PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

If there's something to know about Jonnyguru.com it's that the members there generally value a PSU's fan and noise as well as protections (especially Stefan Payne) more than any other place on the Internet. That may be (just one) reason why they find most tier lists bad, along with just disliking tier lists. I guess in the end there is some irony since the Jonnyguru was working on a tier list himself. Though, that one differed a bit by almost acting as an information table on different PSUs and not basing anything off ripple and voltage scores.

If you wanted you could always make an offtopic post on Jonnyguru asking what they think could be improved in this tier list, or to point out a few specific units they think are misplaced. But chances are the only responses you'd get would be disrespectful.

13 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=520 T1? Seems to beat the G2 although only Semi Mod (ATX/EPS are hardwired)...

Lol, only Tier 2. Also, it's already on the list.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

If you wanted you could always make an offtopic post on Jonnyguru asking what they think could be improved in this tier list, or to point out a few specific units they think are misplaced. But chances are the only responses you'd get would be disrespectful.

just from that thread and from earlier threads, it's pretty obvious they're just gonna insult him and ban him afterwards, judging from Johnny's reply. that's not his first ban threat for listing a tier list too, i remember him threatening to ban some old members for linking/mentioning this tier list some time back.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

11 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

If there's something to know about Jonnyguru.com it's that the members there generally value a PSU's fan and noise as well as protections (especially Stefan Payne) more than any other place on the Internet. That may be (just one) reason why they find most tier lists bad, along with just disliking tier lists. I guess in the end there is some irony since the Jonnyguru was working on a tier list himself. Though, that one differed a bit by almost acting as an information table on different PSUs and not basing anything off ripple and voltage scores.

I, too, value a fan and protections but subjective things of importance like noise are not that important to me (well, as an individual I like a very quiet PSU, yes but to the broad population I don't put one unit one tier above for being quiet or anything like that). I'm sure the people there can find some common ground with me but I think the snobbish attitude of the users there is too off-putting for me to want to post there. The thread you linked right there has a user with an FX 6XXX CPU, a 750 TI and a $120 Seasonic PSU to power it. That's a ludicrous mishandling of money for a PC and I think that if I didn't agree to follow that trend I'd not be "one of them," if that makes sense, as if they wouldn't value my input.

I'd assume that they would want to modify this list to the point where it loses any resemblance of its succinctness which is what makes it digestible and approachable. It is what it is.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 hours ago, JDE said:

Lol, only Tier 2. Also, it's already on the list.

Why though? According to Oklahoma's tests it went toe to toe with the G2, beating it in some areas...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

11 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Why though? According to Oklahoma's tests it went toe to toe with the G2, beating it in some areas...

Hmm, might have read different reviews, seem to recall JG saying it was minutely better than the G2 in VREG.

Anyways, my brain is too tired to process this so good night man :)

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On the 850w Units the TXM did 0.47% reg whilst the G2 did 0.9% cold, the TXM thrashed the G2 in efficiency (G2 needed the 1% margin to pass gold, the TXM used that margin to hit platinum) cold as well.

In the hot box the G2 barely hit Gold and had a reg of 1.2% whilst the TXM easily passed gold (No platinum this time though) and had a reg of 0.69%.

The G2 had pretty much equal ripple control as the TXM on 3.3V and 5V rails and beat it on 12V rail.

Overall the TXM and G2 seem to beat approximately equal...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=520

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

6 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I would definitely make the TXM Tier 1. Those things are really good.

Alrighty, it is better than a comparably priced Seasonic G-series and I think it's a good T1 candidate.

13 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The thread you linked right there has a user with an FX 6XXX CPU, a 750 TI and a $120 Seasonic PSU to power it. That's a ludicrous mishandling of money for a PC and I think that if I didn't agree to follow that trend I'd not be "one of them,"

Neh Sit'hari knows that's overkill, I forget why he uses that PSU, some particular reason I believe. Believe me, there is definitely anything but overkill PSU recommendations on there.

Is Li Shin Electronics the same as Lite-on?

I was looking at a laptop charger and it had "Suzhou Li shin Electronic Co. Ltd" written on it. I have never heard of them before, so I googled the UL number and it popped up with Lite-on.

Looks like the new Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is EVGA G2/G3 killer...offers excellent performance, 10 year warranty and yet have the same (for 550W) or cheaper price (650/750/850W).

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Looks like the new Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is EVGA G2/G3 killer...offers excellent performance, 10 year warranty and yet have the same or cheaper price.

We don't have a comprehensive enough review yet IMO to make those direct comparisons. I'll wait for a Tom's or TPU review first so I can see how holdup time and transient response compare to the G2/G3. Transient response IMO is the most important test. Any oscilloscope reading of any hardware will show power never sits still so all those voltage tests at Jonnyguru are very unrealistic to begin with.

You guys do realize I'm a member here too.  ;-)

Just the back and forth in the last few posts about where TX-M vs G2, G3, etc. should go in the tier list is testimony to my point.

Turkey linked my previous attempt to do a proper tier list, but I gave up on it.  Too many things to consider.  I ended up with 10 tiers.  

And while reviews at jonnyguru.com are used in consideration for position in the tier list, it seems like the age of the review isn't taken into consideration.  A PSU that got a 9 point whatever 10 years ago was good 10 years ago, but when you consider the topology (which lends to compatibility) and voltage regulation (which has reached mythic levels over the last couple years for units nearing a score of 10), those high scoring units are relatively crap today.  

So reviews are done on a sliding scale.  A 10 today is not what a 10 was 5 or 10 years ago.  Alternately, we could just start grading things as "11", or "15", but that's silly.  

You can say my reaction to tier lists is "immature".  But for me it's just being beyond the point of frustrated.  You have people that only look at a tier list and not any reviews to even see WHY their PSU is in the tier they're in.  The link to the forums where I closed the thread is a prime example.  That Seaonic is "ok", but it's old.  Better things have come along.  And if someone reads the reviews and looks at the dates of the reviews, they would realize that.  But no.  They want to be spoon fed information on what to buy based on a biased tier list.  It's silly.

On 7/7/2017 at 1:52 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

1, yes, but the HX series is so scattered since they were originally called the HX, then the HXi, now we're back to HX.

So saying "HX Platinum" vs. "HX Gold" vs. "HX Bronze" is just too complicated?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You guys do realize I'm a member here too.  ;-)

Just the back and forth in the last few posts about where TX-M vs G2, G3, etc. should go in the tier list is testimony to my point.

Turkey linked my previous attempt to do a proper tier list, but I gave up on it.  Too many things to consider.  I ended up with 10 tiers.  

And while reviews at jonnyguru.com are used in consideration for position in the tier list, it seems like the age of the review isn't taken into consideration.  A PSU that got a 9 point whatever 10 years ago was good 10 years ago, but when you consider the topology (which lends to compatibility) and voltage regulation (which has reached mythic levels over the last couple years for units nearing a score of 10), those high scoring units are relatively crap today.  

So reviews are done on a sliding scale.  A 10 today is not what a 10 was 5 or 10 years ago.  Alternately, we could just start grading things as "11", or "15", but that's silly.  

You can say my reaction to tier lists is "immature".  But for me it's just being beyond the point of frustrated.  You have people that only look at a tier list and not any reviews to even see WHY their PSU is in the tier they're in.  The link to the forums where I closed the thread is a prime example.  That Seaonic is "ok", but it's old.  Better things have come along.  And if someone reads the reviews and looks at the dates of the reviews, they would realize that.  But no.  They want to be spoon fed information on what to buy based on a biased tier list.  It's silly.

Ah, he came out of the woodwork!

There wasn't much "back and forth" really. A user came forward with a comprehensive review, compared it to the benchmark for T1 (the G2) and showed it to be equal or superior in every way and I placed it tier 1.

Which units do you think are out of place based on age? I've tried to account for some of this, namely obvious older designs like the Seasonic S12/M12 but perhaps there are more you think are out of place?

Most people who go out of their way to read reviews just skip to the "conclusion" page to see where everything is scored and don't understand ripple/VREG/component selection etc enough to warrant reading the juicy bits of the review. This list doesn't seem different from doing that, or at least to me. You also evaluate units based on performance per dollar and I don't for the sake of this list. It's why we bumped the EVGA NEX up a tier (even though it's poorly priced compared to several similarly priced EVGA units that perform better) so by that metric (not that it's a bad one, you do reviews that thousands of people look up to) a unit might be perceived as better than another much higher priced (and superior) unit.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So saying "HX Platinum" vs. "HX Gold" vs. "HX Bronze" is just too complicated?

Well when you say it like that I suppose it can't be that difficult (albeit I had been up for 20 hours by the time I wrote that)...

What in your list warranted having 10 tiers? The succinctness of something like this seems like it would be lost by then.

Things to consider that would be transparent to most end users:

Topology, compatibility, quality of components, quality of fan....

Things that wouldn't be so obvious to end users:

Actual QC of factory, actual failure rate, cost down measures taken vs. efforts to reduce failures....

I admit that my "opnion" of certain products has to do with what I know goes behind the scenes.  Since that can't always (if even rarely) be disclosed, it's understandable if someone takes what I say with a grain of salt.  I used to have an "AMA" sub-forum that was private to most users where I would discuss how different QA procedures were addressed, or not addressed in some cases, but a couple of the members were communicating what I was saying with individuals outside the group, so I had to shut it down.  So, because I can't trust anyone, I have to limit what I can say about what makes one PSU better than another beyond what's disclosed in a typical review.

There are a bunch of different versions of the Thermaltake TR2, yet it's only listed once under "tier 7".  The CWT based TR2 Bronze is the same platform as the Antec Neo Eco, yet the Neo Eco is listed as "Tier 3".  And then there's the TR2 Gold, which are actually better than either the Neo Eco or the TR2 Bronze.

Just doesn't make sense.....

24 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

There are a bunch of different versions of the Thermaltake TR2, yet it's only listed once under "tier 7".  The CWT based TR2 Bronze is the same platform as the Antec Neo Eco, yet the Neo Eco is listed as "Tier 3".  And then there's the TR2 Gold, which are actually better than either the Neo Eco or the TR2 Gold.

Just doesn't make sense.....

That I can change. Thanks for pointing it out (though which Neo Ecos are based on the same platform as the TR2?). Yet there's this.

And then there's the TR2 Gold, which are actually better than either the Neo Eco or the TR2 Gold.

What

Edited by STRMfrmXMN
Edited several times

45 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That I can change. Thanks for pointing it out (though which Neo Ecos are based on the same platform as the TR2?). Yet there's this.

What

Found it: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153224

Uses the same platform as this PSU: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=420

Review is from 2015, just as an extra bit of info.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What

I meant TR2 Bronze.  Post fixed.

14 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Where did you get the information for ranking the FSP Hydro (non-X and non-G)?

Hmm, looking at it I don't know. I think there's info regarding an X and a G but I don't see a "regular" old Hydro.

In light of @jonnyGURU's input, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to signify which units are no longer in production, and/or are beyond a certain age (3-4 years old+)? At least then people can look at the list and know that while a certain unit may have been placed in tier 2, for example, it's also 3+ years old and may not be as good as other units in the same tier. The other option would be to move these older units to lower tiers, simply due to their age? I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this, but it is a valid issue to be addressed.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

In light of @jonnyGURU's input, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to signify which units are no longer in production, and/or are beyond a certain age (3-4 years old+)? At least then people can look at the list and know that while a certain unit may have been placed in tier 2, for example, it's also 3+ years old and may not be as good as other units in the same tier. The other option would be to move these older units to lower tiers, simply due to their age? I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this, but it is a valid issue to be addressed.  

I'd bump them down.