Why does Razer have a bad rep?

yourdad165

I'm starting to get Razer related ads with all the Razer topics Ive been posting on.

Lol

Blatant fanboyism. Your name is fitting too, do you also enjoy trolling? You realize you can multiquote, right?

@yourdad165

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Razer's products seem to be a hit-or-miss sort of deal. I have a deathadder that I've had for ~3 years and it's fine. However, lots of other people have reported double-clicking in as few as 3 months after purchase. The Razer Blade seems like an amazing product, but the Blackwidow does not. My cousin, has gone through 3 of Blackwidows (stealth, tournament, and cherry mx stealth) and all of them have broken on him. It kinda build down to luck of the draw. Either you get a working product, or you don't. Thats why IMO Razer gets a lot of flak. You are paying a high premium for their stuff, so you expect it to arrive in perfect working condition. So when people get a $150 keyboard with a dead LED in the mail, naturally they will be frustrated. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

The Deathadder is a great mouse, I have a Naga but people love the Deathadder. It's a good fast mouse to use for FPS games.

Ya I love it I can't handle a low dpi just because I'm so used to my mouse going across the screen with a flick of the wrist. The Naga just has too many buttons for me but I'm sure it's good if you play mmos.

I think the issue is that they claim and are priced at higher quality than they actually are, so when the stuff breaks like it's a third party N64 controller, people get mad.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm pretty sure most of the people that complain about Razer products haven't used them. I have the 2012 deathadder and use it daily since I got it. I also have a 2013 deathadder that I use daily. I have a naga hex that I don't really like the layout, but I bought it refurbished and I use it on my raspberry pi. Then I have the Orochi I carry with me at all times to use on other systems/laptop.  Never had an issue with any of those. The one product I did have an issue with had a bad wifi card and bad ram and was replaced immediately. 

I think a lot of the hate is on the same level of hate that apple gets. So many people bitch about Apple products and yet have never used a single one. 

You sound like a razer fanboy...but I will state my opinion anyway:

Razer is similar to apple, where they spend a lot of money on marketing to get their brand name out instead of paying for high quality products and customer service.

A lot of their stuff has 'issues' such as sensor malfunctions, double keypresses on keyboards, etc...

Obviously not everyone will have the issues, but they could spend less money on marketing and more money on higher quality components, maybe not all made in china.

Also note that linus said the colour transitioning on their RGB keyboard is not as smooth as it is on the corsair RGB.

Cosidering the fact that the corsair RGB only has 512 colours I would not like the know what kind of crap razer used.

I know I look and sound like a Razer fanboy. However believe me when it comes to PC stuff I'm all about the specs. I agree, Razer is all about marketing. However they're like Apple. I think apple stuff has a user friendly interface that I'm willing to sacrifice some specs for the ease of use of an ipad over an android tablet. It's about what you prefer after all.

I love my ipad, I like my Razer products.

However I'm also able to criticize my stuff too. No company's product is ever perfect.

Razer - sacrifices build quality for marketing and ease of use.

Corsair - spends too much time on build quality and marketing, and releases too quickly with poor software.

EVGA graphics cards - fast clock speeds, my reference cooler gets hot.

My Corsair 750 watt PSU - great warranty, good performance, coil whines like crazy though.

You know what I mean? Another short rant xD

Because they spend more money on marketing instead of focusing on quality. They cater to people that like gimmicky products; ie, fancy leds, chroma line etc.

Lol wut. Are you talking about Corsair here? 

Blatant fanboyism. Your name is fitting too, do you also enjoy trolling? You realize you can multiquote, right?

@yourdad165

Sorry, and I told you I'm not being a fanboy. I genuinely like their products. However I like other product from other companies too.

Like AMD and Intel, they're both good. it just matters what you want to do on your PC. Both can game and video edit, only one outperforms the other for each.

Read the topic again.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

We'll Corsair kind of did the same thing, their products are high quality. They just released it too quickly, and their software was rushed. Luckily updates can fix it though.

Lrn2understand sarcasm. 

By typing stuff out, it's impossible to gauge if someone is being sarcastic or not. You should know this. It's not like we're having a face to face conversation.

I like the naga the quality isnt that great (feels cheap) but have had it for a little over a year and it fits perfect for my hand i use the side buttons for WoW but since i havent found anything close to it if it comes down to it probably buy another if this one breaks or a Corsair m95 if they come out with RGB

I'm pretty sure most of the people that complain about Razer products haven't used them. I have the 2012 deathadder and use it daily since I got it. I also have a 2013 deathadder that I use daily. I have a naga hex that I don't really like the layout, but I bought it refurbished and I use it on my raspberry pi. Then I have the Orochi I carry with me at all times to use on other systems/laptop.  Never had an issue with any of those. The one product I did have an issue with had a bad wifi card and bad ram and was replaced immediately. 

I think a lot of the hate is on the same level of hate that apple gets. So many people bitch about Apple products and yet have never used a single one.

Thank you for pointing that out, it's true. A lot of people want to be able to say their product is the best and here is why. However two products can be equal. For example, both the Logitech g600 and the Razer Naga are good mice. Is one better? No, each one has something unique about it that makes it appealing for people that want that specific feature.

so wait u guys are mad cause they spend alot on marketing? rather then build quality?? do u guys have proof that there shit breaks faster then other brands? 

I like the naga the quality isnt that great (feels cheap) but have had it for a little over a year and it fits perfect for my hand i use the side buttons for WoW but since i havent found anything close to it if it comes down to it probably buy another if this one breaks or a Corsair m95 if they come out with RGB

See you're not bias to a specific product. If your Naga breaks, you're willing to try something else. As am I, if mine breaks I'm going to try the Logitech g600.

I know I look and sound like a Razer fanboy. However believe me when it comes to PC stuff I'm all about the specs. I agree, Razer is all about marketing. However they're like Apple. I think apple stuff has a user friendly interface that I'm willing to sacrifice some specs for the ease of use of an ipad over an android tablet. It's about what you prefer after all.

I love my ipad, I like my Razer products.

However I'm also able to criticize my stuff too. No company's product is ever perfect.

Razer - sacrifices build quality for marketing and ease of use.

Corsair - spends too much time on build quality and marketing, and releases too quickly with poor software.

EVGA graphics cards - fast clock speeds, my reference cooler gets hot.

My Corsair 750 watt PSU - great warranty, good performance, coil whines like crazy though.

You know what I mean? Another short rant xD

Yeah I understand. Every company has their pluses and drawbacks. Personally I prefer non-overhyped product branding, and more elegance and little marketing.

I do think the razer blade laptops are really nice though. Good design, but definitely overpriced for the hardware, but you're paying for the design, like apple.

Most of the other razer products I wouldnt buy though, I have different aesthetic preferences.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

so wait u guys are mad cause they spend alot on marketing? rather then build quality?? do u guys have proof that there shit breaks faster then other brands?

Yeah we should find some statistics based on RMA requests for specific products of each company. While keeping in mind sales. Razer may sell more than Corsair which might mean more RMAs just becuase the chance of the product breaking remains the same but as the sales increase so do the RMAs.

Yeah I understand. Every company has their pluses and drawbacks. Personally I prefer non-overhyped product branding, and more elegance and little marketing.

I do think the razer blade laptops are really nice though. Good design, but definitely overpriced for the hardware, but you're paying for the design, like apple.

Yeah I agree, the Razer blades are nice. Even Linus says it's his favourite gaming laptop. About non-hyped hardware, are you referring to Ducky keyboards perhaps? I heard they're good build quality.

My experience with Razer products so far suggests that they are basically

110% branding and -10% product.

I liked my Deathadder 2013. But then it done and did the die thing. :(

Did you try getting an RMA or contacting Razer? Or was it too late?

Yeah I agree, the Razer blades are nice. Even Linus says it's his favourite gaming laptop. About non-hyped hardware, are you referring to Ducky keyboards perhaps? I heard they're good build quality.

Yeah something like that. But what really matters to me is the looks or performance.

I bought an S340 because it was simple and elegant, not because it was advertised or had cool lights and features.

I guess some people like green lights or the razer logo too though...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There's quite a large sample size. There's plenty of people on youtube providing proof in this particular case. For example, a company like zowie spends less money on packaging/marketing. Instead, they focus on build quality and sensor quality.

There's a reason lots of people recommend zowie. Put two and two together and figure it out yourself.

Did you try getting an RMA or contacting Razer? Or was it too late?

At that point I was already displeased enough with the experience of owning

and using the mouse. I decided to take it back to the store I bought it and

request an exchange for another product - as a result I now have a Corsair

Vengeance M65 mouse.

In the end, my determination was that the mouse itself was very poor. The

buttons were altogether far too easy to activate and in the end proved to

be too delicate for extended use, the plastics used for the mouse's casing

were far too cheap-feeling and easy to mark and scratch, and the sensor

proved to be unreliable. My experience may have been nothing more or

less than an unlucky one, but for me personally it was bad enough to

make me stick to Logitech from now on.

I will say however - the one saving grace for Razer in my opinion

surprisingly is their software. I have found so far that Razer Synapse is

simply superior to other applications from the likes of Logitech and Corsair.

Especially when it comes to setting up macros - I miss how easy it was to

set up and edit macro functions on my Deathadder...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff