Everytime I want an Apple product..

Mooshi

I think we need to stop fanning the flames here, and lay out some points here.

1. This is a flame bait post 
  2. OSX VS Windows is all preference (What are you mainly doing on the machine)
  3. The value of the product is perceived by the buyer (Ex why people buy goty products over value oriented ones with similar specs)

Myself I have tried OSX and it was not for me, as I am not into media production which I have heard that product/OS has been tailored for, that is not to say there is a pc equivalent that can do the same that costs less. In terms if the arguments for instability it is on both ends, yes they do happen on BOTH sides, its called margin of error, or expected rate of failure in products, just because it happened to you it does not mean that it is the definitive experience for that platform. In the terms of the argument with viruses yes they are a reality for pc users, why because pc's still have a good chunk of market share in the world(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers), and I think OSX users are conveniently forgetting the virus that affected quite a few of them in 2012 http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 ), Macs have little to no security on them because they do not have enough market share in the world for hackers to care about them thus not creating a demand to make anti-virus programs for them.

At the end of this, lets just be thankful that these products even exist today, that they were able to challenge old ideas to become a reality so we can enjoy them today.

While i love apple, i just dont think it would be worth it for me, the macbook pro i would want would be almost fully speced for 3k, and that is because i want a dedicated gpu, for 3k i could almost take my pic on a good windows laptop and then some left over. But the thing is is what i want out of my laptop is, web browsing, productivity work for school and light gaming like minecraft and some other games like portal and gmod, and gta 4 which wont run on a osx, but if i had infinet money i would get a macbook pro and a gaming notebook to carry around as weight is no issue for me, but performance is

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

All I want is a MacBook Pro with a 1080p 13 inch screen, Haswell i5, 240gb SATA SSD, GT 750m graphics and I'd buy that for $1500.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Because Apple doesn’t license out OS X to other manufacturers, there’s no bloatware. Windows machines, on the other hand, are plagued with useless programs, which eat up system resources and are a pain to uninstall

mac as itunes facetime photobooth safari imessage all of which are bloatware if you dont use them and are not uninstallable

Apple releases OS updates on a yearly basis. It used to charge around $30 to upgrade to the latest version but this has all changed. Mavericks was the first to be made available for free.

windows USED to release every 5 years. compare that to osx yearly $30 and there about the same price.  windows updates frequently adding features and fixing bugs and closing security holes where as macs update infrequently and charge consumers for features that windows users would get for free.

There are threats out there for the Mac ecosystem, but hackers are preoccupied with tormenting the dominant Windows installed base because it's still seen as an easier target. Apple has built-in malware protection via the GateKeeper tool.

mac is growing in numbers and with that comes increased risk. macs defences are pitterfull when compared to windows. mac ships with NO AV and a weak firewall that only allows incoming blocking for programs and NO outgoing firewall with out a 3rd party solution. compare this to windows 8 with built in AV and a firewall.

Windows has always had a update problem. Clicking on the ‘update and restart button’ can lead to mammoth waiting times as you sit there watching tens and sometimes hundreds of updates installing. Windows 8 does not do anything to remedy this.

this comes down to a poor user more than software, as automatic updates are setup as standard and will update when you want down to the hour.  if you have disabled the feature then its not the os fault.

There are no such problems with Mac as Apple rolls out fewer updates - tells you exactly what they are for and installs them quickly.

see above

Those who complain about Apple forcing you to use its proprietary software are misguided. It’s possible to install Windows on any Mac via the built-in Bootcamp tool or by using virtualisation software such as Parallels 9.

macs boot camp isnt perfect can have issues and virtualisation just isnt a viable solution this cuts both ways so neither really win out

The gestures on MacBook trackpads are unmatched. They work flawlessly - so you can swipe between apps, desktops, and windows by flicking fingers up and down the pad. No Windows machine provides an experience anywhere near as consistent.

alt+tab

Most programs and their associated libraries are self-contained (apps). There’s no stress in installing / uninstalling most programs.

installs and uninstalls are childs play......come on!

Spotlight is to Windows Desktop Search as a BMW Z4 is to a Ford Pinto (in terms of performance, usability, and UI).

i never really use desktop search i know what i have done with my files, the start search on the other hand is brilliant win key then type effortless

A single SKU of Leopard is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. This, alone, is a fantastic reason to embrace the platform. It’s seamless.

????????

Time Machine. Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine. And no, Windows Volume Shadow Copy is not the SAME thing.

windows back up + 100s of 3rd party software

You never need to defrag a Mac’s hard disk.

in the 10 years i have been using computers i have defraged once and didnt see the point, and now with ssds its a mute point

Computers with Bonjour-enabled services are automatically discovered with virtually no fuss.

smb is ok its not perfect but it does the job barely bonjour can have its problems too

Setting up services such as Windows File Sharing, FTP, and even Web sharing can be done on OS X with just a few clicks.

Erasing deleted files placed in your trash (also known as a Recycle Bin in Windows) can be securely erased in OS X. No need to mess with third-party software.

Wanna set up a VNC server on your Mac? No problem, its already apart of the operating system. Moreover, the feature isn’t buried three levels deep. It’s sitting right there in the Finder. Moreover, unlike Windows Remote Desktop, a Screen Sharing session doesn’t lock the remote user out of his / her session.

The Preview tool – with annotations, basic image editing, Core Animation zooming and scrolling, GPS Metadata support, batch operations, etc.

Expose works. The only thing that surpasses OS X’s open window management is Compiz Fusion. None of this Flip3D nonsense.

as for the rest there are plenty of free 3rd party apps to acomplish that and thats the thing with so many devs supporting windows there is an app for everything (oh yes i went there)

seriously though im getting kinda tired of this now your arguments seem to be very subjective and factually inacurate windows is not perfect and mac has some good features my issue is that it will always be cheaper to buy pc and that price diferance is way too big to ignore

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

All I want is a MacBook Pro with a 1080p 13 inch screen, Haswell i5, 240gb SATA SSD, GT 750m graphics and I'd buy that for $1500.

but they are not avalible fo 1500$ more like 2500$

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Apple/Mac/OSX has become Inferior, now that windows is taking a new approach with Windows 8, and there is always Ubuntu for people who like Mac OS. Ubuntu is alot faster than OSX, Easier to use and it doesnt have all the bloatware that mac has *cough* itunes *cough* and its a pain to transfer files with apple, because they like to make you pay for everything.

Besides, mac is overpriced. The only reason people have gotten macs recently is because they got confused with the XP support thing.

Also, I dont see any real reason to update windows. There isint many benefits that come with it, and my ISP likes to have a pesky limit (80GB) and they charge you a dollar for every gig you go over.

Every single word of this post is bullshit. Have you EVER used OSX?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

He kind of has a point - a decade ago you may have had an argument in stating that a mac is the goto computer for media applications - however, since then Adobe has improved substantially on windows, Avid is much improved...Although to be fair, I've never been fond of final cut.

That said, I freely admit that I've been considering picking up a mac mini to use for word processing, browsing etc.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

He kind of has a point - a decade ago you may have had an argument in stating that a mac is the goto computer for media applications - however, since then Adobe has improved substantially on windows, Avid is much improved...Although to be fair, I've never been fond of final cut.

That said, I freely admit that I've been considering picking up a mac mini to use for word processing, browsing etc.

But this has nothing to do with what Apple is doing with the OS.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

But this has nothing to do with what Apple is doing with the OS.

I agree, but it does diminish the need for a mac - look. Most people's argument here tends to be that they have a mac for garageband/final cut...whatever, and a windows machine for gaming and multimedia; the thing is the gap has been closing on the limitations of the PC. It removes the need for two computers on your desk, and for me...I'd rather choose the one that can do the most.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

I wish I could justify the price but every time I try I just can't.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I'm personally a PC user who would consider a MacBook Air, but they refused to drop the already too expensive price in Australia. As such, I won't buy one.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have made it pretty simple for myself. I love OSX and im with Windows mostly because of light gaming that I do. I have OSX on my PC as well (hackintosh). But I keep my desktop windows while if I get a laptop it will deff be a Mac. I have had many Macbook Pro's and loved them to death. 

Yes I have, its extremely non user friendly and its a pain to do just about everything I can do easily on windows. If anything the only Unix based OS I really like is Linux Mint.

Besides it comes with so much bloatware like itunes that you cant get rid of. Linux Mint comes with alot of tools but they on the other hand CAN be uninstalled.

Also, I agree with eldergeek. The need for a mac is starting to become nearly extinct, since windows is able to do everything a mac can but better and can do things a mac cannot do.