GameCrate's Senior Editor Nick Scibetta Disapproves of the Label "PC Master Race"

AlexTechFix

...Why do you take a joke so seriously?

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

What I find interesting is that the "pc master race" seems to have replaced people with considered opinions on forums like these, just look at any console related thread and you can find at least a couple of one line response that only contain a reference to the master race.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Does he also happen to wear a fedora?

Seriously though, it's like if someone said "Brazil has the best football team, everyone else sucks nuts! BRAZILFOOTBALLMASTERRACE!" and then some jackass like this goes and complains that "It’s offensive: It should go without saying, but the phrase “master race” is inextricably tied into Nazi ideology." and "It misses the point: I’m sure there are many Brazil Football advocates out there who will say they don’t personally find the term “master race” offensive and so don’t see the problem with it, but I would hope that those same advocates care about the strength and accuracy of their chosen label. “Glorious Brazil Football Master Race” completely misses the point of what it means to be a dedicated Brazil fan.", and expects everyone to take him seriously.
If anything, if this wasn't posted an a proper site, I'd feel inclined to take this as shitposting from someone just trying to piss others off.

See, I can totally do the football thing. I'm practically a sports fan now.
#brazilmasterrace #youseewhatIdidthere #topical 

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I am so damn sick of over-sensitive political correctness zombies telling people how to live their lives. Who the hell is he to tell us what we can and can't say? This dude obviously has a ludicrously high opinion of himself and he needs to educate us lower beings for using Nazi lingo.

This guy has no sense of humor.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I think the whole "PC Master race" is stupid and immature tbh. It started off as a joke, but now everyone takes it seriously, it's tarnishing the reputation of pc gamers. The whole mentality that somehow people who don't own a gaming pc are inferior is ridiculous . The only console I own is a WiiU (for mario kart and SSB), but i'm fed up of the idiots that genuinely think that they're superior to every console owner.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

urgh

this guy is ultra sensitive and taking this too seriously rofl .....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Denying the connection of the term "master race" to Nazi ideoligy surprised me...
The term was used by the Nazis to describe the "true german people" as "deutsche Herrenrasse" .

I think it is very important that we are all aware of what terms we are using and what meaning they might imply.

Of course it can be used as a joke a few times, but in this case it got way out of hand and I am not sure, that everyone reffering to the PCMR knows the historical background and the weight of the words he uses, or even that the whole thing is just a joke.

Maybe I am a bit more sensitive about this because I am from Germany but I honestly don't think that we should play down the meaning of these words.

I don't necessarily whant the whole PCMR to disappear completely as long as everyone knows, what it is about.

Cheers

Denying the connection of the term "master race" to Nazi ideoligy surprised me...

The term was used by the Nazis to describe the "true german people" as "deutsche Herrenrasse" .

I think it is very important that we are all aware of what terms we are using and what meaning they might imply.

Of course it can be used as a joke a few times, but in this case it got way out of hand and I am not sure, that everyone reffering to the PCMR knows the historical background and the weight of the words he uses, or even that the whole thing is just a joke.

Maybe I am a bit more sensitive about this because I am from Germany but I honestly don't think that we should play down the meaning of these words.

I don't necessarily whant the whole PCMR to disappear completely as long as everyone knows, what it is about.

Cheers

I don't think people are denying the term was used by the nazi's.  It's that the term is much older than the nazi's and shouldn't be soley associted with just the nazi's, that's just stupid.  They were not the ones that created that term, they were just using it like many others have.

I completely agree with him.

It's an elitist and annoying term. It stopped being a joke a long time ago. There are particular words in the English language which were once considered commonplace and entirely acceptable... words used to refer to particular groups of people. The way in which those words were used were deplorable, and as a result the words themselves became synonymous with the disgusting acts of the time.

Obviously the PC Gaming Master Race is not comparable to that, but I'm using it to prove a point - it doesn't matter how acceptable the term once was. As a result of the way in which it has been used throughout the years and the frequency of its use as a weapon against console users it has become an unacceptable term. At best it's an indication of one's immaturity and naivety, at worst it exemplifies everything that's wrong with the PC gaming community. Elitist, arrogant, argumentative, ignorant and obscenely egocentric.

I agree with him and have stated that on multiple occasions on this forum.

He went too far. People need to understand that this is a joke for us, and to not take us too seriously and assume we are being offensive just because the way the joke happens to be worded.

Problem is not only do others not know not to take this seriously many within the PC gaming community do take it seriously. Those people are also usually those new(er) to the scene.

I think the whole "PC Master race" is stupid and immature tbh. It started off as a joke, but now everyone takes it seriously, it's tarnishing the reputation of pc gamers. The whole mentality that somehow people who don't own a gaming pc are inferior is ridiculous . The only console I own is a WiiU (for mario kart and SSB), but i'm fed up of the idiots that genuinely think that they're superior to every console owner.

Hey man there's more to the Wii U than those, mines already full ;)

I don't think people are denying the term was used by the nazi's. It's that the term is much older than the nazi's and shouldn't be soley associted with just the nazi's, that's just stupid. They were not the ones that created that term, they were just using it like many others have.

There are plenty of thing like that and it doesn't mean it doest stick to something it didn't originate from. Whatever has the most pull is what its going to be associated with.

I completely agree with him.

It's an elitist and annoying term. It stopped being a joke a long time ago. There are particular words in the English language which were once considered commonplace and entirely acceptable... words used to refer to particular groups of people. The way in which those words were used were deplorable, and as a result the words themselves became synonymous with the disgusting acts of the time.

Obviously the PC Gaming Master Race is not comparable to that, but I'm using it to prove a point - it doesn't matter how acceptable the term once was. As a result of the way in which it has been used throughout the years and the frequency of its use as a weapon against console users it has become an unacceptable term. At best it's an indication of one's immaturity and naivety, at worst it exemplifies everything that's wrong with the PC gaming community. Elitist, arrogant, argumentative, ignorant and obscenely egocentric.

Can't give you two likes so I thought I'd quote your post, especially for the second paragraph.

I don't think people are denying the term was used by the nazi's.  It's that the term is much older than the nazi's and shouldn't be soley associted with just the nazi's, that's just stupid.  They were not the ones that created that term, they were just using it like many others have.

association is a major part of language, if that's where the association is then the fact it originated elsewhere is irrelevant. Case in point is the word C**T, it is a legitimate word that refers to a hole/knot in a tree, but just try using it without offending people.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

association is a major part of language, if that's where the association is then the fact it originated elsewhere is irrelevant. Case in point is the word C**T, it is a legitimate word that refers to a hole/knot in a tree, but just try using it without offending people.

You sir did a better job than I explaining this and I commend you for it.

I'm not a huge fan of "stuff associated with Nazis" being a taboo. They are never going to be approved again if we treat them like some special things.

Same goes for not joking about for example other cultures. If you tell your kids you can't joke about them, they're never going to look at those cultures normally.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If you tell your kids you can't joke about them, they're never going to look at those cultures normally.

They're also not going to see them in a serious light.   Language is about interpretation as much as it is about intention,  If we don't consider how people will interpret what we say then we aren't being very thoughtful or respectful of them.

EDIT: in fact if we don't consider how people might interpret what we are saying then we may as well not say it because the meaning will be lost in the interpretation. 

They're also not going to see them in a serious light.   Language is about interpretation as much as it is about intention,  If we don't consider how people will interpret what we say then we aren't being very thoughtful or respectful of them.

EDIT: in fact if we don't consider how people might interpret what we are saying then we may as well not say it because the meaning will be lost in the interpretation.

That is true, but I didn't exactly mean it like that.

In Finland it's a joke that Swedes are all a bit too happy, if you catch my drift. Nobody takes it seriously and Swedes are just people who live next to us. But if all Sweden related jokes were disallowed, is wager they'd be in a much weirder light.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

No matter what people say about anything there is always someone who will find it offensive. Here in the UK twat is probably the least offensive word you can insult someone with (In my opinion) it's meanings, a women's genitals, a stupid/obnoxious person, or to hit someone, I can see one being offensive but who goes "You twat" meaning any of those? No one. No matter what's said you say it to enough people 1 of them will find it offensive and make it big things out of it.

Back to the Nazi thing, take the swastika before the Nazi's it basically meant "well being" it's used in Hinduism even still, it was a good thing but turn it 45 degrees and you can the Nazi symbol but how many people will just see 卐 or 卍 and flip out taking it offensively?

It's bloody stupid, yes PC's are better than consoles in many aspects, yes people are just being stupidly sensitive about things they shouldn't be.

Either way welcome to the internet where the word "rape" becomes something good (this I find offensive because it's a horrible thing and should never happen to anyone) and things get blown out of proportion.

It's offensive

Stopped reading there...

Maybe this is just me, but I don't care what personally offends you. I agree with Stephen Fry on the term "I am offended by that":

If he is offended by the phrase "master race" in this context then that's his issue, not mine.

What matters is the intention of what is being said. "Glorious PC master race" isn't being used to support Nazi ideologies so the ties to Nazism are pretty much irrelevant. It is usually meant as a joke with some slivers of truth to it (PC have better control options, better graphics, frame rate and some other benefits).

I don't really see how his phrase, "The PC Gaming Enlightenment" is any less disparaging than "PC master race". It refers to the console gamers are being illogical and sheepish. Sure it makes more sense since, like he said, you can't change race but you can become "enlightened". Jokes doesn't have to be logical though (the less logical the better, usually) so I don't really see why we should try to replace an already well established "meme" with another one. The only difference would be that instead of some irrelevant connection to Nazism it would be offensive in another way.

Case in point is the word C**T, it is a legitimate word that refers to a hole/knot in a tree, but just try using it without offending people.

I think you meant to write CUNT. For some reason two letters in your post are missing.

(If someone wants to complain to me about the word cunt then please reread the first part of my post)

snip

if we don't consider how people might interpret what we are saying then we may as well not say it because the meaning will be lost by the interpretation.