Can we do it better than the pros?

CPotter

10:25- You can click this video right here.

I'm rather certain YouTube disabled that; there's no video overlay for me to click on.

PC in Profile

Should have had the tweeter on one side, and made a horn for it, instead of shooting up. Then you could get the sub driver, and just have it ported out the back, bottom, top, or anywhere that isn't the HF or MF.

I do like how it looks, though. I don't understand why everything has to be shaped like a large suppository, or who started the trend...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

SmartBean Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter:

10 USD

Altec Lansing 2.1 Desktop Speakers:

20 USD

UPS:

50-100 USD

Would you list the devices used for 3D printing.

Have you created vids for these machines?

Glowforge #

Other printer?

@CPotter

Did you use digital signal processing to EQ the speaker and is there some sort of crossover involved (active (biamped) or passive)?

I really like the effort you have put into this project. Loadspeaker design is a seriously complicated matter. I'm not surprised you weren't entirely satisfied with the result. It takes a lot of engineering and audio processing tricks to make a small and portable speaker sound pleasent. It's not worth the hassle to design and build something like this by yourself.

But it's fun to watch you doing it. 😂

I don't think this was a fair DIY comparison because you didn't know how to design a speaker.

nothing was said about the crossover design which leads me to believe. There are many things to consider than tuning the port. For example the distance between drivers causes a delay between which is a 180 phase shift at specific frequency ranges. for example the wavelength of 1500hz sound is about 9 inches. That means if you have two drivers 9 inches apart, by the time the pressure wave of one driver reaches the other driver, the other driver is moving back causing negative pressure which means the 1500hz tone cancels out. This also happens at the harmonics of 1500hz causing a comb filtering affect. you have to design the crossover and width between the drivers so it gets filtered out. There is baffle step loss, standing waves in the enclosure to also consider. You should have used a known good DIY design to be a fair comparisons. one of the popular ones is Paul Carmody's designs. https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy. also dayton makes complementary passive radiators to those drivers. they also make a bluetooth amp with built-in DSP . LG probably also uses a DSP to tune the speaker. 

You can't compare prices with something a big company churns out in hundreds of thousands of pieces. LG's speaker can sound the way it does and cost "only" that much, it's because they put a lot of R&D into it to actually be good and they already knew they'll make thousands of them and selling just as many. If they had to make just 1 speaker, even if it was way worse than what they offer, there is no way it would be just 180 bucks. It would cost way more for sure. Prices drop when you do mass production. Otherwise just doing the molds for plastic injection of the speaker housing cost in hundreds of thousands to millions depending on complexity. And then it pays itself off as you start churning out pieces from it.

It would be much fairer comparison if LTT had no limitations on the budget side, but wouldn't just go crazy on just buying the most expensive things. Just so you can properly do drivers to cover entire range as required and also do the case properly without any serious restrictions.Then it would be fair. But hey, it's a sponsored thing so I guess they were just goofing around for the sake of goofing around.

21 hours ago, CPotter said:

Question.

The hours spent making it .. .and thus included in labor costs. Was that including 3D printing time ? because in all fairness that should not be included, u set it to print and go do something else.

Just curious :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

42 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Question.

The hours spent making it .. .and thus included in labor costs. Was that including 3D printing time ? because in all fairness that should not be included, u set it to print and go do something else.

Just curious :)

Doubt they included time to print. Probably just time to design and set up

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply