Fallout 4 PC Disc Will Not Contain The Entire Game on PC

Another game I won't be buying a physical copy for. Big middle finger to people stuck with 4G mobile broadband, and expensive and seriously limited data caps. ($140 for 16GB? Thanks Telstra).

Be glad that its not the $200 that they had for 12GB last year, or $180 for 12GB the year before.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm sorry but its the full game isn't included on disk...

Damn, what are these pirates going to do now? 

Oh, download the game and crack that...?

I Don't understand the logic here...

Be glad that its not the $200 that they had for 12GB last year, or $180 for 12GB the year before.

Yeah, I'm glad they dropped it from $180 (actually, I'm pretty sure it was $180 last year). I'm planning on switching to Vodafone $90 for 25GB, but it still isn't enough for any sort of downloading. I'm so jealous of the UK having "Unlimited" plans :(

Yeah, I'm glad they dropped it from $180 (actually, I'm pretty sure it was $180 last year). I'm planning on switching to Vodafone $90 for 25GB, but it still isn't enough for any sort of downloading. I'm so jealous of the UK having "Unlimited" plans :(

My Grandmother was paying $200 for it-so unless Telstra is charging more in some areas than others.....

PMSL

while i dont really care that i have to download it only bought the physical for the pipboy edition i still think its stupid TBH I DONT EVEN WANNA HAVE TO INSTALL IT why cant i just put in the disc and keep a save on PC without having to install the game yeah it doesnt make sense but i just wanna play the damn game not install it first 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

The only point of doing this is to prevent piracy before the official release.

Anyways, when I buy the cd\dvd with game, I don't wan't download anything except bug fixes.

No point to buy the cd then at all. Sell empty boxes for 1$ instead.

while i dont really care that i have to download it only bought the physical for the pipboy edition i still think its stupid TBH I DONT EVEN WANNA HAVE TO INSTALL IT why cant i just put in the disc and keep a save on PC without having to install the game yeah it doesnt make sense but i just wanna play the damn game not install it first 

That'd perform like shit.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

honestly games on discs should be dead.

You know what else should be dead in developed countries? Bad health care systems, and bad internet. Until we get rid of bad internet, I really think they should ship the entire game in DVDs.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Its neither the right thing or the wrong thing its just indicative of the times

Also it would have to ship on like 7 DVDs which is ludicrous in an age where 99% of customers will download it

Should they provide a physical copy? yes probably, but I dont blame them for not doing it either, on the fence here

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They'd better not pull some crazy drm shit. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Its neither the right thing or the wrong thing its just indicative of the times Also it would have to ship on like 7 DVDs which is ludicrous in an age where 99% of customers will download it Should they provide a physical copy? yes probably, but I dont blame them for not doing it either, on the fence here

Ever heard of compression? Because that's what Steam uses to reduce the download size.

PMSL

Ever heard of compression? Because that's what Steam uses to reduce the download size.

of course but im not sure if they can be compressed down that far... can they?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So, you want to install the game on a computer that doesn't have a connection... NOPE.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

of course but im not sure if they can be compressed down that far... can they?

You'd be surprised.

PMSL

Pros:

-Save on production costs

-Time

-Something else?

Cons:

-No internet, no game.

-Monthly GB restriction? Tough.

-Slow internet? Tough

-Want a physical working copy for collection? Noperinio.

Shitty practice. I will happily see Fallout 4 a few days after it has been released on torrents + crack. The digital download ought to stop the piracy! Duh!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Shitty practice. I will happily see Fallout 4 a few days after it has been released on torrents + crack. The digital download ought to stop the piracy! Duh!

"Oh no the game is digital only so I can't get the disc only version because of my internet situation"

"I know I will pirate it, where it is a 100% download anyway" Sure.. makes sense!!

THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR PIRACY - and you can still get a physical copy for your collection and shelf, since its still a box , and you can backup the game files to a hard drive or a blue ray and keep the files forever yourself

Look I agree, for a small percentage of people it would nice to have a completely disc version, but the fact is, going forward disc copies are going to get rarer and rarer, I am still surprised they even exist tbh

If you dont agree with the practice, dont buy the game, tweet the company, and start a protest or petition, and make them do it, show them how many people need and rely on disc copies for play!

Dont just steal it

"Oh no the game is digital only so I can't get the disc only version because of my internet situation"

"I know I will pirate it, where it is a 100% download anyway" Sure.. makes sense!!

THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR PIRACY - and you can still get a physical copy for your collection and shelf, since its still a box , and you can backup the game files to a hard drive or a blue ray and keep the files forever yourself

Look I agree, for a small percentage of people it would nice to have a completely disc version, but the fact is, going forward disc copies are going to get rarer and rarer, I am still surprised they even exist tbh

If you dont agree with the practice, dont buy the game, tweet the company, and start a protest or petition, and make them do it, show them how many people need and rely on disc copies for play!

Dont just steal it

I do agree that physical copies should become obsolescent. Already got the game for next to nothing- £22 (partly because they saved so much). It's the fact that there is still a minority that likes to have the game in their hands and be able to play it without internet- those people are worse off. People need to get on with the times, Microsoft isn't going to release Windows 10 on floppy discs even though some people still use them xD

Forgot to mention, when I got the Witcher 3 It was quicker for me to download it off the internet than install it from the disc :D

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Dont just steal it

Are you that dense? It costs money after the fact to download the rest of the game-and uses most of your Internet quota.

I do agree that physical copies should become obsolescent. Already got the game for next to nothing- £22 (partly because they saved so much). It's the fact that there is still a minority that likes to have the game in their hands and be able to play it without internet- those people are worse off. People need to get on with the times, Microsoft isn't going to release Windows 10 on floppy discs even though some people still use them xD

Its a fact that loads of people still have shitty Internet-its not about just having a physical copy but having to use your expensive, limited Internet connection to download it over a period of up to a week, if not longer for those in the Internet black spots.

PMSL

Are you that dense? It costs money after the fact to download the rest of the game-and uses most of your Internet quota.

Why does it cost money after the fact? as long as you only download inside your quota you dont pay any extra money, and internet quotas are slowly becoming a thing of the past, heck you can get free broadband here with unlimited downloads (just pay line rental)

As I said, its no excuse for piracy, every user that feels effected should tweet the company, and tell them they want a disc version, post it on facebook, email their support team, join their forums, start a petition

If you want the practice to change, you need to vote vocally, and make it known to the industry that that is what people want

EDIT:

I will agree its 100% shitty for the people who dont have unlimited internet or fast enough internet, but I mean at some point disc copies have to stop, 

I am still on the fence

Why does it cost money after the fact? as long as you only download inside your quota you dont pay any extra money, and internet quotas are slowly becoming a thing of the past, heck you can get free broadband here with unlimited downloads (just pay line rental)

As I said, its no excuse for piracy, every user that feels effected should tweet the company, and tell them they want a disc version, post it on facebook, email their support team, join their forums, start a petition

If you want the practice to change, you need to vote vocally, and make it known to the industry that that is what people want

EDIT:

I will agree its 100% shitty for the people who dont have unlimited internet or fast enough internet, but I mean at some point disc copies have to stop, 

I am still on the fence

Some people are stuck with mobile broadband. The figures were already talked about previously in this topic. Again, for some people there is literally no option other than the ISP who sells 25GB a month of slow and extremely unreliable wireless for $160, and for those only able to go with a plan, $140 for 16GB (down from $200 for 12GB).

PMSL

I didn't even realise quotas still existed! I haven't had a quota on internet, including mobile data, for years.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Some people are stuck with mobile broadband. The figures were already talked about previously in this topic. Again, for some people there is literally no option other than the ISP who sells 25GB a month of slow and extremely unreliable wireless for $160, and for those only able to go with a plan, $140 for 16GB (down from $200 for 12GB).

I don't recall seeing the figures 

Hey in an ideal world games would have no DRM and would be entirely installable from a disc, then you could keep the single player game working forever even if the servers shut down etc

But its just not the world we live in, so I understand their decision, (not saying I 100% support it)

EDIT:

I am still on the fence

More money because people will dl it in their quota and will have to buy more space for other non game related stuff. The key word is here, and I know you're aware that some people don't have quotas. With that said, people that do are the ones companies should be thinking of as well, not jist the majority. And that's not the case here. But those people will still have problems with patches etc, but they are the smaller part considering you have to dl almost the full game. 

And I think he meant he wants to see the game pirated just so Bethesda will se this is not an effective practice and won't do this in the future. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.