Not really helping the price to performance - Comet Lake-S prices found + new benchmarks

williamcll

Normally when stores start listing price it might mean that release is imminent. For reference a Ryzen 5 3600X will cost between 260 EUR to 220 EUR

The 10th Gen Core series (codenamed Comet Lake-S) was finally listed in Czech and Slovakian stores. The new CPUs will cost from 80 to 279 EUR with VAT (that’s the price of Core i5-10600 with a cooler — BOX). Interestingly there is no trace of the Core i7 or Core i9 series yet – meaning 8-core and 10-core CPUs are missing from the list. The pricing is definitely not final, it may not even be from an official source, but a distributor. Yet, it is interesting to see how the same store has listed Coffee Lake-S (9th Gen Core series) compared to Comet Lake-S (10th Gen Core). image.png.451c5ac02b195e77fb61692fd7901408.png

Intel’s Comet Lake series appear to be priced slightly higher than Coffee Lake, but the difference is marginal and it is possible that the pricing will change or adjust to the new situation as the series launch.

Other than that, some benchmarks for the i7 series have been found as well: an engineering sample of the i7-10900 is shown to have medicore performance compared to 9th gen core CPUs (that said this seems undeclocked so take it with a grain of salt)

Here is also an i7-10700 showing low performance numbers:

image.png.093cbd222cfa6d69bef15139970680ef.png

Source:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-comet-lake-s-10th-gen-core-series-listed-online

https://hk.xfastest.com/46656/intel-core-i9-10900-es-benchmark/

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1269468

Thoughts: By the time these chips even come out I be most Ryzen chips would already beginning to drop their prices awaiting the next generation Zen chips. It could be a tough battle for Intel here.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

While not fire sale kind of prices, most Ryzen 3k series chips have been on sale in various places, with some of them fairly perpetually on sale at this point.  The 4k series I think was expected end of year, or at least more detailed info by then if intel still hasn't answered the existing chips by then.

I was really hoping the 10700k would be my next CPU but from what I've read so far is that it's not the upgrade I was hoping for. Make me really think about looking into Ryzen 4k whenever that releases.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

Have we learnt nothing? Generally speaking, launch pricing is a bit higher than the level shortly after. Other factors could apply. Also, stating the obvious, not everyone obsessively buys on perf/$ and I'd dare say many who do, do it wrong (look at Linus' thinking on older Scrapyard Wars for generally how to do it less badly).

On performance predictions, if the underlying architecture hasn't changed, do we really expect any significant difference beyond any clock/core differences? So it isn't an exciting launch for enthusiasts by any means, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll do badly for Intel.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, porina said:

On performance predictions, if the underlying architecture hasn't changed, do we really expect any significant difference beyond any clock/core differences? So it isn't an exciting launch for enthusiasts by any means, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll do badly for Intel.

I think our best hopes for performance here have to do with hyperthreading potentially being enabled on more of these CPUs. IPC won’t change and frequency should barely change, so we’re pretty much stuck with hyperthreading to improve the value proposition on lower end CPUs, I think. 

So, even if it’s boring for enthusiasts, it might still be worthwhile for system builders. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

So Skylake+++++++++++++ is launching soon?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, porina said:

Have we learnt nothing? Generally speaking, launch pricing is a bit higher than the level shortly after. Other factors could apply. Also, stating the obvious, not everyone obsessively buys on perf/$ and I'd dare say many who do, do it wrong (look at Linus' thinking on older Scrapyard Wars for generally how to do it less badly).

I don't think anyone expected higher performance, but there was some hope that Intel would be willing to cut prices a bit to stay semi competitive like they did with Cascade-X. 

Granted with their endless 14nm shortage I doubt it would have actually lasted for long before stock ran out and retailers started gouging, but at the very least it could have been a PR win. 

Spoiler

Then again it would also look like an even bigger sign of weakness and maybe Intel is just trying to maintain a face of still being market leader until they can get something 7nm to market.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, williamcll said:

Interestingly there is no trace of the Core i7 or Core i9 series yet – meaning 8-core and 10-core CPUs are missing from the list.

Do we know for a fact that there are no 8 core i5 chips? The i7 got HT back so it wouldn't be much of a stretch...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 hours ago, porina said:

Have we learnt nothing? Generally speaking, launch pricing is a bit higher than the level shortly after.

Some people just do not learn!

Is there even a point looking at Intel before Ice Lake unless you absolutely need something super specific and even then chances are you'll just get some old security bug floating around coz of it. Not expecting that to change hugely with Sunny Cove architecture (on which Ice Lake will be based on) will change all that much, but at least it should bring substantial performance gains that are nowhere to be seen now.

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

Do we know for a fact that there are no 8 core i5 chips? The i7 got HT back so it wouldn't be much of a stretch...

The i5’s are supposed to be 6c/12t, i7 8c/16t, i9 10c/20t.

Just quoting Anand, you know from Anandtech when he used to be the head.

"there are no bad products, only bad prices". This means that regardless of the cost of materials, if the price is good enough (or even negative), all products might be used by someone. From this article, first paragraph https://www.anandtech.com/show/14915/the-asus-rog-phone-ii-review/2 .

The 10600K if they probably release it should be at or slightly below 8700k release price, sans (without) the price gouging that happened when supply was super scarce. If anything there are no improvements besides having higher clocks, slightly better iGPU I guess, but not a large leap that's worth it by going to another platform seeing as intel likes to release a new chipset everytime.

Is this a good product? If it was at a specific price yes. Is it worth it? Not for me, but for that super special someone out there I guess intel has something just for you then.