One or Two 1080's ???

RuffRuffmcgruff

Hey guys,

As the title suggest I'm going to be buying the upcoming 1080, now the question is 1 or 2 ? 

I don't do graphic editing nor do I play graphically challenging games. BUT I go excess or I go home. The aesthetics of SLI is one of the major reasons I have 2 980's.

Yes I am dumb and Yes cosmetics for life.

So what would you do if you had expendable income and no sense of what to spend it on.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

5 minutes ago, Denned said:

What would stop you from getting 3?

Or 4 ? And to be honest nothing really. Maybe heat dissipation ?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Well I mean... If you've got nothing else to spend the money on then why not go for 2? Hell, buy 4 and drop 2 off at my place :D.

Wait, for 1080tis. Till then I'd Go one, if you really need two add in cards for aesthetics... IDK. IMO if you get a gorgeous case like the Manta you wont need another card.

in fact, if you really care about over the tops look get an InWin case. Cheaper too.

- snip-

Get 4 and watercool your penis... The gpu's should increase by a few inches in size.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Ty all for your input some answers logical than others :P Again thanks

Why not 4?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On 5/10/2016 at 7:25 AM, Clonzoo said:

Get 4 and watercool your penis... The gpu's should increase by a few inches in size.

On 5/10/2016 at 6:58 AM, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

21 minutes ago, sgtcool said:

Why not 4?

Didn't they say only up to 3 on the nvidia conference?

Nvidia SLI doesn't gain any benefit from 3 to 4 (not even sure that 4 work).

Linus is my fetish.

I have some mission for you:
1. How about you wait until Titan X Pascal Architecture, or you cant wait that long enough?
2. How about you paid well-known modder and builder to build your own rig using the most silly overkilled spec and show off you rig (including the proccess xD)?
3. It has to be Pascal, Skylake, Z170, PCIe, NVMe, DDR4 and Fully custom liquid cooling system

And you will unlock:
1. Dumb well spent
2. Cosmetic-er pro
3. Satisfier-er pro (satisfying people to watch)

If you have some money lying around, buy one reference 1080, then buy one of those BMW i8 that they released last year.

That car's design should fit with the Batmobile-styled cooler that the ref 1080 has.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

On 5/10/2016 at 7:58 AM, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Look, Jay of Jayztwocents had 4 Titan X's in his rig (Skunkworks) when he first got them. Even with the scaling one would expect with 4-way SLI, his rig was underperforming. After some tests he decided that his CPU (5960X) was bottlenecking his 4-way SLI so he dropped down to 3-way SLI and he is still getting some minor bottlenecking depending on how his system overclocks are set up.

Now, if Nvidia is to be believed, there is no reason to believe that a 3-way SLI with GTX 1080's will fair any better with the current crop of CPU's.

Jay has stated that he is going to benchmark the 1080 (yes, I know how much of a surprise that is to everyone). I suggest people wait for Jay's (and everyone else's) benchmarks before they run out and drop next month's mortgage payment on a set of cards.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

20 hours ago, Yahtadi said:

I have some mission for you:
1. How about you wait until Titan X Pascal Architecture, or you cant wait that long enough?
2. How about you paid well-known modder and builder to build your own rig using the most silly overkilled spec and show off you rig (including the proccess xD)?
3. It has to be Pascal, Skylake, Z170, PCIe, NVMe, DDR4 and Fully custom liquid cooling system

And you will unlock:
1. Dumb well spent
2. Cosmetic-er pro
3. Satisfier-er pro (satisfying people to watch)

Good point, Hopefully i can get a forum badge " No Impulse control pro" :D

18 hours ago, MilfShake said:

If you have some money lying around, buy one reference 1080, then buy one of those BMW i8 that they released last year.

That car's design should fit with the Batmobile-styled cooler that the ref 1080 has.

New build log "BMW i8 with built in pc" Would be sick

3 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Good point, Hopefully i can get a forum badge " No Impulse control pro" :D

New build log "BMW i8 with built in pc" Would be sick

I see some pretty funny recommendations, but to clarify, 2-Way SLI is going to be the max for the 1080s.  3-way and 4-way will no longer work.

Nice current build.  Both of my 980 Tis have one foot out the door. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I see some pretty funny recommendations, but to clarify, 2-Way SLI is going to be the max for the 1080s.  3-way and 4-way will no longer work.

Nice current build.  Both of my 980 Tis have one foot out the door. 

Yeah, I just read that thread then #rip always fun to speculate though :D