Experiences with non-techies

stating to feel like ever bloody person that posts in new builds and planning knows so little about tech to read the obvious read before posting...

Yep, though, haven't we all been there at some time in our lives.

Yep, though, haven't we all been there at some time in our lives.

its pretty bloody hard to miss the read before posting post when its pretty much below the make a new post button 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Anyone that builds one computer and thinks they are the pc building guru of the world. Those people drive me more nuts then non-techies.

Agreed I have built quite a few pc's, I work on computers all day and I still know that I know shit all about any of it. I will read the damn mobo manual every single time and double check all the things. Yet there will be the person that once saw a picture of someone putting together a pc and now they know how its all done.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Anyone that builds one computer and thinks they are the pc building guru of the world. Those people drive me more nuts then non-techies.

I went to my friends house to fix his PC that he bought from a PC buiding company (I won't get into it *cringe*). We basically had to rebuild the whole thing due to having a new CPU, cooler and case. After we put it all together and turned it on he said "That was easy, I think we could have built one in the first place". As if that isn't what I told him before he bought it...

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

a friend of mine tried to argue that his ps4 is just as powerful as my pc because it runs killzone shadowfall at 1080p 60 fps. he claims that it looks just like crysis 3, which i get around 55 fps maxed out

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

a friend of mine tried to argue that his ps4 is just as powerful as my pc because it runs killzone shadowfall at 1080p 60 fps. he claims that it looks just like crysis 3, which i get around 55 fps maxed out

If he wants to prove it's 'as powerful' he'd better be able to prove it has a higher flops than your PC (which it won't). We've passed the time when a few PS3's would be cheap enough and powerful enough to run computing operations. Shame, really.

One day my friend said he wanted to buy an iMac, he asked me where and what the "computer" part of the iMac was and asked if it was the black thing (mac pro). Facepalm.

On another note, he wants to play battlefield 4 and the latest games (like watchdogs) on his laptop, a Ivy Bridge i5 computer with 8 GB of RAM and Intel integrated HD4000 graphics.

We owned an iMac for 6 years. My sister thought there was a separate computer. after 6 years

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

We owned an iMac for 6 years. My sister thought there was a separate computer. after 6 years

Seems like the opposite of the popular non-techie who thinks the monitor is the computer.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

On the back of a TV, a VGA connector, labeled "PC connector"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, I'd say that's actually good, you know, that she is aware about the entire Monitor =/= Computer thing.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Well, I'd say that's actually good, you know, that she is aware about the entire Monitor =/= Computer thing.

Eh, she also said why do you have so many computers when I have 2 monitors

its pretty bloody hard to miss the read before posting post when its pretty much below the make a new post button 

True, it does take a special kind of stupid to miss that.

True, it does take a special kind of stupid to miss that.

Am I eligible for that? :D

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I know you posted this last year, but WTF xD You made my day.

CPU: I7 4790 @ 4GHz /w Cooler Master Hyper 412S | MOBO: ASUS Z97 PRO | GPU: Gigabyte gtx 780 OC | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB @ 1866MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850 | SSD Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7000rpm | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | MONITOR: Samsung S24D300 | KEYBOARD: CMStorm Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G500s | MOUSE#2: Logitech M500| HEADSET: Logitech G230 | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z313 2.1  | Phone: Galaxy Note II

Am I eligible for that? :D

Maybe :D

On the back of a TV, a VGA connector, labeled "PC connector"

I have it too..

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I have it too..

I don't I'm just at a hotel

So this happened.. I've been trying for about five times now to get a legitimate rating on my specs..

3e2d06575c808f654dbad795212540ea.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My Auntie says she doesn't need to backup because her macbook 2007's hard drive is super stable and will last forever.  

Disaster waiting to happen...

But they do last long usually especially if it doesn't run all day, since mechanical drive...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Seems like the opposite of the popular non-techie who thinks the monitor is the computer.

Probably because they've been told that time and time again that the monitor isn't the computer :P

Disaster waiting to happen...

But they do last long usually especially if it doesn't run all day, since mechanical drive...

I think my HDD is on the way out. :(

b45cp.jpg

I'm sure this is fairly common with family members who don't have much of an interest or understanding in tech, but I was debating ordering the M95 I want and trialling Amazon Prime to get it here before we go on holiday (vacation for you North Americans) or to wait until we come back and order it then along with an ESO Time Card I need, and after checking to see if the price had been distorted, my mum goes "£64, that's a bit expensive for a mouse, isn't it?". Before I could explain she said "What's wrong with your other one?" referring to my temporary replacement mouse after I kinda broke my M310's scrollwheel. Luckily there are things wrong with my temporary mouse (it making my hand sweat, and being way to small to fit properly), but I also mentioned about how the M95 has a higher quality sensor and MOAR BUDDONS.

I think that non-techies don't realise is that having a computer as a hobby and investing in good parts is similar to having a classic car and investing time into tweaking and looking after it - it's expensive. However, she does kinda have a point with the mouse. Corsair's marketing don't seem to understand what an exchange rate is. The M95 retails for $79.99 and is listed at £65 on their site. That's about £10-15 above the exchange rate (blame shipping?) but they originally had it for £80, and on Amazon the mouse is listed as £80 cut down to £64 with Corsair as the seller. If it ever goes back up to that 'full price' I'm paying ~170% of the price of the mouse in USD.

Damn, that was longer than I expected. Must be in a typing mood :P

TL;DR was debating buying an M95 before I go on holiday and when my mum saw the price she said "that's expensive for a mouse, isn't it? What's wrong with the one you have?"

I know you posted this last year, but WTF xD You made my day.

she also brings her computers to us for all of her problems still, true story.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

My friend's Flip headphones broke and he wanted a replacement. At first he told me that he was getting some $150 Beats by Dre headphones and I told him that they are shit for that price and that they were good for listening to hip hop, which he doesn't listen to much.

Good thing that he then decided to get the Astro A40. He could use this for gaming and he had a great headset In mind. Of course he could get better quality headphones and a mic for just as much or cheaper, but I don't want to ruin this good decision.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.