Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,
Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

Just wanted to give y'all a quick update to this situation...the first slot has completely failed...BIOS no longer detects anything in that slot and no power is outputted through the slot anymore...while the second slot is now recognizing the card 99% of the time which is good but it is still stuck at 2x 1.1...upgrade here I come? (CS is now unplayable with FPS drops every time some one throws a grenade or shoots...down to 30 fps from 300 so...)

Time for a new board..

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Used to idle at 1x 1.1 and then under load jump to 8x 1.1/2.0

Yes with me unable to really switch cards around due to hard drive cages and the first slot detecting GPUs and allowing CFX to work but won't display any video if the cables are connect to the GPU in the first slot...

that sounds like a motherboard problem. I'd test the capacitors on the motherboard near the PCIe lanes and see if I can find a bad one and replace it. but for most people it'll mean end of life for the motherboard. if you reset the motherboards bios does it still do the same? if so I'm afraid the motherboard is most likely the issue. but you'll have to try it with only one GPU inserted at a time to be sure. (how did you get the GPUs in if you can't remove them?) anyway. Troubleshoot the hardware 

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

1 minute ago, Cryptonite said:

that sounds like a motherboard problem. I'd test the capacitors on the motherboard near the PCIe lanes and see if I can find a bad one and replace it. but for most people it'll mean end of life for the motherboard. if you reset the motherboards bios does it still do the same? if so I'm afraid the motherboard is most likely the issue. but you'll have to try it with only one GPU inserted at a time to be sure. (how did you get the GPUs in if you can't remove them?) anyway. Troubleshoot the hardware 

I can remove them, just can't switch them around due to a fault with the first slot and a size problem with the second card...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

How likely is the motherboard to be malfunctioning/failing? This started 2 hours ago where I restarted my PC and bam...no display...so went thourgh a bunch of eliminations and ended up here...with the second slot also not working properly...reseated the GPU...changed power connectors, reinstalled drivers, changed OC clocks, done everything including moving this GPU to my second machine and it showed up fine as 8x 3.0 (h61 motherboard so...)...motherboard fault? 

The fact that you were running into recognition problems might come back to the motherboard. Are you using two different 290Xs in your build? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The fact that you were running into recognition problems might come back to the motherboard. Are you using two different 290Xs in your build? 

I guess he is.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I can remove them, just can't switch them around due to a fault with the first slot and a size problem with the second card...

ah ok. I definitely think it's the motherboard though. of you remove the top card completely (as in take it out) and just run the one in slot 2 what does it do? if it performs the same it might or might not be a cap that is dying on the mobo. but if it speeds up then it is definitely a dying cap.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Both reference 290x (one sapphire and one powercolor)...added custom cooling to them cause...reference cooler=a tad loud you know...Egh...I was planning on upgrading this year anyway but wanted to wait till Zen came out...may have to do it prematurely... 

Just now, Cryptonite said:

I guess he is.

ah ok. I definitely think it's the motherboard though. of you remove the top card completely and just run the one in slot 2 what does it do? if it performs the same it might or might not be a cap that is dying on the mobo. but if it speeds up then it is definitely a dying cap.

Did that a few mins ago (just booted up my second machine so it's aight :D) and no difference...

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Both reference 290x (one sapphire and one powercolor)...added custom cooling to them cause...reference cooler=a tad loud you know...Egh...I was planning on upgrading this year anyway but wanted to wait till Zen came out...may have to do it prematurely... 

Did that a few mins ago (just booted up my second machine so it's aight :D) and no difference...

when is zen rumored to be released? I last heard talk about it over a year ago...

Spoiler

Just now, Cryptonite said:

when is zen rumored to be released? I last heard talk about it over a year ago...

q3 or q4...so quite a wait...I'm genuinely edging towards going fuck it and getting a 5820k...as long as eatx motherboards fit...

50 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Funnily enough, with my 970 idling, I currently have this:

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.JPG

Slot is running at its fastest speed despite my 970 simply idling.

Mine goes down to 16x 1.1. GTX 980

8 minutes ago, Cryptonite said:

I guess I can just go and put in one of my 290x into my second PC for now...it has a i5 2300 which may struggle slightly but better than being bottlenecked to basically running 1x...(2x is a weird number of lanes no?)

I'm not going to even try to RMA the motherboard...tried dealing with ASUS before and yeah...not fun...

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

548.png

Should I be concerned about this? It used to run at 8x 1.1 or 2.0 depending on what day it was but never 2x...is this just a bug or something bad is happening? This is slotted in the second slot with my top 290x disabled for now as I'm trouble shooting (lower performance than usual) and came across to this...any thoughts (and this is with valley running in the background...)

what motherboard do you have?

is this a crossfire setup?

do you hae a M.2 SSD?

8 hours ago, Prysin said:

what motherboard do you have?

is this a crossfire setup?

do you hae a M.2 SSD?

Z77 sabertooth

Yes except the top slot card is disabled...as in completely pulled out now...not just the power cables not connected

The only other PCI-e card apart from my 2 290x is a wifi card that uses a 1x slot so it's not even using any of the CPU lanes :P 

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

Just wanted to give y'all a quick update to this situation...the first slot has completely failed...BIOS no longer detects anything in that slot and no power is outputted through the slot anymore...while the second slot is now recognizing the card 99% of the time which is good but it is still stuck at 2x 1.1...upgrade here I come? (CS is now unplayable with FPS drops every time some one throws a grenade or shoots...down to 30 fps from 300 so...)

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

Time for a new board..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

6 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Time for a new board..

Yes...new z77 motherboards are going to be so easy to find...Fack...well I'm going to try to RMA this board as it's the only way that I'm going to be able to get a fully functioning board...

Yes...new z77 motherboards are going to be so easy to find...Fack...well I'm going to try to RMA this board as it's the only way that I'm going to be able to get a fully functioning board...

With asus.. heh heh enjoy..once that is done please leave a reply on the warranty thread in my signature.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

With asus.. heh heh enjoy..once that is done please leave a reply on the warranty thread in my signature.

Oh dealt with them before for my laptop...not a very pleasant experience...can I still state my experiences with XFX and Creative?

Oh dealt with them before for my laptop...not a very pleasant experience...can I still state my experiences with XFX and Creative?

Every company you can! Retailers too.

21 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Every company you can! Retailers too.

Submitted 3...one Sony, one Creative and one FiercePC (much better retailer compared to scan...those asshats...)

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Submitted 3...one Sony, one Creative and one FiercePC (much better retailer compared to scan...those asshats...)

I saw that. Currently adding.

About the whole idle speed question, I know in Windows Power Options, you can set the PCIe power savings mode... might this explain why some people have it idle at 2x 1.1 and some have it 16x 3.0?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

About the whole idle speed question,  know in Windows Power Options, you can set the PCIe power savings mode... might this explain why some people have it idle at 2x 1.1 and some have it 16x 3.0?

But...but...no cards idle at 2x 1.1...they idle at 1x 1.1 :D (just pointing out how it's 1x not 2x...)

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But...but...no cards idle at 2x 1.1...they idle at 1x 1.1 :D (just pointing out how it's 1x not 2x...)

hm, then what is OP's screenshot?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

hm, then what is OP's screenshot?

My screenshot? That's underload...which is caused by a faulty motherboard...

My screenshot? That's underload...which is caused by a faulty motherboard...

oh, I didn't realized this had been solved... I didn't read through all of this too closely :)

oh, I didn't realized this had been solved... I didn't read through all of this too closely :)

Don't worry, should have quoted something solved