Forget ISIS, Hackers and Money—The Universe Is About to Collapse

Arty

This is yahoo news so not sure how creditable, ill look up more links

It's the emergence of a "new theory", not even one worth mentioning (yet?). Otherwise you'd hear about it coast-to-coast across the world.

Nice title though. Mistook you for Buzzfeed!

*puts hand up*

This idea of a 'big crunch' has been trotted out hundreds of times before. Unfortunately the current best evidence cosmologists and astronomers(I'm a student of) have suggests that the speed at which the cosmos expands is accelerating and will continue to accelerate until heat death.
How do we look for this evidence? Take a bunch of measurements and compare them to the last bunch of measurements. In layman's terms...

Of course new evidence may pop up. But I'd be waiting until it becomes textbook to call any reasonable certainty unless one is active in the field.

Oh and while I'm here: People need to look up the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. They're not interchangeable terms in scientific discourse.
Media and science really don't mix...

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I dont get the surprise... 

Some of us already were pretty sure that this is the case, instead of a ever expanding universe...  because everything in nature is born and dies; we even recently found out that black holes die too.

It will all collapse back to ZERO and start over with new laws of nature, count of dimensions, some other concept instead of mass, so on.., so on.

And there most likey isnt any other universes or anything like that - thats just the magical thinking again that our retarded species is so good at apparently.

But whats the meaning of there being something at all, you ask? ... Thats a meaningless question, as thx to antimatter, the total energy of the universe is ZERO.

I think you missed the point. It wasn't about theories being unprovable  at all, or completely, it was about theories that couldn't be proven or supported by evidence yet.

Oh.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

"Look ISIS stop doing our **, we should unite and fight, because we gonna DIE!!!... of course in couple of billions years but that doesn't matter"

- someone... somewhere....

If you upgrade/build rigs every four years that's only 250 000 000 upgrades...We should hurry and upgrade more often.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

*puts hand up*

*looks at profile picture*

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

*Is scared in spite of myself*

*Sees "Few tens of billions of years"*

*Facepalm*

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

*looks at profile picture*

Haha, I did the same thing. Was like oh snap, actually raised hand. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Some of us already were pretty sure that this is the case, instead of a ever expanding universe...  because everything in nature is born and dies; we even recently found out that black holes die too.

You've made some logic nopes there. There is a difference between surrendering to entropy and everything in the cosmos suddenly reversing direction for a crunch. Black holes run out of matter to consume and slowly evaporate thanks to their thermal emission. Bad analogy, but the point stands. Take a gander at Hawking Radiation. Also entropic heat death. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

You've made some logic nopes there. There is a difference between surrendering to entropy and everything in the cosmos suddenly reversing direction for a crunch. Black holes run out of matter to consume and slowly evaporate thanks to their thermal emission. Bad analogy, but the point stands. Take a gander at Hawking Radiation. Also entropic heat death. 

Hawking radiation is the way black holes evaporate i believe. Doesnt have to be a quick death.

And if everything just endlessly was surrendering to entropy then we wouldnt even have stars, just a uniform soup of gas and radiation from the beginning of the universe. The universe definitely works against entropy.

Yes, you yourself are falling appart, but you have to be born first.

In other news, the Sun will probably engulf the Earth.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Old theory is old.  Big crunch, big tear, or icicle.  

Physics is at the point were stellar measurements can be made that show that galaxies shouldn't be held together by the force of gravity alone...hence, 'dark matter'.  Then other measurements show that the universe isn't just expanding, it's accelerating at an increasing pace...hence 'dark energy'.

Hang the sense of it because there is none.

Old theory is old.  Big crunch, big tear, or icicle.  

Physics is at the point were stellar measurements can be made that show that galaxies shouldn't be held together by the force of gravity alone...hence, 'dark matter'.  Then other measurements show that the universe isn't just expanding, it's accelerating at an increasing pace...hence 'dark energy'.

Hang the sense of it because there is none.

Scientists today are still the same borderline autistic monkeys that our species is... and they ARE the best we have ever had.

Saying "WE DONT KNOW" apparently still scares everyone to the very bottom of their brains, so they make up bullshit to plug the holes instead of admitting that our knowledge about reality is still a FAR off before we can start grasping questions on the scale of the cosmos.