Scrapyard Wars Season 3 - With Scrappy Guest Austin Evans!

What GPU was linus using?

A HD 6850 I think, but it was dead so he's gonna have to find another one.

Some more discussion on the current episode, don't read if you don't want to be spoiled:

Does anyone know how much a turnip hoodie previously cost on the store sans shipping? If he got a refund back on the 6850, I'm assuming the hoodie isn't coming back as well. So I'm pegging that: 65CAD down the toilet for his overall score in the future. My bet is that he wont pursue a refund anyway (not because it's only $20, but due to time running out as usual per LMG), so that's 85CAD in the hole that should be factored in later.

I find it funny how a 280/960 are right on the heels of a 6990 3dmark score. These cards go for 150USD new, so I facepalmed when Austin hyped up the 6990 in his hand in the middle of a random crosswalk.

It's clear (at this point, assuming things work) that Luke is the winner. He's got no case and a ~110 rating on his card compared to Austin's ~78 and Linus is already bsoding. Good save from last series paying $45 more than he should have for a used car radiator. Such clutch.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Btw, if any staff at LMG are silently monitoring this thread, I would like to join others in voicing my disappointment on how ridiculous it is to release these short, 15 minute episodes for this length of time. Either make a full-length series spanning 3 episodes (that are longer than 15 minutes a piece), or don't. We shouldn't have to wait until next Christmas before this season is over. Please stop focusing so much attention on how best to optimize Youtube "audience engagement" metrics.

Thanks for considering constructive feedback. I hope this post makes it onto that new Acer projector in a board room meeting sometime because that would be cool :)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

So far I'm liking it... Although I feel like hardly anything has happened in the first 2 episode which is something consider combined it's 33 minutes. Also, how many episodes are you planning? You asked what we preferred but I don't remember seeing anything stating what you decided to go with or I just missed it.

There will be at least 6 as alluded to on a previous WAN Show.  However, with 3 contestants this time, each episode is spent WAAY too much on the planning and random happenings that each contestant doesn't get enough time to actually do anything substantial.  Add to the fact you have to watch 3 people try doing the same 3 things every episode, and I am not enjoying this one at all.

Much less a battle of wits compared to the first and second SYW, and more of just running around not accomplishing much, repeated 3 times.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You know, Kyle (from Awesomesauce Network) actually had a great idea: for the next season, instead of doing solo challenges, make a tag competition with Paul + Kyle VS Linus + Luke. Throw in JayzTwoCents + Barnacles and the folks at Tek Syndicate, and we it would truly be one hell of a battle.

Just imagine the crazyness..... for example, Luke gets his r9 295x2 ASAP and starts OCing it on his personal testbench, while Linus goes to pick the rest of the system (good luck filming / editing 6 people in different places, though).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

You know, Kyle (from Awesomesauce Network) actually had a great idea: for the next season, instead of doing solo challenges, make a tag competition with Paul + Kyle VS Linus + Luke. Throw in JayzTwoCents + Barnacles and the folks at Tek Syndicate, and we it would truly be one hell of a battle.

Just imagine the crazyness..... for example, Luke gets his r9 295x2 ASAP and starts OCing it on his personal testbench, while Linus goes to pick the rest of the system (good luck filming / editing 6 people in different places, though).

As the one guy mentioned above, this would work. Maybe 2v2 though and episodes should be longer than.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Looks like someone created an IMDb page for Scrapyard Wars :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5145166/

Hahah holy shit, thats great. 

But as for SW; I like the idea of a tag team, but I feel like it'd end up being messier then it should. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

That freegeek place is pretty awesome. Too bad we don't have anything like that around where I live....

There will be at least 6 as alluded to on a previous WAN Show.  However, with 3 contestants this time, each episode is spent WAAY too much on the planning and random happenings that each contestant doesn't get enough time to actually do anything substantial.  Add to the fact you have to watch 3 people try doing the same 3 things every episode, and I am not enjoying this one at all.

Much less a battle of wits compared to the first and second SYW, and more of just running around not accomplishing much, repeated 3 times.

more like they intentionally stretch it to at least 6 episodes cuz of dbrand

Brian from techyescity needs to be in scrapyard wars.  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

more like they intentionally stretch it to at least 6 episodes cuz of dbrand

Nah, personally I'd prefer to do 20-30 minute episodes or even real mini-series 1 hour episodes but before starting I was given the limit of 16 minutes and I'm trying to try to stick with that. For the content and pacing, it's really a question of what you and other people are looking for. Is the show about the journey, the thought process, and missteps or just the parts being put together? If it's the latter, that could be done in one episode, I think. Just skip all the troubleshooting and stress. But there are tons of build videos out there already and that's essentially what it would be.

So I'm trying to show the thought process and how they get to where they do, how the problems come about, and what they do about them and that requires exposition. Is it too much? I don't know, I won't know until a few months later when I can watch it all again without the perspective of the editor.

With that said, I've made a few changes to this weekend's video to include some more things and to speed things up and we'll see how things go.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

Nah, personally I'd prefer to do 20-30 minute episodes or even real mini-series 1 hour episodes but before starting I was given the limit of 16 minutes and I'm trying to try to stick with that. For the content and pacing, it's really a question of what you and other people are looking for. Is the show about the journey, the thought process, and missteps or just the parts being put together? If it's the latter, that could be done in one episode, I think. Just skip all the troubleshooting and stress. But there are tons of build videos out there already and that's essentially what it would be.

So I'm trying to show the thought process and how they get to where they do, how the problems come about, and what they do about them and that requires exposition. Is it too much? I don't know, I won't know until a few months later when I can watch it all again without the perspective of the editor.

With that said, I've made a few changes to this weekend's video to include some more things and to speed things up and we'll see how things go.

thanks for the clarification. 

Junior member??? not LMG staff?? man you need to post on the forum WAY more often.

With the last episode you guys should do a DBrand giveaway. That would be sweet.

Anyway #TeamAustin

-Zach

I don't think that 6850 Linus has is dead. The flickering he was seeing on the W10 desktop wasn't affecting the cursor. But clearly if Vessel people have seen episode 5, they know the outcome of it.

Good video, but was really hoping to see some building in episode 4.

Episode 5 was very good. I agree with what lots of other people in this thread have said. The previous episodes were kind of boring because we had to see 3 people just sit around planning. This episode had lots of things going on though, and we can finally start seeing some computers being put together and tested.

I think Austin is going to mess up with that power supply plan.

I think Luke will win.

Episode 5 was very good. I agree with what lots of other people in this thread have said. The previous episodes were kind of boring because we had to see 3 people just sit around planning. This episode had lots of things going on though, and we can finally start seeing some computers being put together and tested.

I think Austin is going to mess up with that power supply plan.

I think Luke will win.

His power supply plan * should * work.... if only he plugged the 4pin connector in correctly. One of them was sideways on a 90 degree angle..

Does Austin have any PC building experience at all? Why does Linus keep talking about "back alley guy"? If they have no budget why don't they just go to the store and buy a power supply that is guaranteed to work for around 40/50 bucks and just use craigslist for stuff like the graphics card/CPU/motherboard? Why does Luke go on and on about the screws on the bracket of the GPU? Just find something that fits and don't use DVI.

I wonder if Austin fried the motherboard or secondary power supply when plugging that 4pin plugs together. That was such a bad idea.

I think the problem with his system not posting might be on the gpu power side, not on the cpu power since his i7-2600 is 95W and 4pin should be enough to run that without overclocking.