GameCrate's Senior Editor Nick Scibetta Disapproves of the Label "PC Master Race"

AlexTechFix

That is true, but I didn't exactly mean it like that.

In Finland it's a joke that Swedes are all a bit too happy, if you catch my drift. Nobody takes it seriously and Swedes are just people who live next to us. But if all Sweden related jokes were disallowed, is wager they'd be in a much weirder light.

I get your point, but comparing such a harmless joke to terms connected heavily to Nazi propaganda seems a bit odd.

They're also not going to see them in a serious light.   Language is about interpretation as much as it is about intention,  If we don't consider how people will interpret what we say then we aren't being very thoughtful or respectful of them.

EDIT: in fact if we don't consider how people might interpret what we are saying then we may as well not say it because the meaning will be lost in the interpretation. 

Couldn't agree more.

From an objective standpoint PC is the best option to game. Master Race is a fitting title, the only part that could be offensive is when we call them filthy console peasants... But seriously console players need to get over it, consoles wont be here forever. | Praise Gaben |

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

if we don't consider how people might interpret what we are saying then we may as well not say it because the meaning will be lost by the interpretation.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was that you shouldn't have to avoid certain words just because "it might offend someone" even though the message is the same.

For example in your case you censored two letters. Everyone still knows which word you meant, but for some reason some people find it less offensive that way. If someone is offended by those two extra letters being visible then that's their issue, not yours or mine.

I didn't mean it as "you should never care about how someone interprets you". What I meant was "if someone is offended by certain words without taking context into consideration then that's their fault".

Context and intention is what is important, not the exact words you choose. PC master race is not being used to support Nazism so if someone is offended by it then that's their issue.

The meaning of the phrase "master race" in these two contexts are extremely different:

"I get 60 fps in my games #PCMasterRace"

"I want to brutally executed many many thousands of people because they don't belong to the master race"

Trying to say that they are in any way equal is insane.

That's what I meant.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was that you shouldn't have to avoid certain words just because "it might offend someone" even though the message is the same.

For example in your case you censored two letters. Everyone still knows which word you meant, but for some reason some people find it less offensive that way. If someone is offended by those two extra letters being visible then that's their issue, not yours or mine.

I didn't mean it as "you should never care about how someone interprets you". What I meant was "if someone is offended by certain words without taking context into consideration then that's their fault".

Context and intention is what is important, not the exact words you choose. PC master race is not being used to support Nazism so if someone is offended by it then that's their issue.

The meaning of the phrase "master race" in these two contexts are extremely different:

"I get 60 fps in my games #PCMasterRace"

"I want to brutally executed many many thousands of people because they don't belong to the master race"

Trying to say that they are in any way equal is insane.

That's what I meant.

there is no other way to point out how the word C**T is nearly always taken as offensive without actually using it, thus being a hypocrite in the process.  I thought censoring like that was a good compromise.  It means I have considered the possible interpretation and changed my language to still convey the meaning without carelessly offending.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Honestly he has nothing to complain about

when THIS is a thing

9eb.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

there is no other way to point out how the word C**T is nearly always taken as offensive without actually using it, thus being a hypocrite in the process.  I thought censoring like that was a good compromise.  It means I have considered the possible interpretation and changed my language to still convey the meaning without carelessly offending.

But I don't understand how it is less offensive to censor the word. I know a lot of people will think it is less offensive, and it does show that you've thought about what you say. I am not trying to argue against you on that, but what I am saying is that I don't see why some people take offense to the word. If someone is offended because you don't censor out two letters then that's their issue. Censoring the two letters doesn't change the context or the intention of your message

It is just two letters and it's obvious which word it is so I don't see why some people will think of it as less offensive.

It's those people I am saying "it's your issue, not mine so stop whining" to.

"It’s offensive" seems to me that he is already part of the PC master race - the Politically Correct master race that is.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The term "master race" does not specificaly connotate Nazi ideology. At least not for me. It connotates that our platform is more flexible, and better. Which it is.

The difference between the Nazi "master race" and the PC master race is that the idea of the Nazi master race was one built up by propaganda and fake science. Whereas the PC master race is scientifically better in every way. Better performance, better flexibility, better pricing (the latest "how not next gen are "next gen" consoles" video proves this)

So to sum up my arguement

Nazi Master Race = Propaganda and lies (obviously, shouldnt really need to say that but just in case)

PC Master Race = A function of natural selection, better able to adapt to an ever changing market.

Edit: Furthermore, the Idea that we are somehow responsible for our "offensive" language is a farce, I cannot in any possible way, begin to guess how every single fucking person that reads my words will take them, so I will say what I will say, if you get offended, guess what, that's your fault. You made the decision to read it, and thusly made the decision to be angry, either complain, or be an adult and move on

Edit2: to quote Stephen Fry "so fucking what?"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But I don't understand how it is less offensive to censor the word. I know a lot of people will think it is less offensive, and it does show that you've thought about what you say. I am not trying to argue against you on that, but what I am saying is that I don't see why some people take offense to the word. If someone is offended because you don't censor out two letters then that's their issue. Censoring the two letters doesn't change the context or the intention of your message

It is just two letters and it's obvious which word it is so I don't see why some people will think of it as less offensive.

It's those people I am saying "it's your issue, not mine so stop whining" to.

It's technically not less offensive, but because it is censored it shows there was a need/desire to use the word but with no intent to be offensive.  A task that is not always easy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

People in this thread are more offended by the idea that maybe what they're doing is insensitive than the people who were offended in the first place.

I knew gaming communities were toxic but Jesus Christ guys.

Di... did no one tell him we were kidding? Does he think we're actually serious? QUICK SOMEONE TELL HIM!!!

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Di... did no one tell him we were kidding? Does he think we're actually serious? QUICK SOMEONE TELL HIM!!!

No don't, it's more fun to watch him out himself as a member of the real PC master race (the Politically correct left)

People in this thread are more offended by the idea that maybe what they're doing is insensitive than the people who were offended in the first place.

I knew gaming communities were toxic but Jesus Christ guys.

I'm staying out of that. I still think that the joke is no longer a joke though. Also the way a large number of people use it doesn't shed the best light onto the community. There are reasons why I generally label my self an enthusiast, not part of said group, but this is only one of them.

You'd have to be insensitive yourself to tie a pair of words with a generic implication to Nazi ideology.

You'd have to be equally insensitive to quash their right to label themselves as such, whether or not their right or wrong.

This is just the Redskins name argument all over again. Both sides need to grow up, pull up their big girl panties, and move on.

So the internet went to Nazis before even the first post? 

Godwin is having a field day with this