Spilled water in PC tower, like a dumbass.

chargerjake

First off, allow me to share three thoughts: 1) Fuck. 2) I don't have any money. 3) I think I fucked up my graphics card.

So your first question is probably: Jake, how the hell did you manage to get water in your PC? My PC sits on the ground and I have absolutely no fan on the top vent of my PC case (NZXT Source 210). I was trying to grab a water cup that had approximately 5-10oz of water in it, or for you metrics out there that's 150-300mL. A little bit of it came out into the case and down the side panel, the majority was on my carpet, which of course is the least of my concerns. The PC was ON at the time. Immediately after I spilled the water, I lost my video. At that point, I immediately powered off and unplugged the PC, and just to be safe, I switched off the PSU. I let the entire thing air out for an hour almost, and I'm now sitting down writing this. After inspection, I did not seem to have any water inside my CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, or Hard Drive. My graphics card looks like it caught a few drops and that's probably why my video dropped. There was about 3 seconds between when I lost video and the PC was off. I did not hear any sizzling or smell anything burning. The water was on the back of my GPU's PCB. Does anyone know what I should do?

P.S. I'm not really in the mood for jokes, and don't call me a dumbass because I already know I am and have finished blaming myself for that.

PC SETUP: | i5-4440 3.1 GHz | MSI Z97s Krait | EVGA GTX 970 | G.Skill Value 8GB | WDC Blue 500GB | NZXT S340

MOBILE SETUP: | Apple iPhone 6 | iOS 10b4 | Apple Watch Stainless Steel w/ Black Sport Band | WatchOS 3b4

Steam: chargerjake | Origin: chargerjake

First off, allow me to share three thoughts: 1) Fuck. 2) I don't have any money. 3) I think I fucked up my graphics card.

So your first question is probably: Jake, how the hell did you manage to get water in your PC? My PC sits on the ground and I have absolutely no fan on the top vent of my PC case (NZXT Source 210). I was trying to grab a water cup that had approximately 5-10oz of water in it, or for you metrics out there that's 150-300mL. A little bit of it came out into the case and down the side panel, the majority was on my carpet, which of course is the least of my concerns. The PC was ON at the time. Immediately after I spilled the water, I lost my video. At that point, I immediately powered off and unplugged the PC, and just to be safe, I switched off the PSU. I let the entire thing air out for an hour almost, and I'm now sitting down writing this. After inspection, I did not seem to have any water inside my CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, or Hard Drive. My graphics card looks like it caught a few drops and that's probably why my video dropped. There was about 3 seconds between when I lost video and the PC was off. I did not hear any sizzling or smell anything burning. The water was on the back of my GPU's PCB. Does anyone know what I should do?

P.S. I'm not really in the mood for jokes, and don't call me a dumbass because I already know I am and have finished blaming myself for that.

Dry the components for another 24 hours then reassemble and test. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

-SNIP-

Basically at this point since everything is broken down dry all the parts physically and let it air dry for a day or two if you notice corrosion or any residue on the PCB's at all you should clean it off. Ideally using 99% isoproyl alcohol and bathing/cleaning it can be done to displace any water and clean off the PCB.

Exactly what this man said. Just make sure all the water has evaporated.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Basically at this point since everything is broken down dry all the parts physically and let it air dry for a day or two if you notice corrosion or any residue on the PCB's at all you should clean it off. Ideally using 99% isoproyl alcohol and bathing/cleaning it can be done to displace any water and clean off the PCB.

Exactly what this man said. Just make sure all the water has evaporated.

Thank you all for your help, I'm probably going to leave them for 36-48 hours just to be safe. I have literally no source of income so if I did fuck up my GPU I have no idea how I'm going to pay for a new one.

PC SETUP: | i5-4440 3.1 GHz | MSI Z97s Krait | EVGA GTX 970 | G.Skill Value 8GB | WDC Blue 500GB | NZXT S340

MOBILE SETUP: | Apple iPhone 6 | iOS 10b4 | Apple Watch Stainless Steel w/ Black Sport Band | WatchOS 3b4

Thank you all for your help, I'm probably going to leave them for 36-48 hours just to be safe. I have literally no source of income so if I did fuck up my GPU I have no idea how I'm going to pay for a new one.

Go for it. If you borked it already, you might as well try to get it working...

Best of luck to you.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Like others have said, disassemble it, soak up any water drop visible on the card using kitchen towel or anything. Leave it to dry for at least 24 hours. You can put it in a bag of rice just to be sure. 

Like others have said, disassemble it, soak up any water drop visible on the card using kitchen towel or anything. Leave it to dry for at least 24 hours. You can put it in a bag of rice just to be sure. 

Rice doesn't do anything. If anything place it into a alcohol bath

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Let it dry out for at least 24 hours and make sure it's 100% dry before turning it back on again.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

you sure shorted it, it depends on which contacts you shorted if its ruined for good or just cause it stop working temporarily. There may be a chance though that if you shorted it could be dead and maybe even some damage to your PCIe slot

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Not sure if trolling or serious. 

Not sure if trolling or serious. 

it doesn't.

RICE DOES BLOODY NOTHING.

Here

watch

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Take everything apart, remove CPU etc.. Air dry for at LEAST 24 hours.

Once air dried, take a toothbrush (New, preferably :P) and some 99% Isoprophyl alcohol and gently scrub at the parts that look water damaged (Corrosion, etc). Let it dry a few minutes, and see if it turns on...

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

RICE. KILLS.

So many people have ruined perfectly repairable computers and phones by putting it in rice, and I want to hunt down the person that first said it helped. 

IT KILLS.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

If you do that check the thermal compound beacause if you get it working it will be dsad to fry it there...(no it is not a beginner mistake @Slice did it with his old submerged GPU)

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

thats pretty much how i up graded to my gtx 680s to gtx 780s lol... fuck water cooling....

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

Good luck OP. I almost spat a bunch of water into my PC (top vent) by watching something funny as i was going to sit down..

thats pretty much how i up graded to my gtx 680s to gtx 780s lol... fuck water cooling....

I still wonder who's idea it was to cool a PC with water. That's the last thing you want in your tower!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-8600K 6C 3.6 GHz | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX Motherboard | RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz | GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 6GB | CASE: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB | PSU: CoolerMaster V750 | SDD: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda  3 TB 7200rpm |  Sound Card: (pending)  | Speaker: Logitech Z623

UPDATE: If anyone is still going to look at this topic, I've booted the PC without the graphics card last night and it works fine. I'm currently not at home and will check the graphics card when I get home.

Yeah, if the only thing you fried was your GPU... then everything else should be working fine... including your on board graphics... good luck gaming on that though...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

I have had this happen to my PC twice, once I killed the GOU and the other time I got lucky. Basically dry out the parts and then try to turn it back on later if it is dead its dead. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I have had this happen to my PC twice, once I killed the GOU and the other time I got lucky. Basically dry out the parts and then try to turn it back on later if it is dead its dead. 

You'd think you would learn your lesson after the first time...

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

You'd think you would learn your lesson after the first time...

Technically the second time wasn't caused by my actions, but regardless it went into my case. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Personally I would go to an AllPhase or some electrical supply house and tell them about it and if there are any good sprays or products that would help.

25 years ago working in merchant vessel engine rooms they had something called eletri-clean we used all the times. You had to know which type to use. One was bad for windings.

Another thing, the water, even after it dries, leaves minerals behind since I doubt you spilled distilled water. Clean those up by wiping everything thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, as some of those minerals are kinda corrosive over time, and are not good if you want to resell components and there are water stains.