Microsoft’s Windows 10 has permission to watch your every move

ZacDaMan72

I will actually be testing this out on my main system once my exams get over on the 11th. I am a surround user and even on Windows 7, some of the stuff remained broken until a few months ago. If I can help with a smoother deployment for users like myself, I will really not mind that. :) PS- Does anyone know after how much time is the TP getting over?

The time of expiry will be extended or shorten as updates are released. So it it hard to know.

But usually, once Windows is out on store shelves, you have a few months to go and get buy it.

And if you ask, yes, you'll need to clean install it once the official version is released, you can't upgrade it. Unless things change, this is how it has always been. beside, why you want to keep buggy stuff and debug code? Start fresh for the best experience.

I will actually be testing this out on my main system once my exams get over on the 11th. I am a surround user and even on Windows 7, some of the stuff remained broken until a few months ago. If I can help with a smoother deployment for users like myself, I will really not mind that. :) PS- Does anyone know after how much time is the TP getting over?

officially in the TOS it says February 2015 for the end of the license, but like @GoodBytes said they will likely extend it or reduce it as needed.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Its fine i guess 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

The time of expiry will be extended or shorten as updates are released. So it it hard to know.

But usually, once Windows is out on store shelves, you have a few months to go and get buy it.

And if you ask, yes, you'll need to clean install it once the official version is released, you can't upgrade it. Unless things change, this is how it has always been. beside, why you want to keep buggy stuff and debug code? Start fresh for the best experience.

I remember reading this somewhere but W10 will be free for W8 users right? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

That was win9. Everything might be thrown out the window now that it's win10.

That was win9. Everything might be thrown out the window now that it's win10.

But i had safety net outside the window..........hopefully it isn't damaged.

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

No. Only rumors, and speculations. They are always these big claims at every version of Windows preview.

I recall, Vista being free or discount for Vista beta users, that obviously didn't happen. Windows 7 is free for beta testers and those with Vista, that didn't happen.

Windows 8 to be free for everyone due to the store, that didn't happen.

So chances that Windows 10 is free to anyone, is highly unlikely (beside MSDNAA/Dreamspark Premium users, and all that)

No. Only rumors, and speculations. They are always these big claims at every version of Windows preview.

I recall, Vista being free or discount for Vista users, that obviously didn't happen. Windows 7 is free for beta testers and those with Vista, that didn't happen.

Windows 8 to be free for everyone due to teh store, that didn't happen.

So chances that Windows 10 is free to anyone, is highly unlikely (beside MSDNAA/Dreamspark Premium users, and all that)

oooh man

thanks for the info  :)

I was looking forward to that......

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

oooh man

thanks for the info  :)

I was looking forward to that......

What is expected (again nothing mentioned by Microsoft) is an introductory price for Windows 10 when officially released.

- Windows 7 was 50-60% off depending on the edition you get. Also, you had 3 licenses for a household for 150$. So, 50$ each.

- Windows 8 Pro with Media Center add-on was 40$ or 30$ depending on where you lived.

A correction on what I said. Windows 7 Starter Edition, and Windows 8.1 (on devices that is 9inch or smaller) is/was free. But that applies to Microsoft partner manufactures (So, the big guys: HP, Dell, Acer, etc.), so that they can sell the systems cheaply at competitive pricing. Windows 8.1 that was free was full featured non-Pro Windows 8.1. The only requirement is that they don't change the default web browser, nor change the default page of IE (normally, manufacture never do it, any case). Windows 7 Starter, you cold not change the background.

I have to say to amount of stuff I had to put in, email add capture and the lot when installing was ridiculous, but I agree that for what this is (basically an early access) it makes sense that they collect all they can that would make bug-reporting a lot easier.

What really surprised me though is that you can just download the thing and there's no line saying "don't use this as a primary platform" as far as I could see. What I mean is the download page should tell you to only use this in a VM and if you don't know what that means leave it alone!

Well just don't play with it expecting anything solid yet, but I'm repeating what's already been established by other members here.

Just a point of contention with that statement. The Technical Preview is for Power Users, Developers, and IT professionals.

It says so right there on the Windows Insider Program website before you download anything:

Join us as we build Windows 10
If you're a PC expert or an IT pro, come on a journey with us and be part of creating the best Windows yet.

This preview isn't for regular folks. Anyone who downloads this should already know to use a VM or to use it on a secondary machine for testing purposes only.

I don't understand why people would use an ALPHA as their daily driver, or act like this is the release version.

This is a non-issue. It's great that people are raising awareness about privacy, but if anyone had bothered to read the EULA or any of the documentation for the Windows 10 Tech Preview - well, they would know all of this already, now wouldn't they?

Also FYI Your email is entirely optional. You don't need to create a Microsoft Account. Just like in Windows 8, you can create a local account.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have to say to amount of stuff I had to put in, email add capture and the lot when installing was ridiculous, but I agree that for what this is (basically an early access) it makes sense that they collect all they can that would make bug-reporting a lot easier.

What really surprised me though is that you can just download the thing and there's no line saying "don't use this as a primary platform" as far as I could see. What I mean is the download page should tell you to only use this in a VM and if you don't know what that means leave it alone!

Well just don't play with it expecting anything solid yet, but I'm repeating what's already been established by other members here.

Download and install the preview only if you

• Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

• Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

• Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

• Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

• Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab0

Nope, not even. It's more like an Alpha we won't see a Beta until next year.

By definition, Alpha testing is internal, Beta testing is external (regular users, developers, etc). This is a beta. Regardless of how "finished" a product is. A product isn't finished upon launch either. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If you're fine with them having all your info, by all means use it.  If you're not, just don't install it.  Simple as that.

There will always be someone who comes up with some tool to disable stuff like that keylogger if it should make it to the final version.  In the meantime, don't use Win10 for anything you consider private. 

As for passwords, you can always type everything except for one of the characters, then use the mouse to move your cursor to the right spot and enter it.  The keylogger will then think that your password is "passordw"

(of course in that example it's easy to figure out, but people really shouldn't use names or existing words as a password anyway)

windows-10-840x420-695x336.jpg
Windows 10 Technical Preview

Microsoft launched its Windows 10 on Tuesday and is giving all members of its Windows Insider Programme a free look see at the new Windows 10.  Microsoft is giving the Windows 10 Technical Preview version as a gesture of openness and willingness to collaborate with developers and users and get their feedback on the ultimate Windows 10 that it may launch by the end of this year.

Backdoor?

As more and more users are jumping the queue to download the Windows 10 through the Windows Insider Program, almost all of them have forgotten to check the Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions users accept while downloading the Windows 10.  If you study the privacy policy you will be startled at the amount of freedom you are giving Microsoft to spy on you.

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

The above stuff may or may not be used against any user and forms the standard of any privacy policy by any Applications maker but study a bit further and you may get more and more surprised.  In a way by accepting the Windows 10 Technical Preview installation you are giving Microsoft unhindered access to your behavioural habits

“We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

In simple words, Windows 10 Technical Preview is a collecting your voice, your chats, and your voice.  Albeit it is doing so with your permission.  The Privacy Policy also goes on to deliver further shocks.

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

The above said input recording methods are a classic keylogger malware features.  In absolute terms you are giving permission for Microsoft to screen your files and keep a log of your keyboard and other inputs.  Renowned Windows blogger Mary Jo Foley recently said, “I’ve heard Microsoft built a new real-time telemetry system codenamed ‘Asimov’ (yes, another Halo-influenced codename) that lets the OS team see in near real-time what’s happening on users’ machines.”

Microsoft has not yet commented on what it do with all the data it will generate from all the Windows 10 Technical Preview users but you are definitely signing on a spyware when you install the Windows 10 on your machine.

Users rarely read the EULA / Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions.

It is a fact that 99 people out of 100 users downloading and installing a software rarely read the EULA / Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions.  To prove this F-Secure, the security blog made a fascinating discovery on how exactly people react to the really dumb privacy policy.  Their second objective was to research on whether people would really sign up for a private open WiFi

They asked Finn Steglich of the German penetration testing company, SySS, to build a WiFi hotspot, take it out on the streets of London, and set it up and wait for folks to connect. With the free service they put up a very outlandish T & C which every user willing to use this free WiFi would have accept. F-Secure blog notes that,

“One of the terms stipulated that the user must give up their firstborn child or most beloved pet in exchange for WiFi use. In the short time the T&C page was active, six people agreed to the outlandish clause."

herod_clause.png

The F-Secure experiment proves that humans are fallible to free goodies and would sign up for almost anything once they come to know it is free.  Though F-Secure would never take your first born child or your beloved pet, but technically you did be required to hand over the same once you sign up for the free WiFi.

Ditto for Windows 10 Technical Preview.  Once you sign up for the free download, there is no stopping Microsoft from using your chats, voice scans and other details though it may never use them.  But you have accepted and let them use it!!!

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Ain't nothing new. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

But the question is will that data be collected when it goes to full release and is not a trial/preview for QA purposes?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I want to see an explanation for this. An actual explanation. If they make the argument that it can help them produce a better product then I'll take a lesser product for the sake of my privacy.

This is a test build. This isn't released for people to play with. It is essentially a test. They are tracking to fix bugs. The keylogger is excessive, but the rest makes sense.

This probably won't make it to release. 

Meh. They were gonna get it sooner or later anyway.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

windows-10-840x420-695x336.jpg
Windows 10 Technical Preview

Microsoft launched its Windows 10 on Tuesday and is giving all members of its Windows Insider Programme a free look see at the new Windows 10.  Microsoft is giving the Windows 10 Technical Preview version as a gesture of openness and willingness to collaborate with developers and users and get their feedback on the ultimate Windows 10 that it may launch by the end of this year.

Backdoor?

As more and more users are jumping the queue to download the Windows 10 through the Windows Insider Program, almost all of them have forgotten to check the Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions users accept while downloading the Windows 10.  If you study the privacy policy you will be startled at the amount of freedom you are giving Microsoft to spy on you.

The above stuff may or may not be used against any user and forms the standard of any privacy policy by any Applications maker but study a bit further and you may get more and more surprised.  In a way by accepting the Windows 10 Technical Preview installation you are giving Microsoft unhindered access to your behavioural habits

In simple words, Windows 10 Technical Preview is a collecting your voice, your chats, and your voice.  Albeit it is doing so with your permission.  The Privacy Policy also goes on to deliver further shocks.

The above said input recording methods are a classic keylogger malware features.  In absolute terms you are giving permission for Microsoft to screen your files and keep a log of your keyboard and other inputs.  Renowned Windows blogger Mary Jo Foley recently said, “I’ve heard Microsoft built a new real-time telemetry system codenamed ‘Asimov’ (yes, another Halo-influenced codename) that lets the OS team see in near real-time what’s happening on users’ machines.”

Microsoft has not yet commented on what it do with all the data it will generate from all the Windows 10 Technical Preview users but you are definitely signing on a spyware when you install the Windows 10 on your machine.

Users rarely read the EULA / Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions.

It is a fact that 99 people out of 100 users downloading and installing a software rarely read the EULA / Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions.  To prove this F-Secure, the security blog made a fascinating discovery on how exactly people react to the really dumb privacy policy.  Their second objective was to research on whether people would really sign up for a private open WiFi

They asked Finn Steglich of the German penetration testing company, SySS, to build a WiFi hotspot, take it out on the streets of London, and set it up and wait for folks to connect. With the free service they put up a very outlandish T & C which every user willing to use this free WiFi would have accept. F-Secure blog notes that,

herod_clause.png

The F-Secure experiment proves that humans are fallible to free goodies and would sign up for almost anything once they come to know it is free.  Though F-Secure would never take your first born child or your beloved pet, but technically you did be required to hand over the same once you sign up for the free WiFi.

Ditto for Windows 10 Technical Preview.  Once you sign up for the free download, there is no stopping Microsoft from using your chats, voice scans and other details though it may never use them.  But you have accepted and let them use it!!!

protip: all proprietary software could do this.

Windows is probably full of backdoors and deliberate "bugs".

privacy is not a thing on the internet

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

if you are paranoid about Microsoft collecting your data and using it, you should not even be using Windows, period. Read through their windows services privacy statement on how they collect and use your data. TP is not much different in what permissions you actually give Microsoft when you install and use any version of windows.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If this is kept to the actual release, then it's linux everywhere for me. I won't even care about the games. I'd rather not give MS every fucking password -.-

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

If this is kept to the actual release, then it's linux everywhere for me. I won't even care about the games. I'd rather not give MS every fucking password -.-

It won't be...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Edit: THIS IS TO RAISE AWARENESS, PEOPLE.

https://insider.windows.com/Home/TermsOfUse read section 2

you didn't raise awareness, its on their ToS, its public knowledge, its openly stated by them they will collect as much data as possible, i'm only quoting you because of your edit, and because there's no reason to make a scandal out of this, a keylogger is the best way they can collect data about people using keyboard shortcuts and usage, its probably off when you ain't using non windows programs and stuff like email and password because these days whit govs snooping on you for whatever reason, companies are trying to collects as less data as possible, unless your google which lives on it, also if your going tin foil hat about your privacy then use a linux distro and stay away from google as much as possible

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here