Audiophile grade desktop speakers?

Evostatic343
Go to solution Solved by Evostatic343,

This post has gotten out of hand.... i just ordered a5+ and the audioengine subwoofer. i did my research and im content with my purchase. please stop the dick measuring contest about audiophile gear.

im looking for good audiophilic speakers to run off my new soundcard. my budget is 500$ CAD/USD

Suggestions please?

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

Audioengine A5+ ($300) with a $200 sub would be a great option.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You won't get any audiophile grade stuff for $500

Real audiophiles spend $2000+ on some studio-grade speakers like these...

A8X_coverbild.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

*image here*

A_Stunning_Expression_by_A_Demented_Loki

It's going to be kind of hard since all the good stuff that's reasonably priced is in the USA.

Looking quickly at amazon.ca the only thing that's any good are going to be the audioengine A5's.

You can grab the Audioengine A5's and this subwoofer and you should be good to go.

http://www.amazon.ca/OSD-Audio-PS10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B005RF2QOG/ref=sr_1_49?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404776299&sr=1-49&keywords=subwoofer

Audiophile = loves sound. Not how much you spend. Don't be a snob.

Audiophile = loves sound quality

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.

And to get the best sound quality and accuracy, you go for studio-grade equipment.

The A5+ are great speakers, but definitely not as accurate as a studio monitor. I mean seriously, it doesn't even have XLR input.

I guess this doesn't mean he isn't an audiophile..(you can still be an audiophile without owning audiophile equipment)...but the A5+ are not audiophile grade, if you get what i mean.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah I get it, but you don't have to spend $2000 to be an audiophile. 

Besides at a certain point most people are unable to tell the difference between the top and one bracket below (I don't mean $2000 speakers compared to A5+'s, obviously)

Plus just look at all the snake oil. The majority of the "audiophile" community is just a load of people measuring their e-peens.

Also just to note about sound accuracy and reproduction, it isn't always better for everyone to have the best sound reproduction. Audio IS SUBJECTIVE, everybody hears differently. So more people may think that slightly distorted sound sounds better than perfect sound reproduction. That isn't a bad thing.

Also just to note about sound accuracy and reproduction, it isn't always better for everyone to have the best sound reproduction. Audio IS SUBJECTIVE, everybody hears differently. So more people may think that slightly distorted sound sounds better than perfect sound reproduction. That isn't a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure that high fidelity = high accuracy with little to no distortion

Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

Spoiler

You act like your definition of the word is the only definition people use and is the only correct one.

It is not.

Found the snob.

I'm pretty sure that high fidelity = high accuracy with little to no distortion

Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

That isn't what I meant. Obviously high fidelity = high accuracy with little to no distortion. But that isn't always objectively better for everybody. That is my point. People hear differently.

The majority of the "audiophile" community is just a load of people measuring their e-peens.

Yeah that's true. Like all the people on youtube who say they can hear down to 3Hz

But there are quite a few music producers and (real)audiophiles who can tell the difference between $500 and $2000 speakers.

Spoiler

Yeah that's true. Like all the people on youtube who say they can hear down to 3Hz

But there are quite a few music producers and (real)audiophiles who can tell the difference between $500 and $2000 speakers.

Yeah of course! I never said otherwise. I agree 100%.

Although don't say that is a requirement for being an audiophile. That just makes you more of a snob. Somebody can be an audiophile and not spend $2000 on speakers.

That isn't what I meant. Obviously high fidelity = high accuracy with little to no distortion. But that isn't always objectively better for everybody. That is my point. People hear differently.

Yes, but the definition of an audiophile is someone who only likes the highest fidelity. So liking distorted sound kinda proves you are not an audiophile...

Spoiler

Why do nobody pick the Krk Rokits and always talk about the A5+?

Don't know, I find Audioengines to be nicer. The Rokits also suck as a studio mointor, which is what they are marketed as. Disingenuousness really, my favorite

Way to be pretentious and unhelpful, while tossing around a term you don't understand.

Found the snob.

You don't know anything about me. Gee, I pointed out your mistake, I'M A SNOB!

Enderman did the same thing but I was more blunt. iSnob

Seriously, what a moron.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Yes, but the definition of an audiophile is someone who only likes the highest fidelity. So liking distorted sound kinda proves you are not an audiophile...

Since we are de-railing this a bit I'll send you a message.

Don't know, I find Audioengines to be nicer. The Rokits also suck as a studio mointor, which is what they are marketed as. Disingenuousness really, my favoriteWay to be pretentious and unhelpful, while tossing around a term you don't understand.

First, read the definition of audiophile in a dictionary.

Second, scroll down to read the rest of the conversation before replying.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Spoiler

First, read the definition of audiophile in a dictionary.

Second, scroll down to read the rest of the conversation before replying.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Actually in Emorarity's defense, listing a $2000 speaker isn't helpful. He's also not obligated to only reply to what is written in the latter parts of the thread either.

The definition part, ok. Jury's out on that one.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Actually in Emorarity's defense, listing a $2000 speaker isn't helpful. He's also not obligated to only reply to what is written in the latter parts of the thread either.

The definition part, ok. Jury's out on that one.

By reading later replies in the thread you can get a better idea of the point I was trying to make. Not completely related to the thread, but related to something the OP said. Now I have moved to a private conversation so I'm all done here.

Spoiler

You don't know anything about me. Gee, I pointed out your mistake, I'M A SNOB!

Enderman did the same thing but I was more blunt. iSnob

Seriously, what a moron.

My mistake? Lol. Found the snob :P easier than playing spot the vegan.

Don't know, I find Audioengines to be nicer. The Rokits also suck as a studio mointor, which is what they are marketed as. Disingenuousness really, my favorite

What do you like about the Audioengine A5+ over something like a Krk Rokit 6?

By reading later replies in the thread you can get a better idea of the point I was trying to make. Not completely related to the thread, but related to something the OP said. Now I have moved to a private conversation so I'm all done here.

The point you were trying to make should have been all noted in the first place especially if your first post was like two sentences long. No matter how you pick at it, Emorarity's point there still stands: The OP wants good speakers for the price. Saying that true audiophiles get $2000 speakers is not helpful to the OP's goals at all. So I don't understand your logic.