs than this, but let's face it my i3 4130 and GTX 760 is just enough for this PSU that I bought long time ago. However here the problem is that I have another cheap one that needed for a new build. (no I can't use this PSU in the new build since it's not mine :P ) . However I don't think that is better low Wattage rated golden rather than a higher wattage bronze which I think is just enough. Like 550Watt 80 gold rather than a 750 80 bronze at the same price

9 minutes ago, quan289 said:

Just an FYI, the CXv2 did have reported primary cap failure, which cause Corsair to address it in the v3 / Mv1 model. While the CX600M can power your setup, it's a bit obsolete and of poor value. Look into getting the newer CX450M / 550M for your system or the Corsair Vengeance 550M which is a better build version of the new CX model.

1 hour ago, Brian Furious said:

I'm aware that the the v3 may not have been existed yet when you bought the v2. My point was that just because something works never give you any noticeable problems within the time span you had owned, that shouldn't give you the reason to continue to used or buy another PSU without any concern for its quality.

I have dealt with people who own PoS power supplies that seemingly power their system just "fine" and wonder why the certain components had died multiples of times within a year or two due to poor DC output quality - not all power supplies goes out in a bang. Of course, the CXv2 wasn't that bad; however, since you are buying a new power supply, especially one to power a new $400+ GPU, putting some money into getting a proper, modern day PSU for your system is well worth the investment.

Also, the 550w Gold vs 750w Bronze point. It's a matter of which specific unit we are talking about. There are 750w power supplies that goes out of specs at ~550wDC, in which case, I have no problem buying a quality 550w Gold unit like the Seasonic G 550w over it. Of course, that doesn't mean I would get the FSP Aurum 550 Gold over the EVGA Supernova 750 B2.

Anyways, if you want something inexpensive, the new CX450M / 550M / 650M are some good, modern budget options which should be in the same price point as the CX430 / 500 / 600 / M.