Help me switch from console gaming

Hello everyone console gamer here looking at making the switch to pc gaming.

Just so we are on the same page I know absolutely nothing about hardware, my limited knowledge is i3 bad and i9 good. 

I play Call of Duty titles and really want higher FPS because why settle for less? i'll most likely be gaming at 1080p maybe 1440p at a push if the frames are high enough.

Can you guys recommend me a good build that would give me a solid 150fps or higher, my budget is about £3000 

From my limited research I found GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI ROG STRIX OC 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD which I really like but from what I have read online this might be overkill for what I would be using it for or that even buying this now is a waste of time when the newer 3080 will be released soon.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm just here to watch, don't mind me 😉

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

1 minute ago, Jae Tee said:

I'm just here to watch, don't mind me 😉

Enjoy the show :) haha

3000 Pounds is pretty overkill for what you're doing, I'd take some of that budget and buy a bunch of games. Also does your budget include monitor and keyboard or just the tower?

with a budget of 3k, its best to wait for newer hardware, just save the money now and get something better later.

also, welcome to the forums :) 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Darpyface said:

3000 Pounds is pretty overkill for what you're doing, I'd take some of that budget and buy a bunch of games. Also does your budget include monitor and keyboard or just the tower?

I really only play the newest call of duty titles and as they're released on a yearly basic there aren't really any other games I would need to buy. 

That wouldn't be including the monitor although If I am correct I would need a 1440p 144hz 1ms with g-sync if using an nvidia graphics card, is that correct?

Unfortunately this isn't really the best time to build a computer, simply because there are new GPUs and new CPUs coming out later this year. Not to say that you wouldn't be getting great performance now, but spending 3000 quid on a PC only for it to not be a top performer 3 months later really doesn't sound too great.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Wait until September when the new CPUs and GPUs launch, and ask for help building one then.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, frameswingames said:

I would need a 1440p 144hz 1ms with g-sync if using an nvidia graphics card, is that correct?

Emphasis on the need here. You don't 'NEED' 1ms with g-sync, even if you are using an nvidia card. It's all about budget and what it will afford you.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

6 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

i3 bad and i9 good. 

Actually this kind of attitude will get you subpar performance. The sweet spot is more in the middle. The super high end stuff kinda sucks for gaming. At best you'll get no performance difference, at worst you'll actually get more stutters because the game wasn't designed for that. Don't waste your money on super high end CPU's.

One thing that's very different about PC's is the ability to do upgrades. If you want the best financial path, spend less (I would recommend cutting your budget in half), and doing upgrades over time.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Thanks for the replies and warm welcomes :)

Unfortunately I need to rush out now but as soon as I get back i'll be able to read through the replies.

I appreciate the help.

13 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

From my limited research I found GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI ROG STRIX OC 11264MB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD which I really like but from what I have read online this might be overkill for what I would be using it for or that even buying this now is a waste of time when the newer 3080 will be released soon.

for my pc i have a msi rtx 2060 super gaming x that is really good and is about $450 USD Which is about 357 pounds you might wanna look into that or get a 2070 or 2070 super which range from about $50 USD to $100 USD more

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

7 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

That wouldn't be including the monitor although If I am correct I would need a 1440p 144hz 1ms with g-sync if using an nvidia graphics card, is that correct?

Freesync would be a better bet, considering it saves money on an equivelent monitor, and it uses the open standard Vesa Adaptive sync. which means you wont be limiting yourself in terms of GPU choice in the future

16 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

Can you guys recommend me a good build that would give me a solid 150fps or higher, my budget is about £3000 

im assuming you are wanting to put all of that in to the build?

and you are buying this build in the near future?

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Welcome to the forums. A budget of 3k is pretty overkill, you can get a really solid gaming experience for about half that. I would recommend at this point waiting for new hardware to release, as there is going to be a massive set of launches in about two months. At that point, I can help you make a parts list with the new components if you wish. Does your budget include a keyboard, mouse, and monitor as well?

This is my starting list that I like to give people and you can change the parts depending on the new hardware launches and personal preference. This will give you a really solid 1080p or 1440p gaming experience on high settings at 100+ fps depending on the game.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BlueScope819/saved/#view=PxGp23

As for the monitor, I would recommend something like this:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/623930/aoc-cq27g2--27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-curved-led-gaming-monitor

Hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know.

one thing i question is is it worth it to get a 970 evo like already there is very little difference between sata and nvme in real world performance so why not get something like a 1tb wd blue sn550 for 120 dollars instead

If you're only interested in playing COD, wait for the new one to come out before you build. New hardware will be coming out around that time. And there would be no point spending £50 on Modern Warfare when a new one comes out in like 3 months or so.

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

That would work fine as well, for my list I just picked whatever I felt good about, and in this case I have personal experience with one. I daily drive it in my system, and I've never had a problem and have been very pleased with the experience and performance. I like the extra snap of NVME as compared to a SATA drive when I do stuff like video edit, I know it's not applicable to everyday gamers, but I like to put it in there so that I can insure that people don't need to buy something extra down the line to meet their needs.

fair enough and the sn550 is nvme also just a bit slower at 2400 and 1950 reads and writes and its about the same price as a sata ssd

22 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

why do you keep copypasting this build everywhere?

the GPU isnt good value, 

the SSD is far from worth the money, and some of the components arent even available in every region. 

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I like the extra snap of NVME as compared to a SATA drive when I do stuff like video edit, I know it's not applicable to everyday gamers, but I like to put it in there so that I can insure that people don't need to buy something extra down the line to meet their needs.

well, there really is no notable extra snap, also the SN550 is NVMe. 

the 970 evo is just overpriced while offering nothing in return compared to cheaper offerings like the Phison E12 drives, the SN750 or even the Kingston A2000. 

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I know it's not applicable to everyday gamers, but I like to put it in there so that I can insure that people don't need to buy something extra down the line to meet their needs.

i dont see how a drive that offers nothing extra will meet a need that a cheaper drive wouldnt. 

38 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

Any help is appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£276.97 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate 76 CFM CPU Cooler  (£73.99 @ Currys PC World) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  (£194.15 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£113.26 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£128.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (£693.60 @ More Computers) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£138.99 @ Box Limited) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£102.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Monitor: Nixeus NX-EDG34S 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (£602.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £2325.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-13 20:01 BST+0100

probably something along the lines of this, perhaps swap the monitor for this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/J2TzK8/aoc-agon-ag273qx-270-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-ag273qx

if you dont like the 21:9 aspect ratio. 

@BlueScope819 Thank you that really clears it up a lot. Is V-Sync the same as FreeSync or are those different things?

@GoldenLag I am hoping to buy the parts ASAP and attempt my first build. 

I never would have thought the i5 would be capable of being compatible with that GPU I thought I would of needed at least an i7 although I really only know the i7 is newer things like 4.1Ghz confuse me so I still have a lot of learning to do.

@spartaman64 I really like that monitor and the case is minimal which I love although I have my heart set on the nzxt Kraken Z73 because I really like the mirror effect. Do you know if that is compatible with that case

Although I am a bit confused that some posts seem to state that the higher end CPU isn't required and others say wait for the newer CPUs to be released, am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

@BlueScope819 Thank you that really clears it up a lot. Is V-Sync the same as FreeSync or are those different things?

@GoldenLag I am hoping to buy the parts ASAP and attempt my first build. 

I never would have thought the i5 would be capable of being compatible with that GPU I thought I would of needed at least an i7 although I really only know the i7 is newer things like 4.1Ghz confuse me so I still have a lot of learning to do.

@spartaman64 I really like that monitor and the case is minimal which I love although I have my heart set on the nzxt Kraken Z73 because I really like the mirror effect. Do you know if that is compatible with that case

image.png.29e455cbb3904bb03aa9cfb8a30edde7.png

if you are talking about the 360mm one unfortunately it doesnt seem to be compatible 

edit: apparently you can fit it in front if you remove the hard drive bay and psu shroud but you need to get a shorter gpu

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/VvJtt6/fractal-design-meshify-s2-black-dark-tg-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-s2-bko-tgd

the meshify s2 can fit it more comfortably 

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

V-Sync is the open source version of FreeSync and G-Sync, FreeSync is AMDs version and G-Sync is NVIDIAs version.

As for the i5 vs all the other whatever generally CPU tech is way ahead of GPUs in terms of how you pair them, like a Ryzen 5 or i5 is fine with a 2080 or something.

That makes a bit more sense, but after recently watching a video about bottlenecking I am worried about either getting an underpowered CPU for my GPU or a GPU which is underpowered because I don't have a good enough CPU.

Do you know which CPU would be best paired with the new GPUs which are being released soon or isn't that information available yet?

@spartaman64 It is the 360mm one I am looking at, I did want it at the top though. What are the chances of something like that failing and leaking? that is the the closest I think I would be brave enough to put in my system, I don't trust myself enough to do a custom water cooling.

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

V-Sync is the open source version of FreeSync and G-Sync, 

No its not. Like not at all, Vsync is far from the same as Freesync and G-sync. 

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

FreeSync is AMDs version and G-Sync is NVIDIAs version.

Freesync is Vesa Adaptive sync. Gsync is Nvidias own proprietary framesync inplementation that predates freesync/Vesa adaptivesync. 

And since Freesync is Vesa adaptivesync you can use it on both AMD and Nvidia cards. 

Vsync is something that locks the framerate, but does not change the refreshrate on the monitor to match the framerate

6 minutes ago, frameswingames said:

That makes a bit more sense, but after recently watching a video about bottlenecking I am worried about either getting an underpowered CPU for my GPU or a GPU which is underpowered because I don't have a good enough CPU.

Do you know which CPU would be best paired with the new GPUs which are being released soon or isn't that information available yet?

@spartaman64 It is the 360mm one I am looking at, I did want it at the top though. What are the chances of something like that failing and leaking? that is the the closest I think I would be brave enough to put in my system, I don't trust myself enough to do a custom water cooling.

image.jpeg.e1b05132f6363180c14d6e0e2f5a400b.jpeg

the meshify s2 is longer also so it should have enough room for it in the front

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Because AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs + Nvidia GPUs will all be releasing this holiday season, I assume (I haven't seen the benchmarks yet obviously), that the Ryzen 5 4600 (or whatever they decide to call it) would be best paired with a 3070, or 3070 Super if they decide to keep going with that awful naming scheme. If AMD graphics cards "git gud" enough those would also be a viable option.

I was toying with getting a Ryzen over an intel as I heard they perform better but also are less stable because they haven't been around as long but I guess the best thing about building it myself is that parts can be swapped out and I don't think i'd have any issues selling a CPU.

Knowing i'll most likely be gaming at 1080p would the newer GPU be overkill in your opinion? I feel it would give me more frames but I feel because I wouldn't be using ray tracing or playing in 4k and that is a waste and isn't living up to it's full potential. 

What are reasonable/normal temperatures for the CPU and GPU to run at? just so I know when monitoring them if i should worry if one seems to be struggling.

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I'm massively oversimplifying

Saying something is the open source version of something else is not simplifying. 

Especially when its just wrong.......

For you @frameswingames

Tl;dr:

Spoiler

Vsync is a setting that locks the framerate. Generally shouldnt be turned on, unless you specifically will benefit from it

Gsync is the proprietary framesync technoligy made by Nvidia. Which, with few exceptions, can only be used om Nvidia hardware

Vesa adaptivesync is the open source implementation of framesync technoligy. It can be used on a variety of graphics cards including AMD and Nvidia, which also happens to include consoles iirc. 

Freesync is AMDs spin on Vesa adaptivesync that uses the same implementation and is generally used marketing framesync monitors. Since its Vesa adaptivesync, you can use freesync monitors with Nvidia and AMD hardware, or others who may support Vesa adaptivesync. 

And since that isnt short at all, and mostly confusing.

Tldr, just dont read into it and get a decent freesync monitor. 3 different good displays have been suggested earlier in this thread.