Quantum Break will not be coming to Steam - Windows Store Exclusive

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The game is not a Universal App

I'm quite sure Windows Store version of the new tomb raider doesn't give you access to game files, so why would quantum break

2 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

Are you basing your thoughts/statement on hands on experience just wondering? or isit just hearsay?

People's experience with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Didn't work with Rise of the Tomb Raider, why would it be different this time around?

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

question- is there an exe which launches the game?

cause if you can find that in the filesystem then I guess you can add it to steam.

Afaik you can't launch the game through the .exe, should you be able to find it because most of the game's files aren't even accessible easily.

144Hz goodness

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It probably won't and it's just an example.

But that does raise another worry. How big will the market be?

I mean first of all they are limiting it to W10, and people with Dx12 cards.

Which gets rid of more than 50% of the pc gamers. Limiting the market by a lot.

If you just look at who the market is, it's probably not going to go well...

And then there are always the people hating the Store. Again limiting the market.

28% of all steam users has Windows 10 + a DX12 GPU. 39% has a DX12 GPU and not Win 10, which is a free upgrade.

Pretty sure Win 10 will surpass Win 7 in adoption on Steam next this month or next.

Most people won't have a computer capable of running this game anyways. No need to count the entire PC market, as that is way beyond the demographic of this game.

30 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Despite in you seeing a reason or not, windows store apps don't work with other overlays, The Rise of Tomb Raider has a store variant for example for well and there's no workaround it, and people have been having loads of issues with the store/xbox app, one of the biggest problems is that you cannot access the files, another thing is that due to how store apps function you can forget about SLI/Crossfire.

Yeah I've seen the TR game having a lot of stuff omitted from the new patch. It's really odd and quite dumb. However SLI/CF is pretty pointless imho, so I don't see that as a problem. I hope they make it better, but honestly, it's not an issue for me if I cant use steam overlay in a game. I forget to most of the time I run a Uplay game anyways.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Steam being the only platform is a fucking nightmare scenario. Monopolies are bad, especially when the company you wish had one has already proven itself to be fairly anti-consumer. Despite promising over a YEAR ago to improve their customer service they have done fuck all on that front. Not to mention the clusterfuck that is the curator system, the completely fucked Steam Greenlight, and the mess that Early Access has turned into. I mean hell, the ONLY reason they added refunds is because they were forced to because they violated EU consumer laws. Valve clearly does not care about improving the user experience unless it is forced to.

I'm fully aware of how garbage their support team is. That's not what I'm talking about.

36 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Async shaders seem like a big deal and there is no hardware support for it on nvidia's side so that's noet one of them. Yes nvidia does have support for it, but that's software, and there is no improvement compared to dx11. If you look at AMD it can like double the FPS in some cases.

Except in this case of Fury X with Ashes of the Singularity where the 980 Ti still beats it and the Fury X doesn't seem to get much of a boost. To say that it doubles FPS in some situations is not inherently accurate as our testing field for DX12 is very limited given the number of titles that support DX12.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview/4

37 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Because if they don't, the game won't work, or it will have to fall back on software emulation. And that will usually kill performance. Like PhysX for example :P

There is no hardware dedicated to running PhysX anymore. NVIDIA cards do not have any chips which exclusively process PhysX in games. It is done by the CUDA cores.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I honestly don't give 2 shits that its not coming to Steam, You can't expect every single PC game to be place there, its not console, its not the only place allowed to sell PC games, if that where the case, Steam would be a PoS that everyone would complain about, like people complain about Windows because its in almost every PC in the planet, competion, even if it comes from the fucking devil itself can bring benefits.

My problem with being exclusive to the Windows store however is that it forces certain aspects and blocks others to be used, so it gimps what it can be done with the game, i think a few people wouldn't care about it, but most will.

Windows 10 store exclusive means it is built as a windows app which means:

No SLI/Crossfire,

Windows 10 store download is buggy,

No refund policy explained,

Vsync is always on,

Always borderless fullscreen,

Game files are protected,

Can't launch it via the exe (So adding it as a non steam game will not work)

No fps/hardware monitor software works with it,

You need to take control of the folder as admin if you want access to the files

Mouse software which lets you create custom binds for each game doesn't work

Say bye to using sweetfx and mods

Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/45n0kq/quantum_break_is_not_coming_to_steam_will_be/ second comment right up there.

I'm sure a lot of people will have problem with forced Vsync, borderless, some with everything else and very, very few with no multi GPU support because very few run a setup like that.

MS is hosting a W10 and Xbox focused event on the 25 of this month, i think, if thats not the day then is somewhere that week, with a shit ton of luck they could announce some changes to the store that would ease off the riggidity of the UWP platform, since last year, they been talking about allowing win32 apps on the store, and other stuff, and if they don't well, really good luck selling the game to those that didn't pre order the xbox version that come with a free Windows Store copy.

lastly, why the hell hasn't Nvidia update their drivers to enable WDDM 2.0 on Fermi, if they ain't going to do it, at least announce it, i'm sitting here with my 560 and no chance of upgrading in the foreseeable future waiting for it.

56 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Microsoft.

This hostage situation is really starting to piss me off. Let Remedy go, you manipulative pieces of shits.

Remedy is 100% indie, MS doesn't own anything of them unlike when Bungie was making halo where they own 50% of the shares, so yeah, technically speaking is Remedy fault MS funded the game in exchange to control distribution for the game.

Despite all the associated BS that come with platform exclusive games, you can't really blame the platform holder for pursuing this strategy, i mean, its the main differentiator between their competitors, OFC this only applies to console, holding the game for W10 only is just to incentives consumer into jumping to it. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Preface: I don't care if its separate I care is mandatory windows 10.

With that out of the way, I have uplay and origin installed. Might install gog.com too. However I like games to be neatly organized on one place. 

Other minor incentives exists but you're right it's mostly superfluous. Not different than people who used to get Xbox to be were their friends are.

As a DX12 title it has to be Windows 10 only. There is no other option.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

I agree, but on the other hand store fragmentation is also a minor nightmare scenario. Having to juggle half a dozen different stores is going to get really, really annoying. Getting all the stuff together in one location is just super-convenient. And it's why you have one app store on phones/tablets, rather than a variety of different stores from different publishers.

Dozens would be nuts, but I highly highly doubt it will ever get that crazy. At least as far as major platforms go. Ideally we'd have three or four major players sharing market share and forcing each other to keep improving their service.

The reason behind this is due to Microsoft making it a cross buy title (buy on windows 10 and you also own it on Xbox one) as well as the ability to play a save data on either Xbox one or windows 10 and it being a windows store exclusive means that it can log in automatically to the Xbox live servers

1 hour ago, Speedbird said:

.....and?

What's wrong with the Windows Store? Both EA and Ubisoft now distribute their titles thorugh their own platform, but when Microsoft does it, everybody loses their minds. It's a Windows 10 exclusive anyway. I get it, you like Steam because of its features, but I'm sure MS will sooner or later make something similar to the exisiting platforms, with a social network, in-game overlay and achievements.

Well, if you pay attention to the general gaming community, EA and Ubi receive a lot of flak for making platform exclusives, and in Steam forums for Ubi games, one of the themes you'll see is a thread to the effect of "Uplay = no buy", sometimes with hundreds, or even over a thousand posts, mostly of many people saying '+1'.

Everybody hates exclusives when anybody does it - but less so if Valve do it, because the majority of PC gamers don't intend to play a game somewhere other than Steam, so they don't complain that it's not on Origin, Uplay, etc.

Also, Origin, Uplay, basically any other service, is egregiously behind where Steam is in its development. The exception is GoG, who don't aim to offer a platform, but a simple download service for DRM-free games. Steam is in a class of its own, which is multiple classes ahead of alternative PC digital platforms. Since Origin and Uplay haven't managed to create something anywhere near similar to Steam's level of functionality and robustness, I don't think it's likely Microsoft will.

Steam is immensely profitable for Valve, and Valve tend to work on the things they want to work on, and not the things that will simply return the greatest profit-to-investment ratio (though their work inevitably does turn the best profit-to-investment ratio). Steam is a labour of personal passion for Valve, while Origin, Uplay, and whatever MS is going to offer, are all divisions within public corporations, which receive their mandates from shareholders, a board of directors, an earnings-driven CEO, and probably other layers of management between those things and them. Steam is what it is because developing it to be better is a key interest of Valve - while in the case of the other platforms, platform development is secondary to many other interests, plans, budgets, and trade-offs.

Anyway, nobody likes exclusives, and there is nothing unique to people being opposed to MS exclusives. Any trip to a publisher's Steam forums for a game with publisher-DRM in it will inform you of that.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Preface: I don't care if its separate I care is mandatory windows 10.

With that out of the way, I have uplay and origin installed. Might install gog.com too. However I like games to be neatly organized on one place. 

Other minor incentives exists but you're right it's mostly superfluous. Not different than people who used to get Xbox to be were their friends are.

Look for lunchbox, its trying to be a manager for the games one can own.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

How can you know? Why Tomb Raider is an universal app and I have the issue explained earlier by ivhyn?

No fraps, fps counter, mandatory borderless fullscreen.

Can't launch the freaking game without the store open and connected to the internet. The Windows store doesn't have offline compatibility.

6 minutes ago, raphidy said:

How can you know? Why Tomb Raider is an universal app and I have the issue explained earlier by ivhyn?

No fraps, fps counter, mandatory borderless fullscreen.

Can't launch the freaking game without the store open and connected to the internet. The Windows store doesn't have offline compatibility.

I can't comment on Tomb Raider as I don't have the game, and I am not going say "You don't know how to add a game to Steam", because I don't know. But the game does have an exe. And that can be added to Steam. If the game was a Universal App, then it would run on Windows 10 Mobile. It doesn't.

Don't get the amount of mad this generates. Just add the .exe to your Steam library. Not to mention you probably can buy it for chump change like Race to The Womb Raider or whatever that abomination was called.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I can't comment on Tomb Raider as I don't have the game, and I am not going say "You don't know how to add a game to Steam", because I don't know. But the game does have an exe. And that can be added to the device. If the game was a Universal App, then it would run on Windows 10 Mobile. It doesn't.

Game files are encrypted so no exe is accessible.

11 minutes ago, Derangel said:

As a DX12 title it has to be Windows 10 only. There is no other option.

False: most features can be implemented on DX11 like when games started coming out for DX10-11 most had the option to still run on DX9 even if at a lower quality/higher requirements. Hell in the not so distant past games were able to run on OpenGL or Direct 3D: two completely separate APIs not just different versions.

There is no other option because Microsoft doesn't wants it to be. Otherwise this game wouldn't be possible:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236870/

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

False: most features can be implemented on DX11 like when games started coming out for DX10-11 most had the option to still run on DX9 even if at a lower quality. Hell in the not so distant past games were able to run on OpenGL or Direct 3D: two completely separate APIs not just different versions.

There is no other option because Microsoft doesn't wants it to be. Otherwise this game wouldn't be possible:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236870/

Nothing I said was false. It's a DX12 title. DX12 does not run on other OSes. Therefor without other APIs it is exclusive to Windows 10. You spent several extra words saying the exact same thing I did.

3 minutes ago, Nizkus said:

Wrong. WindowsApps folder.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

14 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Don't get the amount of mad this generates. Just add the .exe to your Steam library. Not to mention you probably can buy it for chump change like Race to The Womb Raider or whatever that abomination was called.

You can't though. Windows store games prevent any of that kind of stuff because it's all sandboxed into the Universal Apps platform.

Even if you add the exe to your library, you will be presented with a message such as this:

8RDgipF.png

The exe will refuse to run unless it is run as a Windows App within an App Container, such as a Universal Windows App.

@Khvarrioiren has pointed out to me though that not all Universal Apps such as Minecraft Story Mode are restricted in this manner, so it seems to be hit and miss on that front.

Edited by Pintend
Adding in some useful info.

3 minutes ago, Nizkus said:

hmmm I don't like the idea of that.

been using steam and origin for years, and I like the idea that I can access the game files in the folders if I have to. It's needed for modding and sometimes troubleshooting. Or for example I needed to modify KOTOR to support widescreen resolutions. They shouldn't hide too much from PC gamers.

1 minute ago, Pintend said:

-snip-

The beta is purposefully restricted. Minecraft Story Mode does run outside the UAP if you buy it from the Windows Store.

17 minutes ago, Pintend said:

-snip-

16 minutes ago, ivhyn said:

-snip-

I actually tried To put a store app on steam and managed to. It is however very convoluted. Also do note it was just an app, not ROTR so can;t say about games.

I've also read that theres a "fix" for SLI support for ROTR.

About vsync and the such I'm not sure AZs mentioned i don;t have ROTR. so i can't check it out 

12 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Nothing I said was false. It's a DX12 title. DX12 does not run on other OSes. Therefor without other APIs it is exclusive to Windows 10. You spent several extra words saying the exact same thing I did.

DX12 Titles don't have to be DX12 only titles. That's the publisher's and developer's option (i.e. Microsoft). The point is so simple you're just trolling.

-------

Current Rig

-------

49 minutes ago, ivhyn said:

Cannot be added to the Steam game list

actually you can but you gotta do some voodoo magic (really not that hard) just gotta give yourself permission to the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

DX12 Titles don't have to be DX12 only titles. That's the publisher's and developer's option (i.e. Microsoft). The point is so simple you're just trolling.

God forbid I don't add a single fucking word to what I thought would be a painfully obvious statement.

Ok I looked into it.

Steam does not support running Windows 8/10 ModernUI / Universal Apps.

But Windows is not blocking you. For example, you can run Netflix App with:

explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8!Netflix.App

You can make a workaround to this with Steam. Notice how I added Netflix app to Steam

netflix.png

And yes, hitting "Play" Starts Netflix Universal App. (And yes you can change the icon, Steam allows you to put your own image, I am just lazy, and added explorer.exe, and added as command line " shell:appsFolder\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8!Netflix.App ")

So it is possible. Question now is if Valve wants to support this to give an easier time to add them. Seeing nothing was done on Windows 8 and so far Windows 10, probably, they don't care. But, the above is a workaround. Not to hard to do.