This is a TINY SSD

nicklmg

Thank you for the video, Nick!

Love the more informative videos, which go into the nitty-gritty detail.

I always end up learning new stuff, like I didn't know the DRAM on an SSD was there for the lookup table. Like in hindsight it makes total sense, but I had just never looked it up :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I really appreciate it that you guys now release your videos on LTT much earlier than before 👍

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Wow, it's so tiny!  (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

My HP laptop has SK Hynix 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD that's literally a "bigger" PCB with nothing on it but what Kioxia offers. It's also DRAM-less and given I couldn't find it either separately, integrated SSD controller. Hynix could just as well shrink it to this form factor, but it was apparently not convenient for them to do so given Linus had problems finding anything to stick it in. And yes, that half empty PCB does look funny.

This is what it looks like (not my image coz I didn't photograph it). It's so funny how a sticker has it's own spot on an empty PCB as there is so much emptiness.

I still don't understand why Toshiba, one of most well known brand names in the world renamed this division to "Kioxia". Why not Toshiba Memory or just remain Toshiba Memory Corporation. I don't get it. It's literally like renaming Ferrari to Ravioli. From well known brand to some pasta. Totally unrelated, totally unknown in a car segment...

SK-HYNIX-256GB-M2-SSD-HFM256GDJTNG-8310A-NVMe-PCIe.jpg

@RejZoR Yes, it's the naming is a bit strange. Same as SK hynix, samsung or hitachi/toshiba (in the Enterprise HDD market).

One thing that I would like to see you guys doing was trying to use this SSD on older laptops that don't have the an M2 port for SSD but has the wifi card on a pci-e m2 slot as it is the same size as the wireless card and both are PCI. So maybe is a option to put high speed SSD on a older laptop

Those 3.5" SSDs were awesome back in the day, I'm still using my 480GB OCZ one, SATA-II may result in a max 300MB/s limit but the IOPs are still better than some budget SSDs today.  I use it as my third drive, it's great as a landing zone for downloads and for any games that won't see any added benefit from being on an NVMe SSD (I.E anything that has a countdown before the round starts).

Guys, it's 2020. Why do I have to write this, telling you (a tech channel that does  Benchmarks basically on the daily) that the benchmarks are more or less useless without IOPs or at least random rw / small files... Noone is copying large sequential files all the time or in excess of 10 minutes. but what they will do is run multiple programms, download things, save files, make updates, etc all at the same time. Guess what access pattern that is?

The next nintendo switch had better have something like that.

If only nintendo would switch to android for the foreseeable future.

Also can linus call the M.2 people and make them design a tool-less mounting mechanism for M.2s?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

So given the package/die size it would be possible to make a 16TB or larger 2.5 inch sata SSD, or a 4TB NVMe variant.

Where are they???

I think one of the reasons behind the lack of "giant" capacity SSD's is their ability to retain data in the event of an extended power loss. You can have a HDD sitting on a shelf for 10 years, hook it up and it will still work fine. Not so with NAND - leaving it unpowered for extended periods and all those bits risk getting lost. Even the SSD-based RDX drives specify an archive life of only 1 year, as opposed to 10 years with a hard drive and 30 years with LTO tape.

Makes the argument for (big capacity) hard drives considerably more relevant.

One really good use case is of course as a huge scratch disk and there are some U.2 products out there that can do 3-10 DWPTD. It's also magnitudes cheaper than trying to cram 3-4TB of RAM inside a system for a RAMDISK.

That also makes a good use case for on-board RAID0 - throw 2 or more cheap SSD's together and you can get a half-decent scratch disk, although I wouldn't trust it as a boot drive or even a steam drive. I have seen cheap controllers randomly flake out, drives drop out and as a result get data lost. Fortunately I keep backups!!!

I recently purchased a laptop and was very surprised when I opened it up and found such a tiny NVMe SSD. For reference it’s an Inspiron 14 5485 2-in-1. Funny enough my drive actually has Toshiba branding on it, weird.

8 hours ago, zENjA said:

@RejZoR Yes, it's the naming is a bit strange. Same as SK hynix, samsung or hitachi/toshiba (in the Enterprise HDD market).

How? Hynix is a very well known brand among computer savvy people (not even enthusiasts) and Samsung Hitachi or Toshiba are very well known in general. And they use those names everywhere. Kioxia is like a brand reset and it'll take years for people to realize it's a Toshiba rebranding and it'll take many more years for it to build up reputation like Toshiba has. Which is why it's weird they decided for branding reset. Hitachi, I'd sort of understand after the Deathstar fiasco which people still joke about today, but not Toshiba.

• 2 months later...

I might be interested in such a tiny SSD drive for a little project. I am more interested in the physical size of the drive, not the 1TB size per se. Less GB would still be ok. I might start looking for used laptops that were set with it. Is there any list of those? Any specific model I could look for?