Is it bad to turn off your PC while its still hot from load?

pluto5963

Lets say you just played a game the put you pc under load and then you had to turn it off to go to dinner perhaps. IF your CPU runs at 60c under load and you turn off your pc after your session that turns off your cooler too leaving your cpu at 60c with nothing to cool it. Although its not producing any more heat its still hot with nothing to cool it. The same for your GPU. An analogy would be taking a nap after working out. Going directly to sleep in your bed would be uncomfortable since your still sweaty so wouldn't cooling yourself off maybe with a drink and a shower then going to bed be better or does this not apply to PC's.  

no. it will cool down by itself. there won't be anything to heat it up while its shutdown

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Its not going to get hotter and its probably fine at the load temp and is just going to get colder

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

no. it will cool down by itself. there won't be anything to heat it up while its shutdown

but it still takes a while for the cooler to cool it back to idle temps

I like to let my PC "idle" a little before I sleep it. I give it approximately 30 seconds.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It'll be fine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I dont know about you, but my PC pretty much cools down to idle temps almost immediatly after closing a demanding application. I wouldnt worry about it anyways, i mean, when you turn it off, there will not be produced any  more heat whatsoever, and components do cool down pretty fast when that happens. Nothing will happen.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Yep. So?

If you're running at 70 degrees, and then turn the computer off, it's not going to get any hotter than 70 degrees. And if it runs fine at 70 degrees, who cares if it takes a little longer to slow down,

Though if you have a decent cooler, it's really a moot point. If I run my 4930k at load with my Noctua U14s, and then stop load, it takes less than a few seconds to reach normal idle temperatures. At that rate, during a shutdown, the system would be cool again before the computer powered down and the fans stop spinning.

Even on a stock cooler though, it won't take long at all for the CPU itself to cool down.

It would cool down as there is no more heat being produced, just heat leaving (slowly).

This is a common PC myth out there that was exploited back in the day; with GPUs, cooler and mobos that advertised that the fans will keep spinning a few seconds once you turn off the system.

The heat will no longer continue to increase, once the circuitry is shut off the silicon won't keep generating it.

It would cool down as there is no more heat being produced, just heat leaving (slowly).

This is a common PC myth out there that was exploited back in the day; with GPUs, cooler and mobos that advertised that the fans will keep spinning a few seconds once you turn off the system.

The heat will no longer continue to increase, once the circuitry is shut off the silicon won't keep generating it.

Even today BeQuiet PSUs with integrated fan headers will keep the fans spinning 3 minutes after you shut down the PC.

Granted, it does have its uses in helping the parts to cool down faster.  Still, there's no real need for it.  (which is why I don't use the fan headers on my PSU to begin with)

What everyone else said.

Even without a fan, a heatsink is still doing it's job.

I turn all of my fans in my system to max speed for about 30 seconds - 1 minute, then I shut down, including GPU fans

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Lets say you just played a game the put you pc under load and then you had to turn it off to go to dinner perhaps. IF your CPU runs at 60c under load and you turn off your pc after your session that turns off your cooler too leaving your cpu at 60c with nothing to cool it. Although its not producing any more heat its still hot with nothing to cool it. The same for your GPU. An analogy would be taking a nap after working out. Going directly to sleep in your bed would be uncomfortable since your still sweaty so wouldn't cooling yourself off maybe with a drink and a shower then going to bed be better or does this not apply to PC's.  

I think comparing a human body to a bunch of circuits isn't the greatest comparison.

That said, I think there are a few people here who are overthinking it. If you're finished with your computer, turn it off. If there's still some stuff that's warm, it isn't going to do any damage to it. It will passively cool down, and there isn't anything to heat it up since there isn't any current passing through it. I'd usually wait for my computer to be off, flick the power supply off and then press the power button to discharge any power that's there, but that's usually because I'm on my way to bed and need to blue lights and stuff gone, not because I'm worried about whatever current is left keeping stuff hot

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I turn all of my fans in my system to max speed for about 30 seconds - 1 minute, then I shut down, including GPU fans

7770's make almost no heat... there's no point... I had a 7790 I ran at 1.3Ghz and it topped out at 70 with ~50% fan speed. There's no point at all defies physics and logic to run the fans at 100% to "cool it down".

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

About 1min or so. Its not like with projectors where fan is keeping light bulb cool and needs to keep running for awhile after shutdown so hot internals and cooling lamp don't break eachother.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 years later...

Think about it this way: you're plugging away at your favorite new game and your cpu/gpu combo has been at a steady and piping hot 80+ degrees for over an hour now. You're lovin it! Your fan has been cranking away to keep your house from burning down and so far so good... no blaring sirens and no muffled screams.

Next thing you know your digital landscape turns entirely blue and you're assaulted by a strange, jarring tone. The notorious blue screen of death shuts down your pc (including your fans!) and electricity is no longer zapping your motherboard. The temperature of every single component immediately drops; and continues to drop over time until they've hit room temperature. This can take its sweet time because minutes ago the prevailing temperature was consistently 80+ for however long it was taking you to beat that mini boss and you didn't have a care in the world. So why, all of the sudden, do you care about how quickly the temperature falls from 79 to 32? Make sense? 80+ degrees was completely acceptable for hours, so why would 79 degrees not be okay for a minute or two? Bottom line, don't worry about it... You've never worried before! 

CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.2 GHz cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX RAM: Crucial 16GB 1600 

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4 GB SC | SSD: Mushkin 240GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitors: BenQ G2400W 24" LCD 

Mouse: Logitech Performance Laser | Phone: Google Nexus 5

*** Thread locked ***

Please don't revive threads that are older than 6 months. This was buried over 4 years ago!

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv