Some information on custom gtx 1070/1080 gpus (Back to 2008?)

LeapFrogMasterRace

Never ever going blower style again. Absolutely horrible. I'll wait for EVGA to release the ACX 3.0 or FTW/+. Give me an 8+6 or 8+8 pin EVGA card with great cooling and I'll be golden. B|

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

Can't seem to make out how many power connectors any of these have :(

C-Mon dual 8-pin for maximum overclocking!

Judging by the pictures of the card found in the OP's sources the Galax 1080 only has a single 8-pin. The Zotac card seems to have an 8+6 pin judging by the pin layout on the back of the board as seen in their promotional picture.

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Even though the FE can't maintain it's boost clock because it thermal throttles... (Goes down to 1607 at 85 C)

As I said, these are the cards people install water blocks on.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Judging by the pictures of the card found in the OP's sources it only has a single 8-pin.

If you go to the actual article there are 4 different cards. Hard to tell for any of them. I'm just hoping EVGA comes out with a Classified 1080 in the near-ish future.

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

If you go to the actual article there are 4 different cards. Hard to tell for any of them. I'm just hoping EVGA comes out with a Classified 1080 in the near-ish future.

I've edited my post to further clarify them.

The Galax card only has a single 8-pin, the Zotac card has an 8+6 pin.

Ye ole' train

All the people complaining about the looks of a card. LOL you guys are the reason Nvidia can get away with charging $100 extra for their garbage NVTTM cooler.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Seeing how ALL currently announced GeForce 1080/1070 cards look, I think the founder edition is pretty good choice with its premium price.

But I think the real reason is that  manufactures keep their nice cooler on models that they plane on selling at around the same as the Founder Edition.

So really, the only people that benefits from the lower priced models are:

-> People that just don't care

-> Water cooling (as they don't care, they'll put their water block).

watercooling people do care because if it has a cheap ass cooler the card was never made to OC properly and most likely has only basic materials used on it.

11 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Judging by the pictures of the card found in the OP's sources the Galax 1080 only has a single 8-pin. The Zotac card seems to have an 8+6 pin judging by the pin layout on the back of the board as seen in their promotional picture.

As I said, these are the cards people install water blocks on.

why would anyone put a waterblock on a cheap card with shitty power delivery and bad materials

26 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

why would anyone put a waterblock on a cheap card with shitty power delivery and bad materials

I bought two 980ti's reference models for the lowest price I could find. They OC'd to 1500Mhz on water. My friend put his G1 gaming gigabyte under water, that was £100 more than mine and you know what he got? He got 1510Mhz. I think the extra £100 justifies the 10Mhz clock bump!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Seeing how ALL currently announced GeForce 1080/1070 cards look, I think the founder edition is pretty good choice with its premium price.

But I think the real reason is that  manufactures keep their nice cooler on models that they plane on selling at around the same as the Founder Edition.

So really, the only people that benefits from the lower priced models are:

-> People that just don't care

-> Water cooling (as they don't care, they'll put their water block).

I hope AMD doesn't try this shady business model

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, blu4 said:

I bought two 980ti's reference models for the lowest price I could find. They OC'd to 1500Mhz on water. My friend put his G1 gaming gigabyte under water, that was £100 more than mine and you know what he got? He got 1510Mhz. I think the extra £100 justifies the 10Mhz clock bump!

silicon lottery has nothing to do with materials and power delivery. In this case the card has the cheapest pcb and only 1 8pin for power. you reach that limit on the blower cooler so why would you put it on water.

19 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

silicon lottery has nothing to do with materials and power delivery. In this case the card has the cheapest pcb and only 1 8pin for power. you reach that limit on the blower cooler so why would you put it on water.

As soon as the 1080 comes out, I'm getting the cheapest model I can get my hands on and I'm going to watercool it. I can guarantee you that I will reach similar clock speeds of those who buy custom PCB blablabla if they did it on water. Same thing happened with Kepler and same thing happened with Maxwell. We will see if Pascal is any different.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

3 minutes ago, blu4 said:

As soon as the 1080 comes out, I'm getting the cheapest model I can get my hands on and I'm going to watercool it. I can guarantee you that I will reach similar clock speeds of those who buy custom PCB blablabla if they did it on water. Same thing happened with Kepler and same thing happened with Maxwell. We will see if Pascal is any different.

kepler and maxwell didn't throttle like a bitch nor did they have the minimum power input required.

1 hour ago, Ashaira said:

kepler and maxwell didn't throttle like a bitch nor did they have the minimum power input required.

Dude, what are you on about? xD Your post are making no sense to me? So you are implying that Pascal will throttle like a bitch?

When the box is so much more appealing than product inside.  

Ewwwwwwww, it better come with snake oil and gypsy tears inside :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Misleading title, made is sound like info on gtx1080/70, already existed back in 2008.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

what did you expect when nVidia placed their FE price above the MSRP? how would you expected AIBs to compete? by releasing cards with shitty coolers

19 hours ago, blu4 said:

Dude, what are you on about? xD Your post are making no sense to me? So you are implying that Pascal will throttle like a bitch?

it does. have you seen the temps?

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

It does throttle but under it's own conditions it's not that much. Only about 10%. That's not throttling like a bitch.

it thermal throttles and power throttles in an open case. imagine in a normal case.

19 hours ago, zMeul said:

by releasing cards with shitty coolers

And how do you know it's bad? It's ugly alright, but for all we know it could be better than the FE cooler, and frankly I'm not sure how it could be worse. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And how do you know it's bad? It's ugly alright, but for all we know it could be better than the FE cooler, and frankly I'm not sure how it could be worse. 

because any other AIB that put a blower type cooler on the cards didn't do a better job

remember the Gainward one? utter shit

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gigabyte_gtx_1080_xtreme_gaming_pictured/1

Gigabyte's "xTreme Gaming" GTX 1080 cooler has been displayed. Not sure about the overlapping fans.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

37 minutes ago, blu4 said:

It does throttle but under it's own conditions it's not that much. Only about 10%. That's not throttling like a bitch.

Apparently it throttles down to stock clock, completely eliminating the boost clock, within 10 minutes of gaming. On an open test bench.

edit: oops, multiquote done fucked up :(

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because any other AIB that put a blower type cooler on the cards didn't do a better job

remember the Gainward one? utter shit

Remember the Asus 970 Turbo? Dual intake or not, blower that was better than reference. 

And please, don't pull Gainward in this, I've only had bad experiences with them. I'd like to forget about them. :(

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Damn, those Zotac cards in the article look way nice. I hope they come in Orange LEDs