[Rumour] Windows 9 revamped activation system (DRM)

qwertywarrior

is this online drm or not because it fealls like it..........either way it will get cracked. short of having to get vital imformation off the net every time you wan to use it (diablo 3 and simcity) there has yet been a way to stop pirates and those games did well!

stop trying to stop pirates just make it so legit is more appealing

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

A little bit of piracy allows the software to spread. I know people who actually tried out pirated windows 8 before considering buying it. If they are going to stop piracy, they will be affected in the long term

Microsoft allows you to try out any windows for free for 30 days. No piracy needed.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

No complains as long as it's a good OS.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Yup. That is why in Windows 8 I use a separate account. I don't use my e-mail, chat, or anything. It's just, and exclusively for Windows ecosystem. No one knows about it, as I don't use it outside. I would suggest people to do the same with Windows 9 or 8, if you have 8 now. Of course, have a very strong password.

I'm the same I guess. My MS account is actually my GMail account. God bless being able to use the GMail email for almost everything. Having said that, my GMail is sandboxed, its the junk email, amazon receipts, general nonsense email. My university email is my "actual" email where things get done, and then I got sacked with another "secured" email where its only work stuff. 

I agree though. If you are so worried, create a backup email account thats used for one or two purposes. Write it down on a piece of paper, throw it in a safe. Or a closet in your home, who really cares.  

If none of the aspects of what seems to be proposed are an issue then it should be O.K with you.  I personally am looking forward to online activation management, for me time is precious and I don't want to waste it fixing failed activation processes.

This. 

But people take that as being a sheep who is complacent. Sometimes, and I mean sometimes, these things are hilariously trivial and irrelevant. MSs approach is no different than Adobe's Creative Cloud. 

I don't own CC. Not in the traditional sense. I'm paying a subscription to access the latest and greatest version, and thats fine by me. I still have CS6 sitting around in case CC screws the pooch (seems unlikely, as its never STP'd me before). 

Online management means simpler, I'm okay with that. 

DDoS on MS's Azure system? Good luck. Honestly, good luck. MS doesn't half ass their servers and I feel confident that they could handle attacks against their system.

But people take that as being a sheep who is complacent. Sometimes, and I mean sometimes, these things are hilariously trivial and irrelevant. MSs approach is no different than Adobe's Creative Cloud. 

Those people need to understand that there is a difference between being complacent and being ok with a product after proper investigation.  

I'll wait until MS releases the EULA and fine print before I decide if I like it or not, but for now what I am reading the only thing that concerns me is the store account, but @GoodBytes has a solution for that already.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Those people need to understand that there is a difference between being complacent and being ok with a product after proper investigation.  

I'll wait until MS releases the EULA and fine print before I decide if I like it or not, but for now what I am reading the only thing that concerns me is the store account, but @GoodBytes has a solution for that already.

Depending how they integrate that, I might continue using the same email. That one email already manages my XBL services and my MS store and my One Drive, whats one more thing if they are trying to integrate every single service they have? 

Similar to Apple. One email works for everything. Phone, tablet or laptop. Its all there. Good and bad sides to that approach sure, but if they can pull off that kind of integration then I couldn't complain.

So long as MS is pushing DX12 onto W7, which I sincerely hope they are, (I'm choosing not to believe yesterday's post) then I see no reason to go to W9. 

So long as MS is pushing DX12 onto W7, which I sincerely hope they are, (I'm choosing not to believe yesterday's post) then I see no reason to go to W9. 

even if they don't,  there are usually very little reasons why we need to upgrade the OS.  I didn't move from xp until I upgraded my pc and I exceeded the ram limit supported. Because it was a few years back I went to 7, ATM there is no game or hardware that can't be used with 7 so there is no reason to consider changing.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Complete and utter BS. Won't stop pirates and will only hinder paying customers. Hopefully it stays as a rumor.

And I sincerely hope that this doesn't become a bitch to handle when dealing with multiple systems.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Complete and utter BS. Won't stop pirates and will only hinder paying customers. Hopefully it stays as a rumor.

And I sincerely hope that this doesn't become a bitch to handle when dealing with multiple systems.

I would like to know how you propose it won't stop pirates?  Even if the activation component of windows is removed to prevent it from phoning home, the OS then becomes  dead weight with no updates or patches. 

This functions just like Zune. Which I hate. Also, nothing is safe from pirates, nothing. They might not get updates etc etc, but the system can still be pirated.

Windows 9, if this is true, just lost a potential customer. If this turns out to just be a rumor, I will considering upgrading again...assuming they actually bring back the start menu.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Ok. The pirates will find a way around this. A paying customer like me will hate it. Hell I may even pirate it to avoid it even after buying a copy.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i think it's time for a new company to take over OS on PC, from what i see, and for few years now, Microsoft lost almost any ingenuity they had, very little innovations, alot of bad choices, and the company has expanded so much, that by now money is lost by hundreds of millions for no reason, either excessive number of useless staff, idiotic R&D, daily costs for employees, excecutives, buildings, jets..so many shit, that big firms think they have to do because they are big, so no matter how many billions they bring in, it's never enough.

and you start to feel this greed in their products and how they implement some stuff, you kinda feel the desperation of it all.

Ok. The pirates will find a way around this. A paying customer like me will hate it. Hell I may even pirate it to avoid it even after buying a copy.

Pretty much. The bigger challenge you give them to crack? The faster the darn game/program seems to get cracked. It is almost like these companies paint a big target on their back when making a fuss about their DRM.

Watch Dogs was pirated before the darn game was even released. Thieves were playing the game before people who paid for it, and with Uplay being down thieves could play it, when paying customers couldn't.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

i think it's time for a new company to take over OS on PC, from what i see, and for few years now, Microsoft lost almost any ingenuity they had, very little innovations, alot of bad choices, and the company has expanded so much, that by now money is lost by hundreds of millions for no reason, either excessive number of useless staff, idiotic R&D, daily costs for employees, excecutives, buildings, jets..so many shit, that big firms think they have to do because they are big, so no matter how many billions they bring in, it's never enough.

and you start to feel this greed in their products and how they implement some stuff, you kinda feel the desperation of it all.

Yes, another company will make an OS that will supplant Windows and MS.

Apple is the closest and they are only several dozen percentages behind MS market share. Pray tell, who would take over?

OS X will be completely free (and has been for two years) from now on, you know. Not just for people that bought the last one.

I'd say that's a pretty big reason to buy an Apple computer.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

OS X will be completely free (and has been for two years) from now on, you know. Not just for people that bought the last one.

not enough unless they offer 3rd party devices for price point.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have been an enthusiast since the 80's, people have been trying to build an OS to surplant MS ever since day dot,  people have been touting Linux as the next big thing since the late 90's,  Unfortunately distros come and go, some show promise and stick around (ubuntu for example) and others like apple who has come the closest but for what ever reason can't crack 10%.   At the end of the day for an OS to be better than windows it really only has to meet 3 requirements:

-be cheaper,

-be as compatible with games and productivity software and

-have at least 10 years security update support. 

I gotta ask, how is it free, can I just download it from somewhere?

I gotta ask, how is it free, can I just download it from somewhere?

Yes. You can download it from the Mac App Store from any Mac, and stick it on a USB drive.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Problem 1: What if I am doing a fresh install of Windows, how am I going to log into the App Store?

Problem 2: What if I want to buy just a CD with the Windows and I don't have an Internet connection... 

Problem 3: App Sore, really, it's slow, sh*tty and horrible. I remember when I was trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 on my tablet, I managed to do it from the 3rd time, because the Store kept crashing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Yes. You can download it from the Mac App Store from any Mac, and stick it on a USB drive.

are you allowed to share it or are you only allowed a copy if you own a mac?  because if you can't share it then it's not exactly free as you have to by a mac first.

are you allowed to share it or are you only allowed a copy if you own a mac?  because if you can't share it then it's not exactly free as you have to by a mac first.

You can share it. It's a DMG, it's actually free, it's not Windows 8.1. You could even go to the Apple store, set it to download, wait a while, then come back and copy it over. You can download it as many times as you want, copy it, do whatever. It's actually free.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Problem 1: What if I am doing a fresh install of Windows, how am I going to log into the App Store?

Problem 2: What if I want to buy just a CD with the Windows and I don't have an Internet connection... 

Problem 3: App Sore, really, it's slow, sh*tty and horrible. I remember when I was trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 on my tablet, I managed to do it from the 3rd time, because the Store kept crashing.

1. You install it, then you activate it,

2.  If you don't have internet then you don't have to activate it because you will have no way to get either updates nor viruses to for the updates to protect you from anyway.

3.  I've never used their app store so I don't know how bad it is.

You can share it. It's a DMG, it's actually free, it's not Windows 8.1. You could even go to the Apple store, set it to download, wait a while, then come back and copy it over. You can download it as many times as you want, copy it, do whatever. It's actually free.

That's good to know, I might find a torrent and have a play. It will be interesting to see if this makes a change to their OS market share.