NVIDIA Announces Tegra 'Parker'

HKZeroFive

For Hot Chips 28, NVIDIA has the first details on the new Tegra chip, codenamed Parker, in their luggage. This is based on two Denver-2 ARM cores plus four Cortex-A57 cores, coupled with a 256 shader-strong graphics solution from the Pascal-generation. With a focus on the automotive market, Nvidia has introduced the new Tegra solution more closely. This is part of the overall package of the Drive PX 2 revealed at CES 2016 and combined it with the latest technologies from Nvidia in a modern 16-nm FinFET process from TSMC.

The heart of the new Tegra solution are the revised Denver-2-cores that will compete generously equipped with large L1I caches of 128 kb and 64 kb L1D cache per core and 2MB L2 cache for two cores. They are also supported by four classic Cortex-A57 and should as a CPU Complex form. No less important is the 256 shader strong graphics solution from the current Pascal generation. This is supplemented with a doubling of LPDDR4 memory including ECC support and a bandwidth of 50 gigabytes per second now instead of the previous 25 GB / s.

1-630.2129698855.png

5-630.2390062298.png

NVIDIA now marketed Parker along with the Drive PX2 as  "the world's first supercomputer AI for self-propelled cars ". The cores are aggregated around the kit, as in marketing typically called as a first: 12 CPU cores and Pascal graphics solutions for a total of 8 TFLOPS performance. However, Nvidia surprised at the presentation and set a comprehensive block diagram of the entire system before.

No statements for other use purposes.

12-630.4016661582.png

11-630.3305326309.png

13-630.2322721985.png

NVIDIA is indeed going hard with marketing the new Tegra chip with Drive PX 2, aligning their intentions to further expand into the automotive industry. Whether or not NVIDIA reworks it for other uses remains ambiguous at the moment but I can say with certainty that this will not be the chip that will power the upcoming the Nintendo NX. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/nvidia-tegra-parker-denver-2-arm-pascal-16-nm/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Oh nice!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

A shame about those A57 cores. A72 is a much better design. I know I know "long development time" but it was after all announced like 18 months ago with the successor A73 right around the corner.

OH NIce! Now what are the GPU specs?

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

A shame about those A57 cores. A72 is a much better design. I know I know "long development time" but it was after all announced like 18 months ago with the successor A73 right around the corner.

It uses 2 Denver and 2 A57.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

OH NIce! Now what are the GPU specs?

It uses 2 Denver and 2 A57.

Actually it uses 2 Denver cores and 4 A47 cores but that's beside the point. The A57 was a pretty bad product. I guess it was all they (Nvidia) had to work with at the time of development.

Wait didn't Nvidia state that they will stop making SoC? I'm I missing something?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Actually it uses 2 Denver cores and 4 A47 cores but that's beside the point. The A57 was a pretty bad product. I guess it was all they (Nvidia) had to work with at the time of development.

ohhhhhhhhhh. I thought it was 2 A57.

10 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Wait didn't Nvidia state that they will stop making SoC? I'm I missing something?

Nope. They just said they'll stop making tablets. Not SOCs

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Is it a...Parker Square? xD

I don't know how many of you know the joke.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

NVIDIA - Now water cooling ARM chips! 

I wonder if they included those four A57 cores because Denver is bad, or if they did it for some other purpose.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder if they included those four A57 cores because Denver is bad, or if they did it for some other purpose.

If I recall, Denver had excellent performance in some work loads and awful performance in others, so it was very inconsistent. I guess they're trying to account for that by splitting up the work to favor each core's forte. I'm sure our local expert robot overlords will jump at the chance to tell you all about how the Denver core works.

5 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

No. Seriously where do you people get this crap info?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

He's thinking of tablets. Although there isn't anything stating they're done with tablets, just that nvidia file a dismissal letter with the FCC for the shield tablet 2 

15 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Bingo found it:

Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Bingo found it:

Hmm, seems like it has been misinterpreted a bit. They have quit smartphone SoCs and probably tablet as well (including actual devices). Tegra will live on as automotive chips only; that's a very different market.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Hmm, seems like it has been misinterpreted a bit. They have quit smartphone SoCs and probably tablet as well (including actual devices). Tegra will live on as automotive chips only; that's a very different market.

So no "mobile" SoCs, but we are getting car and possibly console SoCs if I understood correctly.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

So no "mobile" SoCs, but we are getting car and possibly console SoCs if I understood correctly.

I'd take the Nintendo rumor with a grain of salt. I mean it's not impossible - not at all - but no solid evidence has been shown, so let's see how that plays out.

And yeah, I suppose so on the "no mobile SoCs" although I'm not sure if the quote meant smartphones only (very different TDP and Nvidia couldn't make it work in the end) or if the tablet market along with their devices is abandoned as well. Besides the Shield Tablet, I think the Nexus was the only product to ship with an Nvidia chip, so that would explain why they would shift their focus if they abandon it. All depends on the sales of their Shield Tablet and if the FCC info is confirmation (probably is) or if they merely wanted to pull the product to put it back on the drawing board (unlikely).

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

ohhhhhhhhhh. I thought it was 2 A57.

Nope. They just said they'll stop making tablets. Not SOCs

Yea,that explains why i'm still alive xD 

So is this unit water cooled?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

37 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Bingo found it:

30 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Based o the language of the article, it seems to only be applying to phones and phablets. As long as the ARM tablet market is around, Nvidia would love to have a piece of it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

39 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

If I recall, Denver had excellent performance in some work loads and awful performance in others, so it was very inconsistent. I guess they're trying to account for that by splitting up the work to favor each core's forte. I'm sure our local expert robot overlords will jump at the chance to tell you all about how the Denver core works.

Yeah, but I don't get the reason for the hybrid design.

Denver was slow in two scenarios.

1) If the code morphing failed to create efficient code.

2) When the code morphing was completely skipped and it executed native ARM code.

I can see those scenarios happening a lot on phones and tablets, but in cars? You'd hope that the one developing the car OS which will control the AI want to spend a bit more time on optimizations than what a developer creating a 1 dollar app for Android would do. So scenario 1 should hopefully not happen at all (or at least not enough times for it to warrant this hybrid design), and couldn't you solve scenario 2 by "pre-morphing" the code (I just assume this is possible)?

If Denver is a lot better than A57 then shouldn't Nvidia have tried to use them for everything, and not spent a ton of space and silicon on the A57 cluster?

If Denver isn't that much better than A57 then why designing this complicated hybrid design to begin with?

Maybe they will be used for different purposes. Like maybe the Denver cores will be used for some AI thing, and the A57 cores will be used to run something like Android Auto or some more general car OS. Nvidia probably has some idea behind it but to me it seems weird.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

snip

Well, if one set of cores runs Android Auto and the other runs AI/autonomous driving/auto pilot, that would be different work loads, so my comment isn't wrong, is it? :) 

And I imagine that your assumption is right on the money in that regard. However who knows what Nvidia is thinking? They might have gone bonkers when Tegra crashed and burned on phones after all their investments in the market. Seems like they're trying to find a place for Tegra and this time it will be in cars and this time they will make sure it succeeds.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Denver performance is usually good but I think they were worried about power consumption.