Nvidia cards don't display full RGB color via HDMI - here's a fix

Patres87

This apparently isn't anything new, but I was stunned after applying the patch provided in the article. I am forced to use my monitor with HDMI (the other port being VGA), which I always though was sh*tty because the color were just off,  but after I connected my TV to HDMI and the colours were still washed out, I knew something's not right. 

So everybody using a nVidia card with a HDMI connected monitor should try this, you can still revert to original color spectrum.

it extends the color spectrum from 16-235 to the standard 0-255.

Source:

http://www.pcgamer.com//nvidia-cards-dont-full-rgb-color-through-hdmiheres-a-fix/

Link to the fix:
http://goo.gl/8tmKfh

Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II (ver.2) *** PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 700W *** CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 3 Ghz 12 Mb L2 Cache *** MoBo: Asus Striker Formula II *** GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II *** RAM: 4x Corsair Dominator 1GB DDR2 RAM 1066MHz PC2-8500 240-Pin DIMM CMX21024-8500C5D *** HDDs: Corsair Force Gt 240Gb SSD & Western Digital 2TB Green SATA II HDD *** Creative SOUND BLASTER Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe *** Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Black *** Keyboard: Roccat Arvo *** LCD: LG M2380D

Someone posted this a few days ago as well

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I've known this for a while now, the first day after I got a second monitor it became apparent to me, as I had to use HDMI and it just didn't look right, so I spendt a good hour searching for a solution. Nvidia has it incorporated into the control panel now though.

7F5zuyf.png

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I've known this for a while now, the first day after I got a second monitor it became apparent to me, as I had to use HDMI and it just didn't look right, so I spendt a good hour searching for a solution. Nvidia has it incorporated into the control panel now though.

Im surprised this is even news, ive known for 2 years

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I don't see a difference at all. Is there a way to test it?

I've known this and had to use a stupid workaround for years because the setting in the Nvidia control panel didn't work. The video card would just assume my monitor was an HDTV and output a signal with a limited color space (16-235) resulting in washed out colors. What I had to do was create a custom resolution and set the refresh rate to something not exactly 60 (e.g. 59.99999). That would trick the driver into outputting the correct signal.

After I switched to AMD earlier this year my R9 290 would default to the correct setting. And there is a simple drop down menu in the catalyst control center to change it if you need to.

It boggles my mind how Nvidia could get HDMI wrong for so long. To be fair it wasn't a major issue for me as I just do the workaround; but there are probably thousands of people  who don't realize that something is wrong, who don't know any better and they just end up thinking that their monitor sucks or HDMI sucks, or that this washed out image quality is normal...

What if I only see three, White over Grey, then a single black bar on the right?

Edit:

Nevermind, I think my eyes are just bad, or the lighting one.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

7F5zuyf.png

Does this method work? Or do you still have to use the hack/fix?

I thought this was common knowledge? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I actually didn't know this....

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

The setting in the control panel doesn't actually work on hdmi/displayport,using a custom resolution will get you full rgb or editing the inf file/reg fix (i have been editing the inf to get full rgb for over 2 years now)

A fix for this is incoming in the next driver BRANCH ,(https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523992/geforce-drivers/tip-for-nvidia-users-using-hdmi-and-getting-accurate-color-format/post/4371216/#4371216)

In case someone wants to edit the inf to get it to work (its does the same thing as the regedit/rgb tool only difference is if you edit the inf ,that it will do it during the install)

edit: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\####(whatever driver install you are trying to change)\WinVista_Win7_64(or whatever fits your system)\International or English\Display.Driver\nv_disp.inf
find the "[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]" sections and then right after each one add the line:
"HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD% ,1"

So for instance you get:
"[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
HKLM,"Software\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors" ,nvcuda.dll,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000000
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",AddDeviceSequence,% REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NoPages,%REG_DWORD% ,0x40120518
HKLM,"Software\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\ Vendors",nvcuda.dll,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000000
HKR,,MonitorCapabilityList,%REG_MULTI_SZ%,"ACR,2A1 ,71;"
HKR,,MonitorCapabilityList,%REG_SZ_APPEND%,"ACR,01 26,70; "
HKR,,UserModeDriverGUID,%REG_SZ%,"{9A516B97-E7C1-451B-9165- C5035994A3F5}"

[nv_miscBase_addreg__02]
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\DRS",DRS_DefaultProfile,%REG_SZ % ,"3D App - Default Global Settings"
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",AddDeviceSequence,% REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NoPages,%REG_DWORD% ,0x40120518
HKLM,"Software\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\ Vendors",nvcuda.dll,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000000
HKR,,UserModeDriverGUID,%REG_SZ%,"{9A516B97-E7C1-451B-9165- C5035994A3F5}""

etc. for all the __##s
make sure to add it for all the miscbase0addreg's there might be like 20 of them

into:
[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

[nv_miscBase_addreg__02]
HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\DRS",DRS_DefaultProfile,%REG_SZ % ,"3D App - Default Global Settings"

then you go back one directory and run setup.exe and install the driver

Wow, that made a big difference for me. I thought my monitor was bad with dark colors (everything looked washed out) but now every thing looks really good. Never thought to look in the control panel. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Repost: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/271109-hdmi-on-nvidia-cards-limited-to-limited-rgb/

Not news. My GeForce GTX 260 has the same issue, just now people realizes.

And in fact it's not even an issue. If you use HDMI it's because you are using a TV, else you would be using DVI.

That's a bad assumption there. might be valid when HDMI first come out but nowadays there are a lot of HDMI monitors and I use HDMI on one of my monitors as well.

Though it seems to be I was not hit with this issue on my GTX680.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

And in fact it's not even an issue. If you use HDMI it's because you are using a TV, else you would be using DVI.

Not really true.

There are monitors with HDMI, some with only VGA and HDMI (no display port or DVI).

Not exactly news, but it's good to spread awareness. I am surprised that Nvidia still haven't fixed this.

You should be able to fix this issue just by changing the color format from the default RGB value to YCbCr444, no?

post-4302-0-82069700-1418797431.png

My PC specifications are in my profile.

You should be able to fix this issue just by changing the color format from the default RGB value to YCbCr444, no?

attachicon.gifColorAdjust.png

yCbCr444 uses the 16-235 colour space, I find tht the RGB setting outputs 0-255 to my TV and I get crushed blacks, so I use yCbCr444 to solve it.

The above posts, with the switching of 'video colour settings' affects only the playback of video and doesn't do anything to the desktop with my card.

This fix only works for video playback. The original registry based fix applies for everything including games. I did it yesterday and was jaw dropped. My desktop wallpaper is that of a Red Ferrari and also I have a Red theme in W8. It used to appear somewhat pinkish early but after applying the fix it was perfect red. Especially now I can even see the brake discs inside the alloys clearly. In game like FC4 Vegetation appears much better. The fix is just 8 KB download and it just changes some registry values and then restart. Boom !

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

The working link to the fix :

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

I thought I had this on my monitor and never noticed but using that test, it looks like it's fine on my setup and I'm using an hdmi to dvi cable so that's weird. Not sure what's happening here. 

I'm using a TV so the fix won't change anything for me right ? 

One thing I wish they fixed with the HDMI is the way they detect audio. All my things are plugged to my TV and then I run a single optical cable from the TV to my home theater. Everything works fine except my PC which detects the 2 speakers of my TV so it only output stereo instead of 5.1... Didn't find a way to force it.  

I'm glad I'm now using DVI lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs