AMD Confirms, Asus MG279Q 120Hz IPS Monitor Supports FreeSync

TechFan@ic

AMD has confirmed that the upcoming 120Hz IPS display from Asus does in fact support FreeSync. Although the monitor hasn't been certified by AMD which is why it doesn't carry the FreeSync label.

MG279Q.jpg

Certification of FreeSync monitors will be handled by AMD directly. The company says it wants to ensure its brand is synonymous with a "good experience." The certification process will be free of charge, the company tells us, so it hopefully won't add to the cost of FreeSync panels. That said, AMD says its drivers will also allow variable-refresh mojo with non-FreeSync-certified panels, provided those panels support the DisplayPort 1.2a Adaptive-Sync specification. One such monitor will be Asus' MG279Q, which we saw earlier this week. With or without certification, though, a FreeSync-capable Radeon GPU will be required for variable refresh rates to work.

Via WCCFTech and TechReport

AMD's FreeSync functionality will be enabled by the AMD drivers even on uncertified panels as long as the user has a FreeSync compatible monitor and graphics card.

AMD promises a total of 11 certified FreeSync displays by the end of March and predicts a total of 20 in 2015. That's excluding FreeSync compatible but uncertified monitors such as the one mentioned above. So in total there will be over 20 FreeSync capable monitors to choose from in 2015.

there has been a lot of rumors that all of these so called "120FPS IPs monitors" are actually VA

any info on that ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

there has been a lot of rumors that all of these so called "120FPS IPs monitors" are actually VA

any info on that ?

How is that possible ?? if I'm not wrong isn't VA different from IPS - different panel - if it's then I don't think they would advertise it as IPS if it's VA.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How is that possible ?? if I'm not wrong isn't VA different from IPS - different panel - if it's then I don't think they would advertise it as IPS if it's VA.

Would have thought that benQ would have beaten Asus to the punch for a VA 120hz monitor

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

any info on that ?

they are AHVA yes, its basically the same as IPS though, the marketing keeps calling them "IPS type panel"

i maybe falling for amd 

Freesync should work on Nvidia too since its part of the display port standard, or you can use Gsync

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

any info on that ?

AHVA, and despite the name it isn't related to VA. It's closely related to IPS but doesn't have the same 60 fps limit. It's the panel used by BenQ and Acer primarily.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

no idea i believe its just a marketing term for "IPS like"

the rumors started at tomshardware

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-xb270hu-xg270hu-ips-g-sync,28299.html

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

no idea i believe its just a marketing term for "IPS like"

the rumors started at tomshardware

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-xb270hu-xg270hu-ips-g-sync,28299.html

I don't believe that they would do that to much risks.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Would have thought that benQ would have beaten Asus to the punch for a VA 120hz monitor

they are AHVA yes, its basically the same as IPS though, the marketing keeps calling them "IPS type panel"

Freesync should work on Nvidia too since its part of the display port standard, or you can use Gsync

AHVA, and despite the name it isn't related to VA. It's closely related to IPS but doesn't have the same 60 fps limit. It's the panel used by BenQ and Acer primarily.

They are the same ?????????? I don't get it tell me yes or no.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

IPS

AHVA

VA

Are all different methods of doing the same thing, but they are all different technology 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not the same, but they share many of the same benefits, including much better colors and viewing angles compared to TN. As per power efficiency, IPS is better.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

IPS

AHVA

VA

Are all different methods of doing the same thing, but they are all different technology 

Okay.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Not the same, but they share many of the same benefits, including much better colors and viewing angles compared to TN. As per power efficiency, IPS is better.

It has lower response times than TN right ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It has lower response times than TN right ?

no heres a little copy pasted section from TFTCentral 

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#ahva

Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle (AHVA)
Again while not strictly an IPS panel variant, we have left AHVA in this section as it is designed as an "IPS-mode" technology. Introduced first at the end of 2012 this technology is designed by AU Optronics as another alternative to IPS. Confusingly the AHVA name makes it sound like it's a VA-type panel, which AU Optronics have been manufacturing for many  years. It should not be confused with AMVA which is their current "true" VA technology produced. To date there has only been one AHVA panel produced, a 27" 2560 x 1440 resolution module which has been used in only one screen. The BenQ BL2710PT featured this new technology and gave us some insight into the performance characteristics of AHVA.
Response time specs reach as low as 4ms G2G on paper but in reality the matrix does not perform any better than the faster IPS or PLS panels. Contrast ratios can reach up to the advertised 1000:1 and viewing angles are also very comparable to IPS. There is no off-centre contrast shift like you see on normal VA panels, but a pale glow is visible on dark content from an angle like with IPS/PLS. There is no support for higher refresh rates than 60Hz at this time. All in all AHVA does seem to be very comparable to IPS in practice. It remains to be seen whether AU Optronics will continue to invest in this technology much and whether other sized panels will emerge.

Freesync is using the display port standard yes, but there are no current nvidia cards that have the required version of display port.  Even if they address that in their next generation, nvidia doesn't want to support Freesync so you'll have to wait either for them to change their minds or for a 3rd party to write compatible drivers.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Freesync is using the display port standard yes, but there are no current nvidia cards that have the required version of display port.  Even if they address that in their next generation, nvidia doesn't want to support Freesync so you'll have to wait either for them to change their minds or for a 3rd party to write compatible drivers.

that is true, we will see what happens in the future

I think they are stupid to not support it

that is true, we will see what happens in the future

I think they are stupid to not support it

I think once Nvidia makes up the R&D money for GSync they can be convinced.

I think once Nvidia makes up the R&D money for GSync they can be convinced.

there are still benefits to Gysnc over freesync, they should support both while still advancing gsync further

Either way, I am glad both parties have a choice now

there are still benefits to Gysnc over freesync, they should support both while still advancing gsync further

Either way, I am glad both parties have a choice now

Can you elaborate on the first sentence?

Can you elaborate on the first sentence?

I don't think there are any tangible benefits that G-Sync holds over FreeSync, in fact I think it's quite the opposite. Lower latency is one and lower cost is another and variety just to name a few.

Richard Huddy told MaximumPC that they expect that the lower latency advantage that FreeSync holds over G-Sync will be easily measurable by reviewers.

I don't think there are any tangible benefits that G-Sync holds over FreeSync, in fact I think it's quite the opposite. Lower latency is one and lower cost is another and variety just to name a few.

Richard Huddy told MaximumPC that they expect that the lower latency advantage that FreeSync holds over G-Sync will be easily measurable by reviewers.

I also share the same perception. The only doubts that I have is how each behave outside the frequency range (in low and high frequencys) - from what I've got so far they work the same, but NVIDIA enforces V-Sync and AMD let's you choose V-Sync ON or OFF... wich gives again extra points to Freesync.

But still, I'm waiting for @ShadowCaptain reply, he might know something we don't know. This is all new stuff and some things might be missing.

It's AHVA which has nothing to do with VA, AHVA is just another proprietary IPS panel. AHVA uses InPlane switching technology making it IPS.

They'll work, Nvidia just needs to add support for it - if it's not plug 'n play that is.

I hope they jump on it because, while G-Sync is great and all, FreeSync is available to more people.

I sincerely hope Nvidia doesn't pull some BS and say G-Sync is superior and yadayada