What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia

While I don't personally see the design as a justification for the price, I can see why some people do. 

I will however disagree with the OS part. I have had several stability problems with Mac OS over the years and I find the OS to be lacking key options in places where it matters. For example there is no easy way to format a drive in Finder. It should just be a right click away, but insted I have to find the option somewhere else

Disk Utility was made to make that safer and better for the end user. I'd rather use a dedicated utility that takes seconds to open than do it though the finder.

I don't have a problem with these. If people want to pay for those, that's fine. The design on the iMac is gorgeous, but not something I would pay a premium for

Personally I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro, since it lacks some features that would be essential to the work I (Well, my wife) do. 

I wouldn't buy one either, but if I produced any serious stuff music, photo or video related; I'd get it with a non-apple 4k monitor.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I don't hate apple.

Some of the reasons people hate Apple include.

The premium price tag,Closed nature, OSX.

I am  sceptical to believe however that your class are now better artists because your school bought macs I would argue they had to have talent to begin with.

Two of my friends are artists one of them creates manga the other does commission work, both of them are talented one uses windows one uses osx. I don't believe you need OSX to be good at your job if you are in the arts industry.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

They are ok products but there hardware is so overpriced it is SAD... but people/hipsters keep buying it no matter the price.. 

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Apple are overpriced!:

Are they? While you might see specs being the thing that costs the most in a system, I see rock solid stability, ease of use and exceptional design of the operating system itself justifying the cost.

Yes they are overpriced. The rock solid stability has nothing to do with what you're mainly paying for which is the hardware: Equal hardware running on Linux is even more stable and a pretty similar experience if you could use the apps apple intentionally hijacks behind their ecosystem. If you must have OSX then use a hackintosh.

People only use them to use Facebook!:

Not true in the slightest. I've never seen one of these coffee-shop hipsters in my life. I don't have an instagram account and my Mac friends that do certainly don't waste their precious battery life on instagram. Everyone I know that has a Mac has them for a reason. From programmers and freelancers, all the way to student clothing designers. My old school got them and the students have been doing really well in terms of art and music since, and I see their work all the time. And when we're not in work, we catch up on our social life like everyone else.

There's little software that's exclusive to OSX and cannot be run (either the same or an equivalent competitor) on Windows and sometimes even Linux. The "function" part is meaningless, people get macs because of the stupid fashion don't kid yourself.

Mobile hardware in a desktop? Pah!:

Mobile hardware isn't bad hardware. It means it's incredibly power efficient. People don't understand that the reason Apple use mobile chips is because the general audience for a given price point don't need super-powerful hardware.

This reminds me of greasy and obnoxious sales people. You should buy this product, because it's faster. If only people asked themselves... will they ever use the full power of the machine?

Couple this with apples excellent design philosophy, and you get a piece of beautiful hardware, that has enough horsepower as one would need to ensure the machine meets thermal requirements and stays reliable in the process. Bingo. I want one.

AIO desktops are stupid, there's enough PC form factors to avoid such stupidity, even tiny m-ITX cases can fit 100x better cooling solutions and in some cases avoid stupid hardware restrictions like mobile based GPUs. The existence of cases like the Silverstone Raven make the AIO form factor useless.

The Mac Pro is stupid!:

This has been busted by Linus himself. I will pay you $10 IF you can find a system that is built with workstation grade hardware designed to last a loooong time, features dual workstation GPUs, ECC Memory which MASSIVELY improves reliability, expandable as much and as fast as thunderbolt, and all fits inside a case that stays quiet, cool, and less than the volume of your (considerably smaller than usual) trashcan. and overall, is cheaper than the Mac Pro.

All of which are available on standard workstation form factors. If I had designer employees who requested a Mac pro and somehow resisted the urge to immediately fire them on the spot, I would reply "I'm not going to sacrifice upgradeability, expandability and customizeability just so you can have a stupid trash can PC, fuck off back to work"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Blergh blergh blergh.. Another 'Why do people bla bla bla' thread.

What are you hoping to achieve from this? That people will start to admit they are wrong or right?

It's funny to look at Windows laptops at best buy. My mother wanted to purchase a second laptop for her business downtown, so we went looking and she was prepared to purchase that day.

I am budget minded, my mother is purely aesthetics. I combed over every laptop from $500-$1000 and there were flaws in them all ... from terrible viewing angles, too cheap plastic construction, major keyboard bend, terrible color combo's, on and on.

Walked over to the apple section to see their iMAC, Macbooks and iPADS, I couldn't find a problem with them. They were all very high quality with beautiful screens.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

*Likely posting through several linux based servers * "Equal hardware running on linux is more stable" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fixed that for you. Also, we're done.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apple is not overpriced. If they made the same stuff they do now and just wrapped them pressed metal or injection molded cases, got rid of their in-store support and ditched any kind of warranty and the included/free software, then they do seem expensive. You might be paying for stuff you don't need or want, but at the end of the day it's included either way.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Don't really use Apple products but one thing I hate.  The power button placement on the Mac Pro...and the fact it is on the same side as the AC Cable.

Fixed that for you. Also, we're done.

>implying that servers would use MacOS

>implying that servers use consumer linuxOS

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

>implying that servers use consumer linuxOS

Unlike Windows, there's no fundamental difference between the server and the user distros: Consumer distros like Ubuntu are often based off server distros like Debian (Or Redhat and Fedora), just adding the experimental features and other UI things on top.

Sorry to say but wrong again dude (or dudette) do you have more over the top laughs and rants you want to throw?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wouldn't hate on Apple if their user base wasn't just kids and hipsters that think that their shit on products by other companies. That being said, I used to use an iMac as my main computer(well, it was kinda my dad's computer mostly) and it was ok because back then, I didn't care too much about computers. But since I have been using windows computers a lot more frequently lately(running 8.1 on my main rig), I feel that Windows is the superior operating system with it's latest updates. All those complaints about windows pcs crashing a lot and running extremely slow are gone for the most part with windows 8 and 8.1. I  actually prefer the design of windows over mac. Mac osx is kind of boring looking to me and Yosemite does not change that for me. 

Life.exe is missing

I'm on my 2nd Macbook. OSX is just great, I love it. Even though I work 8 hours a day on Windows, I love to be on my Mac. Osx ain't iOS, it's not lockdown in anyway. If you're saying so you never used it or don't know how to. 

The reason I bough a Macbook is the build quality. It's sturdy, slick, durable... The trackpad hasn't been match on any laptop I tried. When I get on a 500$ laptop, I feel it right away, the cheapness. Even if I was to use Windows on my laptop, I would have considered a Macbook and wipe it clean to install Windows 8.

So for me it's :

• OSX : awesome (not for gaming mind you). Greatest from Apple.
  • Macbooks : amazing build quality (I'm personally on the low end with a 1000$ refurb MBP). Second best thing from Cuppertino. 
  • Apple TV : Cool to stream things to it. Parents are owning one and it's cool if you got some iPhone, Macbooks. Nothing can compare to it on PC.
  • iPad (mini) : Good. My girlfriend got one. It's small, light thin. The thing just fly... Well worth the price. 
  • iOS : Ok but the wall of icons is getting old... 
  • iMac : don't care at all but I guess it's cool for some.
  • Mac Pro : ok I guess. I liked the previous form factor better. They're so high end that it's not for consumer at all so... 
  • iPhone : Meh. The last on my list. I had a 3GS. Was the greatest phone back then hands down. Now that everybody catched up, I'm in the "good enough" zone with my lumia 520 that I paid $120 off contract. It's so smooth that I don't feel the need for better hardware. I can drop it and I just don't care... It never break, shatters or scratch. It's cool to be able to switch the battery too. Anyway, I don't see myself buying an iPhone anytime soon. I wouldn't say it's overpriced but I don't need what makes the price jump so... I may try Android on my 3rd phone so I would have tried the 3 major OS. 

They are definitely overpriced here in the UK. No doubt.

Also, funnily enough i have had macs erase my usb drives, crash and power off while im working (imac not macbook) and have had no issues with windows.

So please forgive me if i have no love for apple.

Macs dont eraze us drives. They use a different format for the drives so it appears empty when you plug them in. Strange but it happens to me. My imac doesnt read my drives.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

I hate them prices. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Macs dont eraze us drives. They use a different format for the drives so it appears empty when you plug them in. Strange but it happens to me. My imac doesnt read my drives.

No, i mean when i ejected my USB drive it corrupted. It was absolutely the worst thing that technology has done to me, i lost a good two months of schoolwork that i had to redo from scratch (i now backup very often). It had no problem with reading my data, in fact I applaud their tight integration of consumer friendly features, but i have had problem after problem with them and I would now not buy an apple if it was half price (i.e. if it was cost effective).

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Mac can't read NTFS. That's why. But it's safe to plug a drive in, it's only until it gets formatted that it should break it

Edit: And adding files to it would facilitate that

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I tend to have a slight dislike for Apple as a company, but it isn't exactly rational. I just dislike their attitude and marketing.

But I think this was an excellent topic. The short answer is probably fanboysim, since most people have probably grown up using windows, changing over to a Mac breaks a lot of "norms" for the user, leaving him slightly disorientated in the new OS.

The truth is, they make good products. They're a little overpriced, but like you mentioned, there's a premium to pay for Apple. I'd just grab a Zenbook though. That thing looks great and has runs an OS I'm used to.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

For me it is the fact that they are so locked up, and upon breaking parts the cost to get replacements are absolutely absurd.

Apple is OK, overpriced in Aus, but OK. It's like anything though, the fanboys fucking annoy me. All apple products ARE NOT good. Plus they lock everything down soooo tight.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I don't like Apple because they act like they are great innovators and sue everyone where in reality they are culprits of the same things. Sueing someone because they make oval phones is pretty fcked up to me. Sorry if it was already said.

I'm kind of neutral about apple. The first smartphone I've owned was an iPhone and it was great and reliable and the build quality was really nice but I didn't like the lack of customization (that was ios 4-6). Beyond that I don't like the legal action they always take against other companies for minor things. That takes  away from the mostly positive impressions of the product itself and makes apple neutral in my books. 

I dont hate apple. I kind of want an iMac for the Display for editing videos. But its kind of too expensive. Mac Pro is priced fine in my eyes. Quite good actually

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I hate Apple's exploitative schemes. Their products are nice "in a vacuum" if I can say that, but Apple's profit margin is significantly higher than any other manufacturer and they can do that because their stuff is shiny and their marketing gets in people's heads.

Fine, I'll admit that their build quality is great.

What hits me is their marketing tactic. They show the iPhone as "cool" and "popular", and most kids in my school are iSheep. They go "OMFG the iPhone is so great and everyone uses it" and I am viewed as a "nerd" for being interested in a One M8. Same with the OSX platform. Everybody calls me a nerd for going Windows, and I personally prefer Windows for it's functionality.