Keurig taking DRM to a whole new level.

_tylermatthew

Well, this is interesting... it appears Keurig is unhappy allowing unlicensed or refillable pods to be used with it's coffee machines, and is going to do something about it. 

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

I have one, and I do use a refillable pod with locally roasted coffee. I have a french press, but that can be time consuming, and I usually end up wasting some.

I'm assuming it will be some sort of RFID tag that allows use? I didn't read the attached document. 

I guess Keurig machines aren't all that techy, however... it does raise (for me) an interesting point about how DRM (or in this case, CRM? Coffee Rights Management?) can and will be applied to everyday things, not just digital files... when will companies see that this doesn't benefit them or their customers?

What are some other possibilities of household or business Items that could be "DRM'd"?

Toilet Roll, that will be DRM'd 1 time use toilet roll, oh wait...

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

How dare they get between me and my cup of coffee. But I already have refillable pods so it doesn't matter for me.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

DRM dildos coming!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Ah, jeez. I need someone to make a refillable VUE pod.

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

I like how they waste their time and money on this instead of finding ways to lower prices on their own pods. Oh well, I don't drink coffee so I guess I don't have a say in it.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Not really sure how the term 'DRM' applies here, but whatever. xD

Ya, I'm mostly recycling the phrase, It's not particularly equivilent... except I guess that somehow "refilling" is like copying, in that keurig feels they should rightfully make money every time you make a cup of coffee, and not just at the first sale, since their original concept was a disposable pod. Definitely a stretch, but I think that's kind-of the point -- would keurig had thought about this if DRM weren't such a big deal in other markets?

very odd, and going to end up costing them business I would think. 

Ya, I'm mostly recycling the phrase, It's not particularly equivilent... except I guess that somehow "refilling" is like copying, in that keurig feels they should rightfully make money every time you make a cup of coffee, and not just at the first sale, since their original concept was a disposable pod. Definitely a stretch, but I think that's kind-of the point -- would keurig had thought about this if DRM weren't such a big deal in other markets?

very odd, and going to end up costing them business I would think. 

Technically the term should just be plain old RM but yeah. This is kind of stupid and I do see them losing sales. However does anyone actually search for specific coffee makers though?

P.S.This is odd. I know someone named Tyler Matthews in real life.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Can't wait for more DRM appliances....Can only put Samsung branded food in a Samsung refrigerator, cook using LG branded pots on LG stovetops.  Then Verizon will complain about their bandwidth problems and make these companies pay them a bunch of money for upgrades while simultaneously charging customers with refrigerators and stoves more. 'MURICA!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Toilet Roll, that will be DRM'd 1 time use toilet roll, oh wait...

So at first it seems hilarious, but imagine one of those big companies that sells toilet paper and paper towel dispensers to large chains adding in a similar technology... use our brand of paper goods, or it no longer works. 

It almost has a tying theme to net-neutrality in the sense that the modern companies feels that they have the right to make money of EVERY aspect of what they do -- Keurig is the cable provider, pods are traffic. 

umm why not just buy your own coffee ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

umm why not just buy your own coffee ?

Oh, absolutely... you are correct. 

But that's a question that Keurig's marketing team should seriously consider before they actually implement this. It's less about it actually affecting anyone, and more a strange example of how far and into what odd markets this type of corporate thinking is spreading. 

How dare they get between me and my cup of coffee. But I already have refillable pods so it doesn't matter for me.

You could just make it the proper way. All you need is a coffee grinder and the actual stove coffee maker thing. I have both and the coffee I make in it is way better than the machines. It's really cheap to. I think you can pick up a grinder for £20 and a stove thingy for £30 if you are looking for really nice ones. They also don't break because there are no moving parts.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Well the problem in this case is that if you're not buying the cups from them (prefilled with coffee or tea) they're loosing out, so they try to sell you the refillable cup with good margin to make up for that.

That being said, you do pay >$100 for the machine itself... Don't get greedy Keurig, I like your products.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

So at first it seems hilarious, but imagine one of those big companies that sells toilet paper and paper towel dispensers to large chains adding in a similar technology... use our brand of paper goods, or it no longer works. 

It almost has a tying theme to net-neutrality in the sense that the modern companies feels that they have the right to make money of EVERY aspect of what they do -- Keurig is the cable provider, pods are traffic. 

If you try to use it again it magically transforms into a hedgehog. That's DRM that would atleast funny:)

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Isn't this what tassimo has been doing from the very beginning? How is this different?

I like how they waste their time and money on this instead of finding ways to lower prices on their own pods. Oh well, I don't drink coffee so I guess I don't have a say in it.

In case you needed more evidence that DRM and the war against piracy is a cause spearheaded by failing, mediocre executives looking to blame the shortcomings of their products on any fucking scapegoat they can get their hands on.

That's universal in business not just in the tech industry.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I honestly can't stand keurigs. The coffee from them (even when using your own in a refillable pod) is very weak and watered down. Starbuck's own Verissmo machine makes much better coffee (and the verissmo pods happen to be cheaper than Keurigs). 

Nothing beats a French Press though. 

this has been the case (or at least they have been trying to make it the case) for printer ink.  There are always ways around it but in the end as the old adage goes: "if you make a better mouse trap, they will make a better mouse".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

DRM dildos coming!

how will that work? 0-0

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

how will that work? 0-0

well they will probably have a call back system, seeing as 99% of the time they are being used in conjunction with online material no one will notice.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.