Headphones with no compromise

Gix7Fifty

I have an amp/dac., and I want to hear it all, I want the highs and mids and I want the deep bass. 

My budget depends on what I get. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

I don't think you really know what you're asking, or what you want.

Do some research and come back with a constructive question.

I don't think you really know what you're asking, or what you want.

Do some research and come back with a constructive question.

^That, and also SSL can be kinda mean lol.

Flat audio for listening to sound/music exactly as recorded. No enhancements just 100% original music.

Tough to do with headphones; in any case I can think of half a dozen candidates that would be better for that than the K240.

If you had a 5960X in your desktop, I'd be like "yeah he's probably serious about budget not mattering".  It's not even worth attempting to answer if your idea of expensive is $200.

In ear monitors are my favorite.  They work for everything from home audio to gym to work and have quality on par the best over ears if you don't cheap out.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

HE-500 is the cheapest one i could recommend.

I've so many good things about HE-560, perhaps @SSL can clarify on this.

If you want the best, you'll have to go with IEM and buy a pair of 64 audio adel A12

If you want the best, you'll have to go with IEM and buy a pair of 64 audio adel A12

As someone with a pair of A12, I wouldn't say it's the best compared to headphones. I'd give that title to he1000 even against a stax sr009, though I haven't had a chance to try an Orpheus.

Sure, the HE-560 could be a candidate, but we need to know more about what the OP wants in terms of sound; and what their "amp/dac" is.

If you want that deep bass, price is no issue, and you can handle the weight, I'd recommend the audeze lcd series.

You'll want to make sure they're properly driven.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

You'll want to make sure they're properly driven.

This sentence gets over-used so much and so many people interpret it the wrong way

Sure, the HE-560 could be a candidate, but we need to know more about what the OP wants in terms of sound; and what their "amp/dac" is.

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the offerings from Audeze?

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the offerings from Audeze?

No.

Ultimately, this question is extremely difficult to answer without more information.  Obviously, if price is no object, you can buy a high end set of cans that can do a lot of things, or buy several pairs for the specific needs.  Bass heads will not enjoy neutral sounding headsets like the AKG K240 MK II or the Audio Technica ATH-M40x sets.  On the other hand, naturalists will find the Sennheiser DJ series and Audio Technica ATH-M50x sets unacceptable.  Good middle grounds are few and far between, especially in the lower price brackets (in my experience, you have to spend a lot more money for those kinds of cans).

I'm more of the latter buyer, having multiple sets of headsets for different purposes :) (I own about 6 different sets of headsets/earbuds for different purposes)

AMP/DAC wise, unless the OP is planning to throw a set of 600 ohm cans at their device, a decent aftermarket soundcard/amp is probably more than enough to meet his needs, IMHO.

Ultimately, this question is extremely difficult to answer without more information.  Obviously, if price is no object, you can buy a high end set of cans that can do a lot of things, or buy several pairs for the specific needs.  Bass heads will not enjoy neutral sounding headsets like the AKG K240 MK II or the Audio Technica ATH-M40x sets.  On the other hand, naturalists will find the Sennheiser DJ series and Audio Technica ATH-M50x sets unacceptable.  Good middle grounds are few and far between, especially in the lower price brackets (in my experience, you have to spend a lot more money for those kinds of cans).

I'm more of the latter buyer, having multiple sets of headsets for different purposes :) (I own about 6 different sets of headsets/earbuds for different purposes)

AMP/DAC wise, unless the OP is planning to throw a set of 600 ohm cans at their device, a decent aftermarket soundcard/amp is probably more than enough to meet his needs, IMHO.

neutral - M40X? no. bass and highs are boosted. 

You have a good point about buying several headphones, it's nice to have some that are good for certain things. It's also nice to have one all-rounder though. 

600 ohm cans? need amp? You clearly haven't read the impedance ballad by creatip123http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/290749-the-impedance-ballad-image-heavy/

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I think people are a little too quick to assume that whatever the most expensive stuff Sennheiser has is the best. It's a cool brand, but I don't think they dominate all things headphone. Also, if we're going to say that something needs to be driven correctly, then I would like to hear you explain to me what driving a headphone means and how one goes about doing that correctly.

HD800s are like the non-mainstream's mainstream pick, if that makes any sense. I got a healthy dose of blowback for picking HD800s.

I'd also like to take this moment to plug my 'can my amp power my headphones' thread in my siggy.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I really don't know what you're trying get at, by claiming that the HD800s are the "non-mainstreamers, mainstreamers pick". Yes, they are phenomenal headphones, but if your budget allows, there are far better options. Ultimately, I'm confused as to the point you're trying to make…