What is happening to our world.

LukaP

So ive seen a talk by Tom Scott a while ago, about how for every little bit of luxury we get into our lives, we give up a little bit of our privacy. And he is right. Everything new that turns up collects some sort of data about us. And it may seem harmless. So what if google knows what i like to eat you might think. But then, when its all compiled into one big database, they can pretty much compile a complete profile of you, build a 3d model of you, used for facial recognition, if they want. Its not hard, with most of our lives on FB/Twitter/WE...

And im scared of that. But its too late to stop it.

Anyhow, your thoughts? And please, if you have the time, see the talk, its really good.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I don't care about my privacy, I honestly don't care.

I think the bigger problem are the people that still think that all of this NSA talk is conspiracy and that google isn't using their data in a harmful way, I have to give apple credits when they say that google is a company that makes its money with selling data, but anyways its very fucked up if we think about it. 

Imagine what google knows about me and I am not even posting a selfie every day. Its so sad but noone, myself neither, wants to give up the comfort those things bring.

I am still blown away by the fact that the US is still talking about TTIP and stuff when, IN MY OPINION, the NSA thing was worse than Russia invading the Krim.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

But lets be honest, what would cause this to get of hand, aside from things like hackers, but even that is kinda becoming an issue now.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

agreed,the only thing that i can think that you can have without giving your privacy is....a bed. i want the most comfortable bed in the whole world, even if the next version came out i want it aswell and i hope it's a master bed soo i can roll and roll on it. #14YearOldDream

True, but then the counter argument is "you choose what you share".

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I'm more concerned about the brewing conflict in the West Philippine Sea...

never had a detailed FB profile... but it's link to my common use mail so... they may not have my actual looks, but they have my habits...

I don't care about my privacy. So what if Google stores personal information about you? They do that with everyone, it's not like you're going to stick out from the crowd in some way. As long as you're not doing anything illegal.

But lets be honest, what would cause this to get of hand, aside from things like hackers, but even that is kinda becoming an issue now.

All the insanely good hackers got bought out by companies. There is only so much patriotism in a person and then there is such a big pile of cash from a larger company and the logic that you wouldn't have to worry for the rest of your life. Can't blame them, I'd take the deal too...

My only pro tip is that you don't post too much personal stuff on social networks. If you blend in like the rest and don't raise any red flags, you are good to go. :)

All the insanely good hackers got bought out by companies. There is only so much patriotism in a person and then there is such a big pile of cash from a larger company and the logic that you wouldn't have to worry for the rest of your life. Can't blame them, I'd take the deal too...

My only pro tip is that you don't post too much personal stuff on social networks. If you blend in like the rest and don't raise any red flags, you are good to go. :)

Well Im no celebrity myself, and the only social networks I use now are those typical of any other high school kid, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter  ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

True, but then the counter argument is "you choose what you share".

No you dont. not when facial scanning becomes good enough to recognise you in a selfie by a tourist. not when there will be a 3d model of you in some database, from all those pictures. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I don't care about my privacy. So what if Google stores personal information about you? They do that with everyone, it's not like you're going to stick out from the crowd in some way. As long as you're not doing anything illegal.

this

as long as everyones privacy is taken away equally then there isnt much of a difference

the only thing they can really do knowing more about me is giving me more personalized ads, which I would like

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No you dont. not when facial scanning becomes good enough to recognise you in a selfie by a tourist. not when there will be a 3d model of you in some database, from all those pictures. 

I'm interested what they'd do with my 3D model? I get that they want to know what I'm buying to sell me things through ads or even my passwords and PINs, but what would a 3D model of me be good for?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I'm tired of all the people saying: "I don't care about my privacy". Have you ever read 1984? In the moment you give a person, a state, a company that amount of knowledge about you, you give them power. Too much power. What if Google suddenly decided they needed more money. Do you trust them not to use the stuff on your phone to do so? You're putting way too much trust into your government and these companies. 

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I'm interested what they'd do with my 3D model? I get that they want to know what I'm buying to sell me things through ads or even my passwords and PINs, but what would a 3D model of me be good for?

knowing exactly where you are, what you are doing, how you dress, stuff like that. All can be used to construct your psychological model (all facts, not some tinfoil) to either prevent possible violence/crime or to provide targeted ads, take your pick.

Misinformation is the best way to fight it. Give them loads of false positives. Visit websites you have no interest in regularly, subscribe to every single political newsletter you can (of all affiliations),

in short, do everything you can to give them so much data that their "3d" profile of you can't be compiled because no inherent bias (in anything) can be determined.

Other things you can do:

start preparing for the eventual economic collapse that is sure to come.

• move out of major urban areas
  • stockpile food, water, and medicine (if possible)
  • read everything you can about self reliant "off the grid" survival.
  • stock pile tools and equipment that will aid you when the collapse comes
  • if you live somewhere where you can buy guns, do so. I would suggest at least a hunting shotgun, a pistol, and hunting rifle with a good scope. Remember to stock pile ammo, and learn how to service your weapons
  • invest in some form of power generating technology

Yeah yeah, I'm wearing the tinfoil I know. But the way things are going, it's obvious that a major financial collapse is coming within the next two, maybe three decades. Especially when automation puts 90% of the "lower class" out of work.

I'm not predicting a "fallout" type situation, where society pretty much permanently disappears. Merely a period of extreme chaos and unrest. We are going through a rather significant technological and financial revolution. Wherein the "base" of our financial system (laborers) are going to be made obsolete, by new technology. Eventually things will settle down, I am just suggesting things that can help you survive that transition.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

knowing exactly where you are, what you are doing, how you dress, stuff like that. All can be used to construct your psychological model (all facts, not some tinfoil) to either prevent possible violence/crime or to provide targeted ads, take your pick.

But they already know where you are - the IP is a pretty good indicator; what you're doing - google searches, ebay/amazon purchases etc

osu! profile

Honestly, with data that various sites have about me, they could probably replace me.  :lol:

But seriously, I'm not bothered anymore about stuff that I am posting/searching on sites because when I use them I know what I'm contributing to, we all should know by now. Either way they are gonna get it. With that said, I provide as little rl info of me as I can, even though I know they are gonna collect the data somehow, I'll make it hard as I can even not provide info at all. I would like if they wouldn't take it but that's not our reality. Sadly.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There's no such thing excepting an asteroid mere moments from colliding with the earth that is to late to stop. And even then it's less a matter of lack of time so much as means.

Seeing as how you could live your entire life without ever utilizing facebook/twitter or the internet at all.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

And that friends, is why I have no Facebook account. But I'm addicted to YouTube so I'm F**cred.

- snip-

Misinformation is the best way to fight it. Give them loads of false positives. Visit websites you have no interest in regularly, subscribe to every single political newsletter you can (of all affiliations),

in short, do everything you can to give them so much data that their "3d" profile of you can't be compiled because no inherent bias (in anything) can be determined.

Other things you can do:

start preparing for the eventual economic collapse that is sure to come.

• move out of major urban areas
  • stockpile food, water, and medicine (if possible)
  • read everything you can about self reliant "off the grid" survival.
  • stock pile tools and equipment that will aid you when the collapse comes
  • if you live somewhere where you can buy guns, do so. I would suggest at least a hunting shotgun, a pistol, and hunting rifle with a good scope. Remember to stock pile ammo, and learn how to service your weapons
  • invest in some form of power generating technology

Yeah yeah, I'm wearing the tinfoil I know. But the way things are going, it's obvious that a major financial collapse is coming within the next two, maybe three decades. Especially when automation puts 90% of the "lower class" out of work.

I'm not predicting a "fallout" type situation, where society pretty much permanently disappears. Merely a period of extreme chaos and unrest. We are going through a rather significant technological and financial revolution. Wherein the "base" of our financial system (laborers) are going to be made obsolete, by new technology. Eventually things will settle down, I am just suggesting things that can help you survive that transition.

Ahh, triki, how was it that I knew exactly what you were going to say?

- snip-

But they already know where you are - the IP is a pretty good indicator; what you're doing - google searches, ebay/amazon purchases etc

more as in, exactly where you are, where you shop, where you like to hang, the people you hang with off line. everything you dont put online, others do, for you. and you cant even do anything about it

In the end, the human race will survive, once we give up privacy rights and personal freedoms and behave like ants, well instead of a queen we will have a President of sorts. Forget about things like

1. Right to life

2. Right to education

3. Right to religious freedom

4. Right to property

5. Right to privacy

Give all these up, the State will take care of you, cloth you, feed you, provide you free Internet access. Live out our lives, without questioning, without reasoning... No conflict, no war, world peace at last.

All your data (online,medical, financial, perhaps even DNA)

+

3D printing (molecular)

+

Artificial intelligence

=

You 2.0?

Seems feasible on the distant future.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero