Razer Core Deep Dive

I think Linus is right not to recommend this thing. It's interesting to say the least, but I can't think of anyone I know I would suggest this to. I would just tell them to take the ~500 dollars and build a PC to put that GPU into.

"larger power supply"

Power supplies are really available in many configurations at reasonable prices to the general public. Obtaining a "larger" one is not a problem.

"bigger enclosure"

Enclosing a GPU us not required. A GPU functions within operating parameters in Earth's atmosphere.

"thermal solution"

Fans, like power supplies are readily available. And have been proven to be a viable method for cooling GPUs.

If your laptop has a express card slot, you can just use this (www.banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html)

Much cheaper (but you need a extra power supply)

15 minutes ago, bleuthoot said:

If your laptop has a express card slot, you can just use this (www.banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html)

I hope we get PCI-e access as easy as RAM some day on laptops.

Linus! I waited and waited for this video, and you DIDN'T answer (what I think is) the most important/relevant question: CAN the Core replace a current gaming desktop?

You only used a 1080p resolution for graphics. While the core may lose ground at higher frame rates to a desktop at lower resolutions, what will it do at 1440p or 4k with a higher end graphics card? AND, does the 2 core RB stealth significantly hold the core back vs the 4 core RB 2016?

You also left out good acoustical information. I know you said you'd replace the fans, but are they standard 3 pin fans? What size? Whats involved in replacing them? And how loud IS it? Louder than that Dan Case A4? Louder than a desktop?

My wife wants me to ditch my desktop, but I can keep the nice 1440p gsync monitor. I'd really love to know if I can get by with the RB Stealth, or if I need the RB 2016 AND the RB Core with GTX 1080 and still hit 60+ FPS in any/some/most games. And if I can, whats the acoustical penalty? I'd LIKE to have a single computer and the portability of a laptop for day to day use, but still be able to plug in at home and play games IF I can maintain at/near 60 FPS. 

3 hours ago, grit said:

Linus! I waited and waited for this video, and you DIDN'T answer (what I think is) the most important/relevant question: CAN the Core replace a current gaming desktop?

You only used a 1080p resolution for graphics. While the core may lose ground at higher frame rates to a desktop at lower resolutions, what will it do at 1440p or 4k with a higher end graphics card? AND, does the 2 core RB stealth significantly hold the core back vs the 4 core RB 2016?

You also left out good acoustical information. I know you said you'd replace the fans, but are they standard 3 pin fans? What size? Whats involved in replacing them? And how loud IS it? Louder than that Dan Case A4? Louder than a desktop?

My wife wants me to ditch my desktop, but I can keep the nice 1440p gsync monitor. I'd really love to know if I can get by with the RB Stealth, or if I need the RB 2016 AND the RB Core with GTX 1080 and still hit 60+ FPS in any/some/most games. And if I can, whats the acoustical penalty? I'd LIKE to have a single computer and the portability of a laptop for day to day use, but still be able to plug in at home and play games IF I can maintain at/near 60 FPS. 

Just put your tower in the wall, where she can't see it. Or it's just a power play.

On 8/10/2016 at 6:05 PM, bleuthoot said:

I just saw this video the day after LTT video.  Is there any way LTT could do a comparison of the two? Right now the Mini PCI-E dock is going for $49 on Banggood. MUCH cheaper than the core. The video indicates that it can use the external graphics card on the laptop display as well. I would love to see this comparison video!