How often should I format my win 10.

Ayush007

Hello everyone ,

Hope you are doing well !!

{YOUR OPINION IS HIGHLY VALUABLE 4 ME}.

I know many of you guys have quite depth knowledge regarding  how to maintain  PC n stuffs. So I will feel highly privileged if anyone of you can give me advice regarding  whether I should format my windows or not , as yesterday I face some issue while playing game like doom, returning  to home screen again n again while playing game so I have to close the app n start again , another symptom which I notice is  while turning on my PC it shut down automatically  { C I may be wrong but I think for this issue  I blame to  my power button } but still somewhere deep down my heart I feel to format it , should I???

( NOTE- last time I format my PC  was approx 7 months ago)

your cordially 

Ayush

I format whenever I screw up my install beyond repair or when it gets slow.

Usually that is within a year, it's been 14 months now and I am planning a reinstall.

About your problem, when you say :

5 minutes ago, Ayush007 said:

returning  to home screen again n again while

• Do you mean the start menu opens?
  • It shows the lock screen?
  • Or it shows the desktop?

If it goes to the desktop, what applications are running in the background?

Did a notification show up? Those might also minimize the game.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Never if nothing is wrong.

If you don't mess around with system files I agree with this; but when you start messing with the registry and tweaking Windows it doesn't take too long before you make a mistake.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I've not done it in 4 years for my desktop

My laptops cus its new has been fine for 4 months

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Last time I done it was 3 years ago on my main machine and few months ago on my secondary machine but it was done only because I upgraded 90% of it's hardware.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

As others says - never. At least until works. If you experienced some problems - try to fix problems. Windows itself works very good so it's big probability that problems are 3rd party software or even hardware related. Windows has built in diagnosis tools and if you really want to check is something wrong, you can always add another user account and check if problem is still there. I had once problem that was extremely hard to diagnose and solve, and switching to another user was my good temporary solution. But I am not a person who uses Windows like most of users, so in your case just using existing installation basically forever will be the best option. Unless you really like to install Windows and you have nothing interesting installed.

I agree with the 'never, unless something is broken and only a format can fix it"

38 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

If you don't mess around with system files I agree with this; but when you start messing with the registry and tweaking Windows it doesn't take too long before you make a mistake.

Just make a system restore point/image before doing that stuff and you can simply step back to an earlier state of Windows, instead of doing a full restore.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Just make a system restore point/image before doing that stuff and you can simply step back to an earlier state of Windows, instead of doing a full restore.

True, that'd make things a lot easier.

I just don't because it feels nice having a fresh Windows install every now and again :)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

23 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I format whenever I screw up my install beyond repair or when it gets slow.

Usually that is within a year, it's been 14 months now and I am planning a reinstall.

About your problem, when you say :

• Do you mean the start menu opens?
  • It shows the lock screen?
  • Or it shows the desktop?

If it goes to the desktop, what applications are running in the background?

Did a notification show up? Those might also minimize the game.

Dear Sfekke,

THANKY YOU  for taking interest in my section, I appreciate your effort and co-operation. 

I mean it ....!!!!!??????????

Well while playing game I return to my desktop screen. 

at desktop  I don’t get any kind of notification , Infact I was not Installing / running other app at that time.

when I try to enter again in  gaming screen , It again takes me to desktop screen. 

So finally i have  to close the app n play it again.

23 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Last time I done it was 3 years ago on my main machine and few months ago on my secondary machine but it was done only because I upgraded 90% of it's hardware.

Dear Noxeouroboros,

Thnx  for taking interest in my section ,

I appreciate it.???

Well tht  May be because  u don’t mess up with your files or tweak them.

22 hours ago, homeap5 said:

As others says - never. At least until works. If you experienced some problems - try to fix problems. Windows itself works very good so it's big probability that problems are 3rd party software or even hardware related. Windows has built in diagnosis tools and if you really want to check is something wrong, you can always add another user account and check if problem is still there. I had once problem that was extremely hard to diagnose and solve, and switching to another user was my good temporary solution. But I am not a person who uses Windows like most of users, so in your case just using existing installation basically forever will be the best option. Unless you really like to install Windows and you have nothing interesting installed.

Thnx homeap5,

for taking interest in my section.

I appreciate your effort , I will surely try this diagnose tool, ????????

your cordially 

Ayush

22 hours ago, Ayush007 said:

Thnx homeap5,

for taking interest in my section.

I appreciate your effort , I will surely try this diagnose tool, ????????

your cordially 

Ayush

Bdw from where I can access this tool??

Glad to help @Ayush007 may I quickly suggest you reply to us in one post?

You don't need to make separate ones for every reply ;)

On-topic :

What's running in your taskbar?

Any anti virus software for example?

What do you have installed on your system & when you open task manager what processes do you see.

If you don't understand, feel free to ask I'll gladly elaborate.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

54 minutes ago, Ayush007 said:

Bdw from where I can access this tool??

Administrative tools / event viewer.

4 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Glad to help @Ayush007 may I quickly suggest you reply to us in one post?

You don't need to make separate ones for every reply ;)

On-topic :

What's running in your taskbar?

Any anti virus software for example?

What do you have installed on your system & when you open task manager what processes do you see.

If you don't understand, feel free to ask I'll gladly elaborate.

Dear Sfekke,

Thnx  for your understating n co-operation , despite of having such hectic schedule u r still trying to solve my issue,

I appreciate it !!!!????????

well recently when I tried to play game (Doom) I was again return to my desktop screen so I close the app n play it again , second time I don’t find any issue. 

Here are screenshots of  background running app -

0C2A78D9-AC98-4D15-A8A2-FA27A1421C1F.jpeg

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Administrative tools / event viewer.

Thnx homeap5,

I will keep it in my mind.

Thnx for the help.?

12 hours ago, Ayush007 said:

Dear Sfekke,

Thnx  for your understating n co-operation , despite of having such hectic schedule u r still trying to solve my issue,

I appreciate it !!!!????????

well recently when I tried to play game (Doom) I was again return to my desktop screen so I close the app n play it again , second time I don’t find any issue. 

Here are screenshots of  background running app -

0C2A78D9-AC98-4D15-A8A2-FA27A1421C1F.jpeg

I'd try ending the task "Xtreme Tuner " and try playing again.

I know it's Galax's GPU software, but it wouldn't be far fetched to think it might be calling itself to the foreground.

If that doesn't work, what happens if you run Doom (2016 I assume) in windowed fullscreen mode? IRC it has that option

Edited by Sfekke
Sentence fix & second troubleshooting step

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

5 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I'd try ending the task "Xtreme Tuner " and try playing again.

I know it's Galax's GPU software, but it wouldn't be far fetched to think it might be calling itself to the foreground.

If that doesn't work, what happens if you run Doom (2016 I assume) in windowed fullscreen mode? IRC it has that option

I appreciate your opinion !!

I mean it !!??????

Bdw may be it can be glitch or bug , because second time when I run it , it show no problem .

it happen only on first time .