Bezels/Buttons

dual290x

Am I the only one who will miss having a bezel and/or physical/capacitive buttons? I hold on to my Galaxy S7 because of this very reason. I like having a bezel, and I like having buttons. If I wanted ALL of my buttons on a screen I would have stayed with apple. Okay, I am off my soapbox now.

I guess I will buy a blackberry.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

iPhone 8/Plus is still fully supported by Apple, the rumored iPhone 9 is supposed to be a derivative of the iPhone 8 design. So there are certainly still options. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPhone 8/Plus is still fully supported by Apple, the rumored iPhone 9 is supposed to be a derivative of the iPhone 8 design. So there are certainly still options. 

But I find that the newer iphone home buttons (after iphone 4s or 5) are more capacitive that actually clicking. I like a clicky home button. I'm weird, I know.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I actually just got myself a BlackBerry Bold 9900. Gonna daily drive it until AT&T shuts down their 4G network.

I would get the Key 2 but I tend to do nasty work (dirt, oil, etc) and am always afraid of getting that crap in the keyboard.

@TempestCatto, Let me know how the 9900 works for you. They shutdown the BB app store... :,(

ORLY?

25 minutes ago, dual290x said:

I would get the Key 2 but I tend to do nasty work (dirt, oil, etc) and am always afraid of getting that crap in the keyboard.

@TempestCatto, Let me know how the 9900 works for you. They shutdown the BB app store... :,(

I got it because it's no longer a smartphone. It's now a "feature" phone. It calls, it texts, that's really it. I hate smart devices being everywhere. They have their place, sure. But not next to our genitalia.

I actually am coming from a Pantech P5000. What is basically a stripped down version of the Bold 9900. I fuckin love that phone, so I know I'll love the BB. The reason for the switch is because AT&T shuts down their 3G network sometime next year. It won't be much of a switch for me though as I'm used to the style and form factor already.

I work custodial but I rarely get into dusty-esque situations. So I don't experience any grime getting in between the keys. I'm also the kind of person that keeps it in a belt mounted pouch, because hell yeah 90's.

26 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

But not next to our genitalia.

It’s all non-ionizing radiation man. It can’t hurt you. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Who doesn't love buttons, dials, switches and sliders?

There is a time and a place and my mobile device isn't one.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I don't mind a phone having bezels, IMO it's better than a notch or a hole punch, and to me the Galaxy S9 has the best bezel design.

Although I'd rather not have a physical home button because it's too prone to collect dust and stop working.

8 hours ago, otto1 said:

Aren't Blackberry phones made by TCL now?

This week, TLC announced that they are no longer working with RIM.

ORLY?

I upgraded from my S7 Edge to a Oneplus 6T end of 2018.

I don't miss the bezels, and i don't miss the Buttons.
And oh boy do i NOT miss this horrible crappy fingerprint sensor, the S7 Edge had.

Not missing Buttons, because of Oneplus' extremely good gesture navigation - in my Opinion THE best Gesture navigation you can find on Android.

It works so damn great once you got used to it, that i find those Navigation buttons completely useless and wasted Space.

Btw, Blackberry is dead: 

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I upgraded from my S7 Edge to a Oneplus 6T end of 2018.

I don't miss the bezels, and i don't miss the Buttons.
And oh boy do i NOT miss this horrible crappy fingerprint sensor, the S7 Edge had.

Not missing Buttons, because of Oneplus' extremely good gesture navigation - in my Opinion THE best Gesture navigation you can find on Android.

It works so damn great once you got used to it, that i find those Navigation buttons completely useless and wasted Space.

Btw, Blackberry is dead:

I like having something to hold on to, we like the bezels. We like/miss the buttons.

I never use the fingerprint reader. Never had a need, never trust them anyway.

We know it's dying, I mentioned it already. Thanks for the article, though.

ORLY?

I'm happy going without thick bezels and physical buttons.  Admittedly I'm an iPhone user, but I'd probably be on something like a OnePlus 7 Pro right now if I had to use Android as a main driver.  You're probably going to slap a case on your phone regardless, so you'll have something to grip on to, and on-screen control isn't too difficult to adapt to.  Now, if you have something like the Huawei Mate 30 Pro with a "waterfall" screen that runs off the sides, that's more of a problem...

As a side note: I'm not accusing the OP of this at all, but I believe every techie's goal should be to avoid becoming That Guy/Gal/Person who's holding on to an ancient device because they're waiting for a reversal in tech trends that will never happen.  You know that type, the one who's still carrying a six-year-old phone because surely the industry will go back to removable batteries any moment now.  The one with a clunky decade-old laptop who won't get a new one because they can't play their twenty-year-old DVDs on a flight.  It's like music and politics.  You don't have to like every change, but if you let your preferences calcify, you end up missing out on so many improvements.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:41 AM, dual290x said:

Am I the only one who will miss having a bezel and/or physical/capacitive buttons? I hold on to my Galaxy S7 because of this very reason. I like having a bezel, and I like having buttons. If I wanted ALL of my buttons on a screen I would have stayed with apple. Okay, I am off my soapbox now.

I guess I will buy a blackberry.

Dunno buttons are generally the only things I’ve had break on phones so lack of the ones that got the most hammer isn’t too bad. But then Apple does it well, android phones I’ve had a go with are a bit clunky. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?