How will 1080p look on a 1440p monitor?

Imaginary Friend

Well, it looks like you had a 1080p monitor :D. Not much difference

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

Not great but it shouldn't be too bad, when something is upscaled the quality is going to suffer.

Why do you have a 1440p monitor and not a GPU capable of running games at 1440p.

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

Not great but it shouldn't be too bad, when something is downscaled the quality is going to suffer.

Yeah downscaled doesnt usually look good, but considering if he plays games at 1080p but has the screen resolution set from windows to 1440p then it shouldnt be so bad. But the question still  remains, Why have a 1440p monitor if you cant run games at 1440p?

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

12 minutes ago, Sans said:

Title!

it will look bad i reckon because you are downscaling 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Depends on the size of the monitor and how far you sit from it.

27" and above will most likely not look very pleasing from any distance closer than 1m.

I'd get a GPU that handles 1440p before I invest in a new 1440p monitor.

In worst case downsampling can end up looking as bad as this or even worse:

ce105534c3fc81b6.png

So as you can see, its not advisable. 

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

it may look okay, or kinda weird.

you are basically expanding 1 pixel to 1.5 pixels. that can look weird.

24 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

Yeah downscaled doesnt usually look good, but considering if he plays games at 1080p but has the screen resolution set from windows to 1440p then it shouldnt be so bad. But the question still  remains, Why have a 1440p monitor if you cant run games at 1440p?

24 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

it will look bad i reckon because you are downscaling 

actually you are upscaling, by 150% (or making it 1,5 times larger) since you have a 1080p signal in the game and the GPU upscales it to 1440p to display on the monitor.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

I'd get a GPU that handles 1440p before I invest in a new 1440p monitor.

In worst case downsampling can end up looking as bad as this or even worse:

So as you can see, its not advisable. 

29 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

Not great but it shouldn't be too bad, when something is downscaled the quality is going to suffer.

Why do you have a 1440p monitor and not a GPU capable of running games at 1440p.

.... There can be many reasons why someone would have 1440p monitors or even 4k monitors and not have a gpu capable of playing on them. 

First off, most gpus that ive seen here recently can all support 1440 or even 4k so to say that nearly evey gpu, including igpus, can handle that res. i hate when people assume that because you have a high res monitor it means you need a high end or higher end gpu when in fact you dont need one at all. He never said he was running games or anything so perhaps he could be using it for the better desktop management or other applications that require more room. I personally run triple 1440p monitors in surround, there is no single card that can run a 6k res effectively so to say get a better card would not work in my case. the point is the op never stated what he was going to be doing with it so why even bother saying get a better gpu.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

48 minutes ago, Sans said:

Title!

Why would you be running things at 1080p?

11 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

.... There can be many reasons why someone would have 1440p monitors or even 4k monitors and not have a gpu capable of playing on them. 

First off, most gpus that ive seen here recently can all support 1440 or even 4k so to say that nearly evey gpu, including igpus, can handle that res. i hate when people assume that because you have a high res monitor it means you need a high end or higher end gpu when in fact you dont need one at all. He never said he was running games or anything so perhaps he could be using it for the better desktop management or other applications that require more room. I personally run triple 1440p monitors in surround, there is no single card that can run a 6k res effectively so to say get a better card would not work in my case. the point is the op never stated what he was going to be doing with it so why even bother saying get a better gpu.

I went on the assumption that he would be gaming on it. And if you are going to play 1080p you're better of having a 1080p monitor. The whole point on it was though, that if he upscale something it won't look good. And thats pretty much what he is asking. Having that said, I do get your point and perhaps it was wrong to just jump the gun and assume anything.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

I was always curious about down-scaling too tbh. I considered getting an ultra-wide 4K monitor but I wouldn't want play in that res as the frame-rate wouldn't be very smooth. 4K would be very handy for my workload though.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

48 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

-snip-

What you typed has nothing to do with the question asked but since you seem to have all the answers then tell me why anyone would want to run a 1440p monitor at 1080p unless their GPU wasn't powerful enough to run games or certain apps at that resolution.

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

it may look okay, or kinda weird.

you are basically expanding 1 pixel to 1.5 pixels. that can look weird.

actually you are upscaling, by 150% (or making it 1,5 times larger) since you have a 1080p signal in the game and the GPU upscales it to 1440p to display on the monitor.

wait, what i understood was he wants to run 1080p in a game on a 1440p monitor. so he is downscaling, right? o.O 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

7 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

wait, what i understood was he wants to run 1080p in a game on a 1440p monitor. so he is downscaling, right? o.O 

Yeah I understood that too, that's upscaling.

He's taking a lower resolution thing (the 1080p game) and displaying it on a higher resolution (the 1440p monitor), as such this is upscaling. Taking something of a lower resolution and making it higher resolution.

Downscaling would be running a game in 4K and displaying it on a 1080p display for example

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/