Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

Haters at it again. Sure, I would never buy an iMac myself, either. It's stupid to try and compare an iMac to a gaming PC. If you are not a gamer and just need something compact that works, then iMacs probably make better sense.

>spending $1100

>makes sense because it's compact

>just get a laptop for $700 that's equally spec'd

Seriously don't understand the pricing on this. If you had $1099/£899 to spend on an iMac, you'd surely be able to find the extra $200/£150 for the quad-core version with double the storage and better onboard graphics.

:unsure:

Seriously don't understand the pricing on this. If you had $1099/£899 to spend on an iMac, you'd surely be able to find the extra $200/£150 for the quad-core version with double the storage and better onboard graphics.

:unsure:

The same goes for the iPad 2... my friend bought one for £329 despite the iPad air costing £70 more :/

I don't think this iMac makes sense, but other people are hating it for the wrong reasons.

>spending $1100

>makes sense because it's compact

>just get a laptop for $700 that's equally spec'd

I don't think you understand. Macs are way more useful for working or just general home use than a $700 laptop. Let's say you spend the $700 on a lap top with equal specs. It will be crapped out in 3-4 years. With a Mac, it isn't really effected by time or all of the problems that PCs are vulnerable to. A Mac will last you longer than a PC. I don't own a Mac, but I would buy a Mac all in one before I bought a PC laptop

I kind of intended the 2nd part towards everyone going "LOLOL YOU CAN BUILD PC BETTER FOR HALF THAT". Should have made it clearer sorry :P

Well you could, if you wanted to save money and game. But if don't don't, why the hell not. I still rather make a hackintosh and get a better res screen and better components etc.

With a Mac, it isn't really effected by time or all of the problems that PCs are vulnerable to. A Mac will last you longer than a PC.

:mellow: Not sure if trolling softly or drinking too much of the Kool-Aid.

Well you could, if you wanted to save money and game. But if don't don't, why the hell not. I still rather make a hackintosh and get a better res screen and better components etc.

Well these iMacs aren't really marketed to the self builder type so they're hating a product that isn't relevant to them at all which makes no sense, just ignore it  ;)

I would build my own of course, and Hackintosh it if I wanted it.

But for people like my mum that just want a computer that works, doesn't require any technical knowhow to use and setup and has good assistance if needed is ideal. And they tend to last quite a while from what I've seen. It's never iMac AIOs coming into the shop I work in with dead motherboards and the like.

all the imacs use mobile parts these days 

Yeah I think it's due to the fact that you can't really cool desktop i5's with passive heatsinks :P hackintosh ftw ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah I think it's due to the fact that you can't really cool desktop i5's with passive heatsinks :P hackintosh ftw ^^

I'm sure you can cool desktop i3s with passive heatsinks, but not in iMac space I don't think :P. I can't really picture a NH-D14 size bulge on the back of a monitor somehow.

If you guys think that's bad in my country (Portugal) a Macbook with a Core i3 and 4 gb of RAM costs 1100 euros wich is about 1400 $(us).

apple tablets fine, apple ipods fine, apple iphone ok but apple computers! get out of here

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I'm sure you can cool desktop i3s with passive heatsinks, but not in iMac space I don't think :P. I can't really picture a NH-D14 size bulge on the back of a monitor somehow.

Yeah well, that's what I meant ^^ of course you can cool anything on passive if you have enough space but imacs hardly do :)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've never understood why Intel keeps branding low-performance, low-frequency dual core chips as i5s and i7s. It makes no sense to me. At least using their other brandings, like the i3 (it seems to have disappeared in most form factors), Pentium and Celeron brands, would make it much clearer to consumers what the computer is worth performance-wise. Nowadays, you can go to the store and ask for a laptop with an i7 and the guy will show you a crappy "ultrabook" with a dual-core 2 GHz i7. -_-

That's why I stick to AMD.

My current build :

Hurricane Mk.I

• CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz ~ 1.25V
  • Cooling - Corsair H60 2013 Edition
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 (mATX)
  • RAM - 16 GB DDR3-1600 Avexir Core Series (Red LEDs)
  • GPU - XFX Radeon R9 Fury X @ 1100/500 MHz -24 mV
  • Case - CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3
  • SSD - 256 GB ADATA SX900
  • HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
  • PSU - Corsair RM750 (750W 80+ Gold)
  • Display - LG 34UM67-P Ultrawide (Freesync)
  • Keyboard - CM Storm Quickfire TK (Cherry MX Red) + CM Masterkeys Pro S RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
  • Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013
  • Audio - Sennheiser HD598 SE with detachable mic
  • OS - Windows 10 Home Edition
  • VR - Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
  • Laptop - ASUS K501LX with i7-5500U and GTX 950M

If you guys think that's bad in my country (Portugal) a Macbook with a Core i3 and 4 gb of RAM costs 1100 euros wich is about 1400 $(us).

Oh same here, that's just how Apple prices their products. This i5 isn't far from a macbook i3 performancewise anyway.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's shit for the price. As usual with most Apple products.

and here come the haters that only bitch about Apple because its cool

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I've never understood why Intel keeps branding low-performance, low-frequency dual core chips as i5s and i7s. It makes no sense to me. At least using their other brandings, like the i3 (it seems to have disappeared in most form factors), Pentium and Celeron brands, would make it much clearer to consumers what the computer is worth performance-wise. Nowadays, you can go to the store and ask for a laptop with an i7 and the guy will show you a crappy "ultrabook" with a dual-core 2 GHz i7. -_-

I think it's because they belong in respectively mid and high end of ultra low power cpus. It's just a different naming scheme, that's not the part that bothers me. What bothers me is that this is a desktop and it's using ulp cpus and pricing them like desktop ones.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The sad thing is that crappy dual core i7 probably performs about as well as a quad core AMD A10 mobile or something :(

But yes I do agree with you, Intel need to do some rethinking as it's confusing. My i3 3217U is technically more powerful than the i5 3317U in multithreaded tasks because it clocks higher out of the box (+100MHz) when not in turbo mode.

It's very misleading as my friend keeps showing me i5/7 laptops that use ULV parts that are a complete waste and perform lower than something like i3 4100M.

apple tablets fine, apple ipods fine, apple iphone ok but apple computers! get out of here

If you're someone who really likes Apple's ecosystem, and doesn't have time to build and play with hackintosh, why would you not go for an Apple computer?

Doesn't have an external PSU. It's built in, PLUS it's thinner than most notebooks, Also likely passively cooled. I'd like to se you engineer a 4670 in a passively cooled environment. 

At that clock speed blowing in the vents every few minutes could keep it from overheating. Even if it is passive, which im sure it's not. It would be far from impressive. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

and here come the haters that only bitch about Apple because its cool

I'm not bitching about Apple because it's cool. Their stuff is objectively overpriced. Why is it bad to complain about bad overpriced hardware when it's Apple? If I had complained about an HP machine you'd have had nothing against it right?

...and here come the iSheep that only defend Apple because it's cool.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you're someone who really likes Apple's ecosystem, and doesn't have time to build and play with hackintosh, why would you not go for an Apple computer?

no i like apple tablets ect but i hat their computers hence i got a gaming  pc 

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

because price.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't think you understand. Macs are way more useful for working or just general home use than a $700 laptop. Let's say you spend the $700 on a lap top with equal specs. It will be crapped out in 3-4 years. With a Mac, it isn't really effected by time or all of the problems that PCs are vulnerable to. A Mac will last you longer than a PC. I don't own a Mac, but I would buy a Mac all in one before I bought a PC laptop

then install a distro of linux if you are THAT concerned about vaunerabilities. Also learn how to actually use the internet if you do get viruses in the first place. Common sense is something you don't have to spend an extra $400 for. Not only that but a mac has similar hardware, just because it runs a UNIX operating system with an apple logo doesn't mean it's somehow magic hardware that won't poop out in 4 years.

I'll just leave it here...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsPgs/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.97 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Best Buy)

Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.32 @ NCIX US)

Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Speakers: Logitech LS21 7W 2.1ch Speakers ($19.99 @ B&H)

Other: webcam ($27.19)

Total: $989.63

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 13:42 EDT-0400

Now laugh..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cWxkgs

All parts Hackintosh compatible out of box from Tony Mac. Includes bigger Dell IPS monitor. Mac OS is $19.99

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cWxkgs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cWxkgs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($233.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($72.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.92 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Dell S2340M 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($151.87 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1123.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 13:44 EDT-0400

Remove I5 K, GTX 770 aftermarket cooler and replace with I3 and SSD and much crappier PSU, if you just want a faster internet machine. The 2133 ram should kick butt on integrated graphics. PSU should be ok for another GTX 770 later on.

Bitfenix case looks like a Mac design. Dell display looks as good as anything Mac ever put out as far as simple elegance. Put some apple stickers on it.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.