Flagships 3 years later - S3 vs 4S - which held up better?

Aniallation

So recently, I've been looking for a phone of the around $100 price range where I am, and I came across two options from two of my friends, both of which let me borrow for a while so I can try them out and see which is a keeper. The Samsung Galaxy S3, and the iPhone 4S. So which shall it be?

p04mxeD.jpg

Now, consideration needs to be taken into how these phones are costing me $100. These are by no means power user phones by today's standards, and my main usage for them is just browsing Facebook, taking a few pictures every now and then, Snapchat, Kik, some web browsing, some YouTube, and most of all a lot of music listening, both locally and over Spotify.

Both are running the latest OS versions, iOS 8.3 on the iPhone and Android 5.1.1 on the Samsung. Both were used on Bell Canada. This is the Canadian SGH-I747 (dual-core Snapdragon) version of the S3, not the international I9300.

Display and form factor: Samsung Galaxy S3

The iPhone 4S's screen may be nice, but I just can't see myself seeing it as acceptable in today's usage compared to the S3 and other, larger smartphones that people have grown accustomed to. Sure, some people may prefer the smaller size of the iPhone, but you'll want at least an iPhone 5 for it to be usable.

In modern apps like Facebook Messenger and Kik, you'll only see at most 3 single-line messages between the top of the top of the entry field and the bottom of the title bar when the keyboard is present. When the messages get long you'd be hard pressed to see one full message on the screen at once and it really starts to get on your nerves. The S3's much larger screen is just far less cramped to read off of, and Android often hides the title bar in favor of using the hardware menu and back keys (vs menu and back included as part of the title bar on iOS), giving you even more screen real estate. 

Sure the 4S's screen has more accurate colors then oversaturated Super AMOLED, but that alone is not enough to make up for the poor usability experience. The S3 has a larger footprint in the hand and in your pocket, so it's harder to grip the whole thing, however the flat back and edges on the iPhone make it not the best ergonomically to hold, either. 

Camera: Draw

The S3's camera seems to take the sharper shots (without oversharpening), and takes much better photos in the dark, even if the viewfinder frame rate does noticeably dip compared to the iPhone. However the iPhone often has better exposure in very bright situations which can cause the S3 to become overexposed and too bright or washed out. It also seems to be better for close-up shots. Either is fine for causal social media pictures. 

Front camera however, the S3's 720p front-facing selfie camera wins hands down over the iPhone's VGA front camera.

Battery: Samsung Galaxy S3

Both phones are on their original batteries, I've used both phones plenty today, and actually used the S3 more heavily then the 4S. The S3 is at 79%, the 4S is at 52%. Nuff said. As usual with iPhones, standby time is better, but really either of these at this point in their battery age will require charging every night anyways. For people who aren't satisfied with one charge, the S3 allows for easily swappable batteries to get you right back up to 100% in seconds, whereas the iPhone has to be plugged in, and although it charges fast, it's still not 0-100 as real quick as just swapping batteries. 

Connectivity: Samsung Galaxy S3

The S3 with it's LTE cellular connectivity, dual-band Wireless N and NFC definitely win over the 4S's 3G cellular connectivity, single-band Wireless N and lack of NFC. Even on 3G, the S3 is still faster, being capable of 21Mbps network speeds compared to the 4S's 14Mbps. 

Let's be realistic, if I was comparing the two as-is I'd give it to the S3 as I use it with AOSP 5.1 Lollipop. However to the masses, they'll be using 4.4.2 KitKat with TouchWiz on top. Not only does this add more bloatware and cause for slower feeling UI navigation, there's just some features that Android took from iOS and added to Lollipop that make life so much easier, like notifications on the lockscreen. The S3 will not be updated officially past KitKat, while the iPhone 4S is confirmed to receive the upcoming iOS 9.

Many people do prefer the customization and more open access of Android, but it's just not worth it over iOS for TouchWiz. However on the other hand with a custom ROM updated to the latest version of stock Android, there are many reasons why the S3 would be the winner instead. 

But even with iOS's victory, two words have to be said: FUCK ITUNES

Performance: Samsung Galaxy S3

Although I said that there wasn't going to be too much performance-oriented comparisons, some people still want to play some casual games on their phones and for this the S3 definitely wins. Even in simple games like Crossy Road, ZigZag and Jelly Jump there was noticeable lag on the 4S that wasn't present on the S3. And in games like CSR Racing and Nitro Nation online, the stuttering was to the point where I didn't even want to play it on the 4S, while I could definitely live with what was there on the S3. 

Little things: Samsung Galaxy S3

There's just those few little things that are present on the Galaxy S3 that I can't help but realize make a big difference when switching over to the iPhone. The LED notification light, MicroSD expansion slot, open file system access, easily accessible SIM card that doesn't need a paper clip... just little things that make life easier with the S3.

Conclusion:

So which phone is more worth your ~$100? Definitely the Samsung S3. Sure it might not be fancy all-metal-and-glass or have an Apple logo on it, but it's just an overall much better experience if you're looking for something cheap that gets the job done. Especially if you're able to install a custom ROM on it and rid yourself of TouchWiz. And it seems like iPhone 4S sell for slightly more then S3 do where I am, so with a deal you might actually save yourself a decent amount going for the S3 as well.

"Rawr XD"

Its interesting. I agree 100%. but simply one year later, the s4 and iphone 5, I have both devices and been a android fanboy since forever, but im seriously going to switch over to the iphone. 

edit: good write up

You also got to factor in the WiFi problem on the 4S....hardware/software mixed.

WiFi haven't been working on my 4S for 2 years.

Man the SIII would be baller with Lollipop and a new TouchWiz version.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You also got to factor in the WiFi problem on the 4S....hardware/software mixed.

WiFi haven't been working on my 4S for 2 years.

Mine doesn't have this problem but my uncle's did I think... where the WiFi is just grayed out?

"Rawr XD"

Mine doesn't have this problem but my uncle's did I think... where the WiFi is just grayed out?

Yep, i heard you can fix it by heating the iPhone up and let the phone cool down, similar a way how baking a GPU would bring it back to life(reflow solder). Too lazy to do it atm as i need to jailbreak my 4S first to unlock(was used on Verizon). 

very imformative write up. I'll be replacing my S4 in a few months, but with a custom ROM on it, it has been a very useful phone, and I'll probably sell it to a friend. luckily mine still has the stock baseband, and can therefore be loki'd. I'm on verizon in the US, so the bootloader is locked, but the loki hack allowed me to enjoy most of the benifit of an unlocked bootloader anyways

Nice write up!

I have to disagree about the OS though. While the 4S might get the update to iOs 9, the older devices rarely get everything, and it often results in a much slower experience with a slough of issues.

My friend has updated his last two iPhones to newer operating systems and both times it's made the devices sluggish, and introduced numerous bugs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only redeeming factor to the S3 IMO is the ability to flash ROMs, if it weren't for that I would say the 4S is better.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Did someone say Lollipop

Factory Lollipop. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nice write up!

I have to disagree about the OS though. While the 4S might get the update to iOs 9, the older devices rarely get everything, and it often results in a much slower experience with a slough of issues.

My friend has updated his last two iPhones to newer operating systems and both times it's made the devices sluggish, and introduced numerous bugs.

This is just as it stands. We'll have to see how well optimized iOS 9 is for it I guess. iOS 6 was optimized really well for the 3GS, but iOS 7 was shit on the 4.

The only redeeming factor to the S3 IMO is the ability to flash ROMs, if it weren't for that I would say the 4S is better.

I'd still take the S3 with the stock ROM

I still use my SIII with a custom ROM that might beat out the Apple OS.  :)

Lollipop is definitely better then iOS 8 IMO

"Rawr XD"

--

--

Lollipop is definitely better then iOS 8 IMO

lol, I am still on a jelly bean mod...LiquidSmooth (cyanogen)... very cut down... keeps things as responsive and snappy as it was 2.5 years ago.

I got a question, is there official flash support for phones yet?  I remember doing some sh*t to get flash to work on my phone.

My sister has a 4s, I have a s3, all of my buttons work still, and only her home button works.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Nice write up!

iOS 9 is much more efficient for me. It's not very often where beta software improves battery life. iOS 9 beta 1 is better than the public release versions of iOS 7 & 8.

Hint, I'm am typing this on a device with iOS 9 if it wasn't obvious enough

If we're choosing 3 year old flagships, I would go Nexus 4. Still gets updates to lollipop and runs super smooth. Only issue I have is the battery. I downgraded from the Nexus 5 for a while since I'm using it as a project

If we're choosing 3 year old flagships, I would go Nexus 4. Still gets updates to lollipop and runs super smooth. Only issue I have is the battery. I downgraded from the Nexus 5 for a while since I'm using it as a project

I rooted my phone within two weeks of purchase.  Updating is a complete turnoff for me.  I want my phone to work, and I want control over it's functions.  I can add software as I choose from that point.

Im still running the s3 and its holding up ok, im going on 3 years with it and I have an 7000mAh battery that lasts me the week.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Very nice write up. 

I upgraded to an S3 from an iPhone 4 in 2012, and it was worlds better (then replaced that with a OnePlus One in 2014). The only issue I see here is the time frame. Apple announces phones in September and Samsung announces phones in around March if memory serves me correct. Which means that yes, the S3 would have beaten an iPhone 4s if you had bought one in April when after the S3 came out, but before the iPhone 5. But if you waited until September when the iPhone 5 came out, then yes, it might have beaten the pants off an S3. Same also goes if you look a year earlier. The September the iPhone 4s came out, but still before the S3 announcement. An iPhone 4s would have probably beaten a Galaxy S2. So realistically it still depended on the time you bought these phones in the era of their release.

But that's not the point of this post. I agree that in 2015 I would have taken an S3. The iPhone 4s screen would be just too small for me now plus some other factors. I also didn't realize that Cyanogenmod 12.1 was out for the Bell S3, I'll definitely be downloading that tomorrow. 

My S3 died after just over a year (bought it brand new) of constant use. Was awesome while it lasted but definitely developed some strange behavior near the end. Replaced it with a Nexus 5 and haven't looked back. Only real gripe with the Nexus is the constant bugginess of the camera and battery. Cyanogen takes care of most of that though.

I also have an S4 through work, and while the TouchWiz makes it sluggish, it's definitely a very capable phone as well.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

EDIT

Double post.

Damn you faulty network cable.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

My Moto Razr M lasted 6 months before it became too slow to use, died before 2pm, and pixels started dying. 

My Z1 though lasted 1.75 years no problem. (Though the water proofing became hit or miss at the end)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

You may say that. But it's clearly not even remotely the case.

Funny story. My daily driver that i've owned since 2013 is an iPhone 4 vanilla.

Not really needing to upgrade now, either. Besides, new phones are huge.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750