Elevator into space: Japanese firm determined to proceed with bold engineering project

Ethnod

An elevator to space, this has been a subject of discussion for almost a decade now. There have been many theories, possibly the strongest one was the one of constructing a ribbon of carbon nanotubes into space and using a station at the top as a counterweight.

Here is Michio Kaku on this subject:

Turns out that Japanese construction giant Obayashi are no longer just talking but in the planning phase. Obayashi talked about this some years ago but now is letting everyone know that they will have an operational elevator by 2050, incredible.

obayashi-space-elevator-970x0.jpg

In fairness with all the talk of Space exploration, Mars and so on an Elevator makes sense in the long run. If you could bring up heavy cargo multiple times a day over and over day after day the potential for construction in space would be transformed (although they are estimating that it will take days for each journey atm). Space stations, habitats, ships and more. Maybe even solar energy being pumped back down via the ribbon.

The main barrier at the moment is the carbon nanotubes themselves, at the moment they can only make a few centimetres but they estimate that by 2030 that will no longer be an issue.

Man finally space is getting exciting again and its possible that even I will get to space before I die :)

Source:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/japan-firm-continues-with-plan-build-elevator-into-space/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

New-Mombasa-Orbital-elevator-ODST-Concep

Immediately thought of this. The space tether from Halo.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Gundam 00 is happening!!

This can be a potential start of non-atmospheric solar farming... Imagine the amount of power you can harvest by deploying huge numbers of solar panels around that thing...

This is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen

They should invest their time and money into more accessible space flight

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

space is fascinating, but i am ok here

They should invest their time and money into more accessible space flight simulators

fixed

It's possible, you just need to catch a big asteroid in space and figure out the materials to build the thing from... graphene anyone..?

Let's figure out fusion first then we will maybe have enough energy to move on with projects like these.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's possible, you just need to catch a big asteroid in space and figure out the materials to build the thing from... graphene anyone..?

Let's figure out fusion first then we will maybe have enough energy to move on with projects like these.

Some say we might :D

http://keshefoundation.org/

What is there solution against meteor and space trash that could damage the ribbon??

And what about putting this money into helping some low country that has problem surviving? creating schools in Africa and India?? And ....I could on and on. but all of this is just some more Commande and Conquer.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Some say we might :D

http://keshefoundation.org/

I saw pope on that page and it immediatelly lost all credibility to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

This is much more interesting.

What is there solution against meteor and space trash that could damage the ribbon??

And what about putting this money into helping some low country that has problem surviving? creating schools in Africa and India?? And ....I could on and on. but all of this is just some more Commande and Conquer.

By the time we have materials to build this space trash will be gone.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I would ask them why would they even consider such a project but I'm pretty sure they are too high from all the money they have been smoking to answer.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

What happens when debris or something gets caught in our gravity and smashes the elevator? 

This is the silliest waste of money and human capital.

By the time we have materials to build this space trash will be gone.

How?? This civilization is trashing a lot, like really too much. We even release trash in space so.... And to do what?? a shitty society there too? with poor school and drugs or else? fix that one first, PLEASE!!!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

WHAT?!?! The point of this is to reduce the overall cost with a large investment upfront. The potential is amazing if large and extremely heavy objects and material can be lifted into space.

The ISS (International Space Station) was started in 1998 and is still not finished. It weighs over 450 tonnes and and is the size of a football pitch. The ISS is still under construction, taking into account that there has been a shuttle launched to it a minimum of every 6 month since 1998 and its still not finished.

The point of a project like this would be that good, heavy and bulky, could go up at a fraction of the cost, potentially being powered by a solar array outside of the earth's atmosphere. If we could move good up and down every few days we could have build the ISS years ago and potentially be living up there now.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

How?? This civilization is trashing a lot, like really too much. We even release trash in space so.... And to do what?? a shitty society there too? with poor school and drugs or else? fix that one first, PLEASE!!!

We don't "release" trash into space, it's stuck there mostly from failed experiments and tech that had no plan to fall down and burn up in the atmosphere, now we don't bring stuff up there if we don't have a way to bring it down too and it's not even that bad, it's mostly very tiny pieces. 

Society is shit because of many reasons, doesn't mean we have to stop all research. We HAVE to research or our lives will be wasted.

WHAT?!?! The point of this is to reduce the overall cost with a large investment upfront. The potential is amazing if large and extremely heavy objects and material can be lifted into space.

The ISS (International Space Station) was started in 1998 and is still not finished. It weighs over 450 tonnes and and is the size of a football pitch. The ISS is still under construction, taking into account that there has been a shuttle launched to it a minimum of every 6 month since 1998 and its still not finished.

The point of a project like this would be that good, heavy and bulky, could go up at a fraction of the cost, potentially being powered by a solar array outside of the earth's atmosphere. If we could move good up and down every few days we could have build the ISS years ago and potentially be living up there now.

The new rocket that NASA is developing looks like it could fill the gap till this technology comes too, because it's way more powerful than anything we had before and not too expensive to use.

They even have plans that the 3rd revision of that rocket could bring people to mars without accelerating around the earth which would be insane.

Spoiler

We don't "release" trash into space, it's stuck there mostly from failed experiments and tech that had no plan to fall down and burn up in the atmosphere, now we don't bring stuff up there if we don't have a way to bring it down too and it's not even that bad, it's mostly very tiny pieces. 

Society is shit because of many reasons, doesn't mean we have to stop all research. We HAVE to research or our lives will be wasted.

Yes, but they could put some of their money into project that actually brings resultas towards helping other people. I don't see a lot of, "This rich dude gave that amount of money to create 200 schools to that country"... that's just sad cause a lot of guys could do it.

That's all. Future project is good, don't take me wrong. I am happy with it.

I'm not sure even where to start with this one...

Does the elevator goes somewhere or just stay stationnary in space??

Gundam 00 is happening!!

This can be a potential start of non-atmospheric solar farming... Imagine the amount of power you can harvest by deploying huge numbers of solar panels around that thing...

happening? it's already happened. Japan has had Mechs for decades, they just haven't told the rest of us about them yet because they don't want to make us feel stupid because we thought our dinky little drone things were high tech.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

hmm the idea isnt bad, but even google X dropped it since there wasnt a metal wich allowed this(density and mass it could hold combnation problem)

I know Michio Kaku and he is pretty smart, but the down point is that all he comes with is theoretical, like those spaceships in that discovery series(forgot the name) it sounds nice and all, but in the end it is nearly impossible in practise.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Yes, but they could put some of their money into project that actually brings resultas towards helping other people. I don't see a lot of, "This rich dude gave that amount of money to create 200 schools to that country"... that's just sad cause a lot of guys could do it.

That's all. Future project is good, don't take me wrong. I am happy with it.

Oh please, we put money all over the place in donation forms it just almost never goes to those projects because of corruption and rich people still keep trying to donate.

Maybe one day corrupted people will realise that they can't bring money with them after they die.

Society also gives money to catholic church even though Vatican has more money than it would need for like 20 years.

hmm the idea isnt bad, but even google X dropped it since there wasnt a metal wich allowed this.

I know Michio Kaku and he is pretty smart, but the down point is that all he comes with is theoretical, like those spaceships in that discovery series(forgot the name) it sounds nice and all, but in the end it is nearly impossible in practise.

Metal no, carbon can still theoretically hold up to this.

Does the elevator goes somewhere or just stay stationnary in space??

The top part of elevator should remain straight above earth at all times and then we could lift the loads up to space without rockets or spaceships (which don't really exist yet)

Spoiler

Oh please, we put money all over the place in donation forms it just almost never goes to those projects because of corruption and rich people still keep trying to donate.

Maybe one day corrupted people will realise that they can't bring money with them after they die.

Society also gives money to catholic church even though Vatican has more money than it would need for like 20 years.

That's exactly what I am saying. We don't see anybody doing so.

I know a guy in India that adopted more than 600 kids to take them out of Child Prostitution and organ traffic, plus that he created several schools (free) for the kids and the parents. That persons exist and we should support them.

I like how everyone is like "well how are they going to solve this ..... ? this is so stupid since they can't solve this.....". Really? have we come to rejecting a project because it needs to solve some problems first?

That's exactly what I am saying. We don't see anybody doing so.

I know a guy in India that adopted more than 600 kids to take them out of Child Prostitution and organ traffic, plus that he created several schools (free) for the kids and the parents. That persons exist and we should support them.

We are still too much monkey to start caring about orthers. The whole mentality has to change. Look at Russia, it's going backwards now so...

Spoiler

What I mean is:

If we had shuttle that was safer, easier and cheaper to fly up, then we could transport people and goods in a much faster easier fashion than a space lift

I doubt that in 15 years we will have perfected carbon nanotubes to the point we can create a whole super structure out of them, besides there are other complications that can make this nearly impossible

I remember watching this, showing that a structure that tall would feel a rotational force and it would not just sit there... its pretty impractical to build a lift all the way to the ISS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii