LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

4 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

Other news though, I'm likely gonna be building that Ryzen based system I've been wanting to for a year or so now! (Given everything works out the way I'm hoping, that is.)

All I hear is, Make more folds!

Was gonna mod the meme but I'm to lazy for that 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Guys, my Aorus 1080 TI memory clock default is 5616 but when when i run F@H, it's reduced to 5103. I tried setting P2 Memory clock in nvidia inspector but it just goes back to 5103. I have tried disable Force P2 in nvidia profile inspector as well but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

4 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=928671

How in the living hell does "someone" do 8k WUs in 3 hours.

Do they have azure folding on all cores? I don't understands this

Not too sure... but EC2 Spot instances are an Amazon clould service. So not so sure that's an individual, it might be Amazon directly?

i know nothing about how this thing works but why is my peasant gpu is not doing 100 percent even tho i set it on full power? 
ltt ftw 🔥🔥🤘

image.png

1 minute ago, BlueJedi said:

Not too sure... but EC2 Spot instances are an Amazon clould service. So not so sure that's an individual, it might be Amazon directly?

Ahhh, I don't keep up too much with cloud stuff and who does or has what.

Does make sense though

1 minute ago, deepbogger said:

i know nothing about how this thing works but why is my peasant gpu is not doing 100 percent even tho i set it on full power? 
ltt ftw 🔥🔥🤘

image.png

It's not showing 100% because you are using Task manager.

HWMonitor will show you a more accurate reading without having to fumble around in TM to change one of your graphs to read-out CUDA utilization

10 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

They literally have EC2 in the name, rather suggests they are renting out Amazon EC2 instances.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

Am I doing this correctly?

FAHLTT.PNG

Basically, no real point in having your protein viewer up though. It uses up some resources that could otherwise be used for folding! :D

17 minutes ago, snorlaxgangs said:

Guys, my Aorus 1080 TI memory clock default is 5616 but when when i run F@H, it's reduced to 5103. I tried setting P2 Memory clock in nvidia inspector but it just goes back to 5103. I have tried disable Force P2 in nvidia profile inspector as well but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Is the memory bandwidth maxed out?  If not, I wouldn't worry.

My RTX2080 also seems to clock down from 14000Mhz to 13600Mhz.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, LordKitsune said:

Basically, no real point in having your protein viewer up though. It uses up some resources that could otherwise be used for folding! :D

Why does my protein say "demo"?

14 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

"ec2spot" would be a helluva name for someone folding on Azure. Those are AWS EC2 Spot instances. I'd love to know who it is. I fold in the same manner at a much smaller scale.

Just now, distantly_social said:

Cause it is not set up 100% right away. There are extra steps you gotta do. Not worth in IMO.

1 minute ago, LFreeman said:

Cause it is not set up 100% right away. There are extra steps you gotta do. Not worth in IMO.

How do I know if I'm folding for COVID-19?

Just now, distantly_social said:

Leave it set to auto.

1 minute ago, distantly_social said:

Because the current iteration of F@H viewer doesn't play well with the current cores, and is also broken. Previous version of the viewer will work with the newest version of the client, HOWEVER!

The workaround is kind-of sketch, and isn't very consistent. If it pulls the information from the core, it usually displays the water molecules as well which the viewer is supposed to filter out. It also can cause the client to choke on itself for a length of time when opening the viewer, which hasn't caused any harm to any of my WUs yet but I also rarely open the viewer.

2 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

In the web viewer, if you hover over the project number it should open a dialogue box with information about the project

3 minutes ago, LordKitsune said:

It's not showing 100% because you are using Task manager.

HWMonitor will show you a more accurate reading without having to fumble around in TM to change one of your graphs to read-out CUDA utilization

thanks! my pc is blowing a bunch of hot air out will this damage my pc? my cpu is at 83c rn and I'm supposed to boost at 3.6 GHz but it id pinned at 3.5 should i consider a better cooler? 

image.png

7 minutes ago, distantly_social said:

You can search the work unit number or if it show the description. Where it says "I support research fighting" leave it at any.

This.png

Edited by LFreeman
Forgot a detail. I'm tired sue me

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is the memory bandwidth maxed out?  If not, I wouldn't worry.

My RTX2080 also seems to clock down from 14000Mhz to 13600Mhz.

it's on pcie 2.0 x16, i think bandwidth is maxed out. 

1 minute ago, snorlaxgangs said:

it's on pcie 2.0 x16, i think bandwidth is maxed out. 

@Alex Atkin UK

Part of the reason why you see reduced clocks is the fact that core22 WUs hit the card harder and make them hotter than core21 WUs, thus causing the clocks to dip under GPUBoost on the GPU.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, deepbogger said:

thanks! my pc is blowing a bunch of hot air out will this damage my pc? my cpu is at 83c rn and I'm supposed to boost at 3.6 GHz but it id pinned at 3.5 should i consider a better cooler? 

image.png

What CPU is it? If you're on a Ryzen (or any recent) chip, I wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe make your fan curve a lil' bit more aggressive. CPUs nowadays can take 100C, though it is seriously recommended to not sustain those temps. Being 17C under should be ok. However, you could increase longevity by slapping a 120 or 240mm Radiator or hell, even buying a better air cooler (or faster fans).

There are lots of ways you can improve thermals, just depends on what you're shooting for