AMD 14nm FinFET Polaris GPU Size Leaks Out – 232mm² Large Die

Mr_Troll

AMD’s Polaris die with 232mm² surface area spotted

Details of AMD’s upcoming 14nm GPU have finally started leaking out. Some good detective work by the user AnarchX over at the Beyond3D forums has revealed what appears to be the LinkedIn profile of a senior engineer at AMD. Interestingly, the engineer lists multiple projects, one of which is the Polaris die. The size of the chip will be 232mm² and (assuming the information is accurate) will constitute one tier of the Polaris architecture

AMD Polaris 11 Polaris 10 GPUs feature

Lets start with the customary context. AMD revealed its 14nm based Polaris lineup some time ago and the fact that it will be based on a FinFET process. Initially AMD did not clearly mention whether the process would be 14nm or 16nm, something which was later clarified as being only 14nm (for Polaris architecture). We also learned that AMD is focusing on bringing the ‘minimum spec VR’ level of performance (think R9 290 or a GTX 970) to more affordable levels and within reach of more gamers. All this ties in with the Polaris strategy – which is broken down into Polaris 10 and Polaris 11.

We know that the chip in question is a Polaris die because 1) It is based on the Samsung/GloFo 14nmFinFET LPP node, which is exactly the right node for the Polaris GPU and 2) it says dGPU and AMD isn’t working on any other 14nm GPU right now. Before we go any further, given below is the relevant portion from the engineer’s LinkedIn profile:

dGPU project F: (Global Foundry/SAMSUNG 14LPP, 430 blocks, 232mm2)
As full chip floorplan designer in Top leader team, take responsibility of manual feedthrough insertion, and lead pin assign & repeater insertion, etc, project is ongoing. Be familiar with latest leading technology.

amd

According to the information we have about the 14nm LPP process, and based on transistor density increase, a 232mm² GPU would be roughly equivalent to a  464mm² 28nm processor – at the same TDP levels. Since we already know that AMD is going to be focusing not just on performance but power efficiency as well – this number could be be much higher, in fact we will discuss the number AMD is using below. We can however safely say that this die is more than capable of meeting the minimum VR spec that AMD promises.

A 232mm² die multiplied by 2.5 times gives us the performance range of a 28nm 580mm² chip (at the same TDP level) which would be pretty damn impressive. We do not know what kind of power efficiency mix AMD is playing with here so it would be pointless to speculate further about the exact performance levels at this point. It would however, be prudent to keep in mind the difference between a 28nm and 14nm die.

At any rate, here are the two possibilities with this leak: 1) The information revealed is simply of a chip design that never went on to see the light of the day (the engineer just worked in the building of the floorplan design – which is a long way from taping out) or 2) we are looking at the real deal and something which will target new levels of performance/watt and affordability to bring VR-Ready performance levels to more gamers. If the latter is true than we could see an even powerful GPU from AMD further down the road.

Can you leak some benchmarks amd pls?

Source:https://www.linkedin.com/in/jurgen-hao-8483a768

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=10939935#post10939935

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-gpu-die-size-232-mm-2/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Can we hope for a GPU with the die size of, for example, that of something such as the Geforce 6200.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

if something designed reaches engineering state, does not mean it will end up as a end product

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if something designed reaches engineering state, does not mean it will end up as a end product

Chances are, we're at the point where late test samples are already developed. Polaris as a whole was probably taped out in July.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Chances are, we're at the point where late test samples are already developed. Polaris as a whole was probably finished in July.

as in taped out?! then, yes

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Is Polaris introducing CUDA support on AMD?

No they probably never will either. Especially not when they created a way to easily convert CUDA code to c for compute.

That being said, this looks amazing. This chip would fit perfectly in a laptop or tiny card for tiny builds.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I really hope this is the small die implementation of polaris.Let's hope polaris 11 has a big die. Otherwise , i'm waiting for the 590x . Ugh.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I'll be upping my gpu at the end of 2017... If this isn't a top end gpu looks like I'm looking at the 590x/590 like coaxialgamer

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I really hope this is the small die implementation of polaris.Let's hope polaris 11 has a big die. Otherwise , i'm waiting for the 590x . Ugh.

Keep in mind these are the first 14nm cards out there. There are bound to be bigger die size GPU's coming along the way.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Just now, Khvarrioiren said:

Keep in mind these are the first 14nm cards out there. There are bound to be bigger die size GPU's coming along the way.

i know , but they ARE pretty small.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Notional said:

No they probably never will either. Especially not when they created a way to easily convert CUDA code to c for compute.

That being said, this looks amazing. This chip would fit perfectly in a laptop or tiny card for tiny builds.

I thought AMD finnaly  decided to get a CUDA license. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

that looks promising, let's hope AMD delivers

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

17 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

No they launched the Boltzmann initiative. Included are easy ways to program OpenCL, convert CUDA code to OpenCL, and use C language instead of CUDA via their HIP tool:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/boltzmann-initiative-2015nov16.aspx

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:

No they launched the Boltzmann initiative. Included are easy ways to program OpenCL, convert CUDA code to OpenCL, and use C language instead of CUDA via their HIP tool:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/boltzmann-initiative-2015nov16.aspx

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

So they could potentially make the largest die ever huh, if so that would be impressive. With all the new node and architecture I can't wait to see what they will come up with.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

they have a cuda license. They've had it for a while actually. (months)

I want AMD to make real progress with power consumption, and not just rip out a feature and call it a day. (looking at you Maxwell)

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 minutes ago, Watermelon Guy said:

There saying this is equal in density to 450mm in 28nm

No. Every node change doubles density. 32-22 doubled Intel's, and 22-14 doubled it again. 28-20 came close to doubling density for TSMC and Samsung. 20-14/16 is another such case. Dropping from 28 to 14 should nearly quadruple density. The transistors should be ~1/4 the size on average.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Just imagine.... Polaris cards more powerful than the R9 Nano but just as short and half height....

Implying 100% of a card's size is related to the manufacturing size...

That's why graphics cards have been getting way smaller over the years.... OH wait..

46 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Implying 100% of a card's size is related to the manufacturing size...

That's why graphics cards have been getting way smaller over the years.... OH wait..

Well yes. We've only gotten smaller since the VooDoo cards. God do you people pay attention? /s

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd