Razer Core Deep Dive

razer - please do the same for a cpu socket so i can do this with my core duo

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

"CAN IT HANDEL THE BIGGEST HOTTEST GRAPHICS CARDS ON THE MARKET" He picks up the 6990 while the GTX 480 is on the table. 

You must have missed the part at 2:05 when he calls the GTX 480 "one of the hottest, most power-hungry cards ever made."

That or you're trolling, in which case carry on.

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

You must have missed the part at 2:05 when he calls the GTX 480 "one of the hottest, most power-hungry cards ever made."

That or you're trolling, in which case carry on.

So making a joke is considered trolling now? :|

2 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

So making a joke is considered trolling now? :|

Haha sorry I use those words relatively interchangeably. My bad.

Nah not at all, the rocksalt is just too palpable with some people who LEGITIMATELY call the "Nvidia shill" card all the time, and it's always tough to perceive sarcasm through text :)

Still looks like it makes much more sense to just build a dang desktop for home use, you can do a fairly decent desktop for the price of this thing once you factor out the video card costs, since you'll have that cost either way.

500 USD for a Thunderbolt Casing which supports GPU and what Linus have tested other PCI-E cards

is a huge pill to swallow

I do hope that similar products will be coming soon to drive down the cost

Razer support has always been bad.

RMA even a Razor mouse take ages to get back to me

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/PJq5

We scratched the surface with our Razer Core review a few weeks back... Now let's take a closer look at what it can actually do!

Hello, I saw your video reviewing the mis gt80 titan which had 2 980m in sli I would really like to hear your opinions about the gt80s which has 2 desktop 980s in sli and a 6950 mobile i7 processor.

My biggest complaint about the LTT channel always was the superficiality and lack of detail in many if not most reviews. This is why this video makes me very happy and I really hope that you'll continue with this deep dive approach!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

can I use Razer Core with my MBPr? obviously on windows in bootcamp, but still

L-Linus? :)

Does it work with laptops that have TB1 or TB2?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, Kosak said:

can I use Razer Core with my MBPr? obviously on windows in bootcamp, but still

L-Linus? :)

Techinferno forums.

Check those out. You cannot use the usbC-TB3(40gps) with a regular usbC or TB2 or TB1 port.

You probably have a thunderbolt2(20gps) macbook, for which the most popular eGPU setup was with the akitio thunder2 box for 200$. Im currently wavering in buying a cheap as possible TB2 retina macbook, the RazerCore i was considering for its higher speed thus lasting for one future gpu upgrade + ETHERNET.

Linus why did you say Apple is years away from this? This has been a thing on Apple notebooks since the introduction of Thunderbolt and devices that can hold pcie express slots. This just so happens to be the first real product that is made for what the community has been hacking together for years.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

!!!!!!!!!!

Those 480GTX and HD6990 cards !!!!

VINTAGE!!!

so cool, that's for nostalgia, that's so awesome ))))

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

!!!!!!!!!!

Those 480GTX and HD6990 cards !!!!

VINTAGE!!!

so cool, that's for nostalgia, that's so awesome ))))

If Vintage = 2011.

does 1985 = mythical?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Wait, you didn't answer if AMD or Nvidia matters, the only AMD card tested seemed to be that 6990

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, knightslugger said:

If Vintage = 2011.

does 1985 = mythical?

man... like half the forums wasn't even born yet

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Wait, you didn't answer if AMD or Nvidia matters, the only AMD card tested seemed to be that 6990

I thought he said HD6990 didn't install drivers

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I thought he said HD6990 didn't install drivers

Not sure an ancient dual GPU card is entirely relevant vs their more modern GPUs, also I don't know if the legacy drivers for the 6990 has XConnect in them

AMD has shown it working, but that's AMD in probably a best case scenario

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hello.

I wanted to add an email I recieved today from AKITIO about their future TB3 eGPU setup.

" Hi, -----, Thanks for your interests with Akitio's products. Neither Thunder2 or Thunder3 PCIe Box was designed for the eGPU application. This was the reason why we explicitly said in the press release and our web site that eGPU is not supported. In order to support eGPU, there would be more requirements such as larger power supply, bigger enclosure, thermal solution, and others. We are indeed developing a eGFX box to take all these into consideration. Before it is available (probably in Q4 this year), please consider the Thunderbolt 3 HDK (http://www.inxtron.com/products/thunderbolt3-hdk) which is a DIY kit to explore your desired applications. Regards, wen"

So the TB3->PCIE adapter is 280$.  ....(for DIY individuals/developers atm)

Its new tech so hopefully prices will drop with mass production and apples 2016 macbooks are rumored to be all USBC so more mainstream.

Hello.

It may be a nooby and bit offtopic question but ive never actually built a PC myself yet. Ive looked into a lot of eGPU possiblities recently.

My question is - Can you make a Desktop + Laptop hybrid combo? Or specifically can I build a desktop that uses its muscles on a laptops harddrive?

The main advantage of a eGPU means NO 2 SYSTEMS TO ALWAYS COPY. (ex. I game and work till latenight, press CTRL+S and go to bed...NOPE, I need to copy the new file to laptop if i want to use it in school morning....not to mention maintaing all programs and their settings on 2 different machines...its just a hassle)

a) ive seen bootable portable SSD that you just plug into laptops USB 3.0...so you swap your portable bootdrive between the 2 machines...

Are there bottlenecks on the desktop with those? It also seems like another altough smaller hassle, you can lose or forget your whole system and it takes up a USB slot on the ultrabook.

b) Is there a possiblity to have such a bootdrive IN THE laptop?

Im thinking basically of a externalGPU setup, but instead of a razerCore im just building a full desktop. The dream would be running both desktops CPU and GPU and having the laptop not neccesary plug&play but at least it working standalone with all its already few ports.

Dont care if its expensive. Or is above optionA as far as its possible atm?

Not so long ago quick tests with connecting to XPS 15 were unstable/useless. Maybe with some TB3 firmware force updates it will work, but still that's a unsupported feature from both vendors.

IMHO TB3 eGPU is to much vendor locked to be viable now. ExpressCard/M2/mPCIe eGPU solutions showed up without any certifications and licenses - cheap and seems to be working. MSI and Alienware have some of their own solutions - bit cheaper than TB3. Alienware seems bit more mature, while gen 2 laptops for MSI aren't AFAIK released yet. MSI GS30 with their dock costs like crazy (can be more than Alienware with 980m and GA), where as laptop has many gen 1 issues.

GPU lockdown is in laptop maker favour (forcing to buy a new one). If laptops would commonly use MXM for GPU and without any BIOS/firmware locks it would be way easier and there would be no needs for measly TB3 eGPU. Now even if a gaming laptop has MXM GPU there is no guarantee that the vendor will want to support newer cards (there was  a case where Clevo pretty much ... very hard owners of few of their quite new models refusing to support Maxwell GPUs that were released months after those laptops - yet custom BIOS hacked in would easily support them AFAIK).