What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia

I think it's about support and ease of use really. 

IOS and Mac hasn't changed much in nearly ten years, some of us see that as a bad thing but we have other options. Developers must love IOS considering the only difference between phones would be screen size and resolution. How many terrible implementations of android are out on the market right now? 

If I used my computer to make money then I'd probably go with an Apple device as well, fantastic support. If you have an Apple store near you, you could just drop in and they'll give you a replacement right away. I've had to RMA three items in my life. 

Asus monitor. RMA wasn't that bad, they sent a replacement and took the old one away at the same time but it still left me with a broken monitor for over a week which in productivity terms would be a huge loss of money. 

Nexus 5. This was terrible, they sent me a phone that had a dead pixel on arrival and upon requesting RMA I had to give them a hold of the money on my account for almost two weeks until my old one went back to them. Really helpful if you're on a tight budget. 

Finally Corsair. They requested that I send the old keyboard back before they'd even consider sending out another one. 

So in my opinion Apple have nailed it on the support front. The ecosystem between devices is pretty nice as well and what's the alternative? Linux is great if you don't use your machine for anything specific that requires a certain application. Windows 8 is alright ish but the sudden jump in UI and UX changes was horrific for productivity so Mac seems like the safest option.

But heck, I don't use Apple products anyway so what do I know? :P

Apple are overpriced!:

Are they? While you might see specs being the thing that costs the most in a system, I see rock solid stability, ease of use and exceptional design of the operating system itself justifying the cost.

You can achieve excellent stability without necessarily paying twice as much for your hardware. The "exceptional design" of the os is something that is present in some linux versions too, in fact mac os is a close relative of linux (both are based on unix). I know that it's not necessarily cheap for Apple to produce that kind of chassis and all, but you see, if they use inefficient production methods (the way they manifacture the imac's case is possibly the most inefficient possible) it's their problem, not the costumer's. If they can't sort out a way to make them cheaper, fine, I'll just buy my stuff elsewhere. There's no reason for which I might want to buy a 1100$ computer that performs like a 250$ one.

Mobile cpus in desktops are bad, there's no way around it. It's true that they are less power hungry than normal desktop cpus, but also cost much more in comparison to performance and perform much worse anyway. The tdp of an i7 4790t is 45 watts and it steamrolls any mobile cpu on the market. Mobile cpus exist for mobile platforms, not for desktop that are plugged into an electrical socket all the time.

In your post you kind of contradict yourself: you say that people don't only use it for facebook and web browsing, but then you justify mobile hardware by saying that most people don't need powerful computers.

The bottom line is, the reason people like me don't like Apple products (careful here, I don't like most of their products, I'm not necesarily against their brand a priori: if they released a product I'd find appealing I wouldn't care who made it) is that they ask way too much money for what the product offers, especially considering tech enthusiasts like us could build a hackintosh easily that outperforms a mac for a much lower price, and because of the closed system that doesn't allow you any upgrades (apart for the ram on some models) or even do whatever you like with it because of os restrictions. We like superuser access and Apple is reluctant to give it to us.

It's down to personal preference if the os and the design factor are more important to you than raw price to performance value to the point where you'd be willing to pay your computer twice as much for that, but at the same time you can't really blame people for not agreeing with you and thinking those pcs are terrible value. An experienced user can obtain pretty much the same experience quality OSX offers from a windows or a linux pc, all it takes is to know what you're doing and to not use ie.

Another reason for which some people dislike Apple in general is their attitude of presenting some software features that others had for years before them as incredibly useful and innovative and only obtainable with their products, which you will agree is a bit irritating. it's important to say what changed in your software since last year, but if all you did was catching up at least don't hype it up so much.

Here you go, I hope I cleared your doubts.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

"Equal hardware running on linux is more stable" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Slow down there, IBM uses linux on their servers, then rent those servers out to hundreds of companies over network and have thousands of virtual machines running 24/7. That os is so stable and reliable that a person I know who works in a company that pays the rent for those servers told me that even though IBM had a freaking FIRE in one of the server rooms that hosted their virtual machines at a point none of the data was lost and the company was able to access their data no problem throughout the duration of the fire because the os managed to transfer all the sensitive data to a safe node located elsewhere when it detected the risk of failure. Do that with OSX.

People get Macs because of the amazing UI and retina displays (a concept that Apple actually invented).

Of course, now you're going to tell me they invented high pixel density displays. And for the record, there are much denser screens on the market that what Apple has at the moment.

Don't insult that guy because he has a different opinion, things aren't all black and white in this matters. You claim osx is much more user friendly and better than every other os, to which I would reply that if you know what you're doing you can obtain a similar and as safe experience both on windows and linux systems and user friendliness is not something everyone likes. A lot of people, especially on this forum, prefer andvanced and complicated but extremely functional interfaces that allow you to have complete control over the os, something that Apple locks down completely. Try to see things from a different point of view before you call bs on someone else's argument.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Slow down there, IBM uses linux on their servers, then rent those servers out to hundreds of companies over network and have thousands of virtual machines running 24/7. That os is so stable and reliable that a person I know who works in a company that pays the rent for those servers told me that even though IBM had a freaking FIRE in one of the server rooms that hosted their virtual machines at a point none of the data was lost and the company was able to access their data no problem throughout the duration of the fire because the os managed to transfer all the sensitive data to a safe node located elsewhere when it detected the risk of failure. Do that with OSX.

Why are you comparing a server-specific GNU/Linux operating system to a desktop operating system designed for a completely different use case? This is an Apples to Oranges comparison (pardon the pun). There is absolutely no point is comparing them, it is an invalid argument.

Also, backup redundancy is not fancy technology designed by the computing wizard overlords that is unattainable to mere mortals. I keep my uni work in Google Drive. Oh look, my house burnt down! Don't worry, it's backed up off site. - Same thing, just on a different scale.

Don't insult that guy because he has a different opinion, things aren't all black and white in this matters. You claim osx is much more user friendly and better than every other os, to which I would reply that if you know what you're doing you can obtain a similar and as safe experience both on windows and linux systems and user friendliness is not something everyone likes. A lot of people, especially on this forum, prefer andvanced and complicated but extremely functional interfaces that allow you to have complete control over the os, something that Apple locks down completely. Try to see things from a different point of view before you call bs on someone else's argument.

The first part of this statement regarding user friendliness makes no sense at all, re-read it.

The second part about customisation - have you ever used OSX? It is more customisable than Windows in my experience. OSX is not, 'locked down'.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

-

It's true it is a server grade version, but it's still based off of the linux kernel, the same found in desktop distributions, which makes your laugh at the statement that linux is more stable on comparable hardware pointless.

It's not aesthetical costumization I'm talking about, in windows you can edit the registry if you so desire. Apple doesn't let you do that from what I know. As for linux, you can rewrite the whole os from the base up if you feel like it because it's open source. You can design you own custom ui for it if you so desire, you can write drivers for custom diy hardware for it, the sky's the limit.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's true it is a server grade version, but it's still based off of the linux kernel, the same found in desktop distributions, which makes your laugh at the statement that linux is more stable on comparable hardware pointless.

It's not aesthetical costumization I'm talking about, in windows you can edit the registry if you so desire. Apple doesn't let you do that from what I know. As for linux, you can rewrite the whole os from the base up if you feel like it because it's open source. You can design you own custom ui for it if you so desire, you can write drivers for custom diy hardware for it, the sky's the limit.

I have no qualms with the notion that Linux is more stable; that's obvious. But basing your arguments on things like server features when this thread is clearly about consumer use is simply pointless.

Once again, OSX and modern GNU/Linux distributions were created with completely different design goals and are maintained with completely different motivations; apples and oranges.

I don't really think it's defensible to say that Windows is better than OSX for general use. If you are someone who appreciates Linux, then you should certainly appreciate OSX over Windows. I really like this post from a while ago.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I don't really think it's defensible to say that Windows is better than OSX for general use. If you are someone who appreciates Linux, then you should certainly appreciate OSX over Windows. I really like this post from a while ago.

I do appreciate osx for some things, don't get me wrong, but I like windows too and I find it almost as easy to use. If osx wasn't tied to what I consider to be waaay overpriced hardware I'd probably triple boot with windows, osx and linux, but as it stands I'll make do with win and linux alone. Linux also has the big advantage of being completely free and open source, which I prefer to the closed garden Apple places you into. Overall I don't like the sort of limits Apple places on you, even if for normal use I'd probably not notice much.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They run a butchered Linux Kernal.

They are locked down tight.

All the fan boys insist "ohh I don't need an antivirus its a MAC" ... WRONG.

They ARE overpriced for what they are.

*fishing line out*

----

ps - I don't hate Apple its just my reasons I Dislike them.

1. You can run windows on them

2. I'll give you that one, though the main part of it is the cpu, and that can be upgraded (ofc not on laptops, but really no other laptops can do that either)

3. Who can blame a company for idiot fanboys? Do we blame microsoft for the xbox idiots? No we blame the idiots for being such idiots

4. Alright,  please show me something better

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Only problem I have with apple is value for money(It's unbelievably bad).

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I'm just more of a Pear guy, I suppose  :mellow:

Honestly what i hate most about their laptops...THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!

Only problem I have with apple is value for money(It's unbelievably bad).

I mean this is subjective with how you use the machines, 

For example I've owned my 2008 Mac Pro since it was released (6 Years ago now). Which I spent a grand total of £2500 on it at the time.

Yes VERY Expensive or is it? As I've owned the machine for 6 Years its cost £416 a year so far which is a very good price if you think about it, However I have spent around £500 in this time on upgrades (Putting memory up to 8GB then to 16GB Cost around £250 by itself due to memory cost on this machine, Changing the X1900 to the ATi 5770 and chucking in an SSD) So overall over the past 6 Years I've spent £3000 which is £500 a Year for a machine that I still use every day and I can run 3 displays off it and still runs as fast (Or faster with the SSD) when I bought it.

If you buy a new machine every year Yes Macs are overpriced but if you like to keep your computers for a good few years then they are worth the investment.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

4. Alright,  please show me something better

Im sorry have have you seen there new "cheap" IMAC for $1000. Its a damn dual core with intel 5000 graphics and 8gb of DDR3. I could sure as hell build something better for that money.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Overpriced in Europe

Worse hardware for the money

I hate Macintosh

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

They run a butchered Linux Kernal.

They are locked down tight.

All the fan boys insist "ohh I don't need an antivirus its a MAC" ... WRONG.

They ARE overpriced for what they are.

1. The Kernel is more stable than Windows', with near-inexistent kernel panics

2. Locked down? How so? It's using some closed-source elements, but you can get into even the deep core elements of the OS and modify them

3. Macs really don't need antivirus; sure, they get them occasionally, but Apple acts on it, and the built-in protection is much more than you need for everyday use.

4. They're targeted to a more premium market; Macs are NOT budget computers, it's just people love to compare them to budget PCs and say 'SEE?! THEY'RE OVERPRICED!' The fact is, the OS and hardware are so much more user-friendly and well-designed than Windows, and whatever cheap, primarily plastic hardware they run within.

Im sorry have have you seen there new "cheap" IMAC for $1000. Its a damn dual core with intel 5000 graphics and 8gb of DDR3. I could sure as hell build something better for that money.

Not talking about that shit, show me a better ultrabook than the macbook air for instance

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I think I tend to hate some of their more...ardent fans rather than the brand itself. Hell, I still have an iPod Classic, and I like it a lot - it's sturdy as hell. 

Basically , everything electronic (hardware) ripping off people who buy them, you know the "all hail samsung mobiles phones" hype now nobody cares if it's a galaxy 5/6 or even 7 they just know , it's just another overpriced piece of electronic hardware, it's always been like that , the one one who own the ads on TV has great product than everyone & the sheep follows.... an arrogant bunch of mislead sheep's....

Details separate people.

Not talking about that shit, show me a better ultrabook than the macbook air for instance

I was not talking about that stuff. I was talking about in general there hardware is a least a generation behind the leading edge and they still charge way too much for it. Sure yes they have good Ultrabooks/Airs etc I will agree with you there but the vast majority of there products are well overpriced for what they are.

1. The Kernel is more stable than Windows', with near-inexistent kernel panics

2. Locked down? How so? It's using some closed-source elements, but you can get into even the deep core elements of the OS and modify them

3. Macs really don't need antivirus; sure, they get them occasionally, but Apple acts on it, and the built-in protection is much more than you need for everyday use.

4. They're targeted to a more premium market; Macs are NOT budget computers, it's just people love to compare them to budget PCs and say 'SEE?! THEY'RE OVERPRICED!' The fact is, the OS and hardware are so much more user-friendly and well-designed than Windows, and whatever cheap, primarily plastic hardware they run within.

1.  I don't ever remember seeing a Windows based BSOD ever. Its all Driver/Hardware issues. (or user error)

2.  By locked down I am meaning the mobile side of things. Like your locked Iphones that cant install third party apps etc without jailbreaking them.

3. NO no no... that's like saying you will leave Windows Defender to protect a windows PC. The only reason they may get less viruses is because its a smaller user base. Also was there not a story about infected macs here a few days ago?

4. I don't agree at all with this at all. When i first had to start using a MAC it was not user friendly in the slightest its very confusing for a new person. (not saying Windows is any better mind you). and could you tell me then why they have just introduced a "Budget Imac" if its for the Premium market? (that is $1000+ for a dual core with Intel HD 5000 graphics)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1.  I don't ever remember seeing a Windows based BSOD ever. Its all Driver/Hardware issues. (or user error)

2.  By locked down I am meaning the mobile side of things. Like your locked Iphones that cant install third party apps etc without jailbreaking them.

3. NO no no... that's like saying you will leave Windows Defender to protect a windows PC. The only reason they may get less viruses is because its a smaller user base. Also was there not a story about infected macs here a few days ago?

4. I don't agree at all with this at all. When i first had to start using a MAC it was not user friendly in the slightest its very confusing for a new person. (not saying Windows is any better mind you). and could you tell me then why they have just introduced a "Budget Imac" if its for the Premium market? (that is $1000+ for a dual core with Intel HD 5000 graphics)

1. OS X has all drivers it needs, so there's even less of a chance of downloading an incompatible one

2. Well, yes, iOS is pretty closed (I was thinking OS X). But it's a much more useable and curated experience; there are enough features that you don't need to download hcks and custom things for it; it keeps Android's terrible compatibility issues from happening.

3. Whether or not it's because of a smaller user base, they rarely get viruses. Period. And Windows Defender should work on its own; it goes to show Microsoft's ecosystem by saying built-in antivirus isn't enough.

4. When did you use a Mac? Of course, going from PC your entire life to a Mac for a week is going to be difficult. But after using Mac for a while, PCs just seem clunky and the UI isn't smooth and fluid like OS X.

1. OS X has all drivers it needs, so there's even less of a chance of downloading an incompatible one

2. Well, yes, iOS is pretty closed (I was thinking OS X). But it's a much more useable and curated experience; there are enough features that you don't need to download hcks and custom things for it; it keeps Android's terrible compatibility issues from happening.

3. Whether or not it's because of a smaller user base, they rarely get viruses. Period. And Windows Defender should work on its own; it goes to show Microsoft's ecosystem by saying built-in antivirus isn't enough.

4. When did you use a Mac? Of course, going from PC your entire life to a Mac for a week is going to be difficult. But after using Mac for a while, PCs just seem clunky and the UI isn't smooth and fluid like OS X.

It seems we could argue back and fourth about this all day. As I said I don't "Hate" Apple I just have my reason as to why ( in my past use) I don't like them.

They both have there flaws. Can we agree to say that?  ^_^

Yeah, I'm getting a Macbook Pro retina for uni because it seems to be the best in class.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I was not talking about that stuff. I was talking about in general there hardware is a least a generation behind the leading edge and they still charge way too much for it. Sure yes they have good Ultrabooks/Airs etc I will agree with you there but the vast majority of there products are well overpriced for what they are

Alright, can we not talk about iMac and Mac mini, they are desktops that use mobile hardware and are stupid so can we just talk about the things that actually matter? Please give me an example is all i'm asking for, show me something clearly superior to an apple device

It seems we could argue back and fourth about this all day. As I said I don't "Hate" Apple I just have my reason as to why ( in my past use) I don't like them.

They both have there flaws. Can we agree to say that?  ^_^

Yeah, I kinda went on a rant there :P

Agreed.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have like apple in the past but now I have an utterly intense hatred to those commies. I say this because indeed they are locked down, along with the proprietariness of all of their hardware. But by far the worst part about Apple is the damned Fan boys. They are mostly the entire reason I despise apple. But as I said it is an opinion as I have too owned multiple apple hardware.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600