Is there a way to "fix" gpu coil whine?

My R9 380 has some coil whine and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it. Some people told me to overclock my graphics card but I wanted to make sure. If I do indeed need to overclock how much do I need to do so? Any help would be nice. I sent an Rma request but It may not be accepted since Ncix accepts rma's from 30 days ago and thats exactly when I got my card.

My R9 380 has some coil whine and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it. Some people told me to overclock my graphics card but I wanted to make sure. If I do indeed need to overclock how much do I need to do so? Any help would be nice. I sent an Rma request but It may not be accepted since Ncix accepts rma's from 30 days ago and thats exactly when I got my card.

no there's no way to fix it

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

1) overclocking probably wont help

2) you cant RMA something thats not defective

GPU coil whine is not a defect, its a common side effect

3) replacing PSU has fixed coil whine for many people

the problem is that it is just a matter of luck, there is no specific GPU that will remove coil whine, it randomly depends on your PSU, GPU, and luck

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I agree with @Enderman but if you wanted to try something really risky, get some non conductive material, like caulking, epoxy and "pot" the coil if you can, the whine you hear is micro vibrations in the coil, if you cover it and make it so that it cant move then the noise should theoretically be gone. But this would be a HUGE risk. And void warranty and may not actually work....

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I agree with @Enderman but if you wanted to try something really risky, get some non conductive material, like caulking, epoxy and "pot" the coil if you can, the whine you hear is micro vibrations in the coil, if you cover it and make it so that it cant move then the noise should theoretically be gone. But this would be a HUGE risk. And void warranty and may not actually work....

GPU coils these days are enclosed in boxes filled with glue

you cant open them and put epoxy on the coil

GTX-670-TOP-12.png

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

GPU coils these days are enclosed in boxes filled with glue

you cant open them and put epoxy on the coil

GTX-670-TOP-12.png

Well fuck eh, I knew this.... but I also forgot at the time of posting lmao

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

1) overclocking probably wont help

3) replacing PSU has fixed coil whine for many people

the problem is that it is just a matter of luck, there is no specific GPU that will remove coil whine, it randomly depends on your PSU, GPU, and luck

I've Rma'd a previous Gpu for coil whine once. I also Rma'd a psu cuz of a small dent in it. I still got my replacements.

I found online that some people ran a game overnight and the next day the coil whine was gone. Could I try this?

I found online that some people ran a game overnight and the next day the coil whine was gone. Could I try this?

Try it, but I have had my card for 6 months and it hasent gotten any better...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I had some horrid coil whine on my 290, switching to a PSU with cleaner power greatly reduced it. You can also try insulating the coil boxes with electrical tape or silicon, which should dampen it.

I've greased fans making noise in the past and it worked

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I didn't notice I had coil whine on my 980 ti until I ran minecraft with 1k fps. So one thing which can work is to put vsync on in games. If that doesn't work then rma it if you can't stand it. 

I put on Tf2 and stayed idle at the menu for about an hour and the coil whine is practically gone. I also overclocked a bit so that could be it too. Hopefully the coil whine ill all be gone when I put on the tomb raider benchmark

• 1 month later...

I keep don't understanding why people buy a GPU which costs more than 800€/$ and then buy a PSU like Corsair/be Quiet/OCZ which costs less than 150€/$, You GOTTA BUY at least a Seasonic/Enermax to avoid coil whine and stabilize the wave from wall, then buy a decent MOBO, with excellent VRM and japanese inductors.

Sorry, but you can't buy an ASrock mobo and a Corsair PSU.

You deserve the coil whine.

Sometimes you can. I've succesfully RMA'ed two different coil whining PSUs. The retailer/manufacturer has to be a good guy though.

I keep don't understanding why people buy a GPU which costs more than 800€/$ and then buy a PSU like Corsair/be Quiet/OCZ which costs less than 150€/$, You GOTTA BUY at least a Seasonic/Enermax to avoid coil whine and stabilize the wave from wall, then buy a decent MOBO, with excellent VRM and japanese inductors.

Sorry, but you can't buy an ASrock mobo and a Corsair PSU.

You deserve the coil whine.

I don't even have a corsair psu, I do have an asrock mobo tho.