Im going insane in the waiting game. Do I have the oldest computer here?

Windows95

Im on a q6600 with 7gb ddr2 because a slot is busted and wouldn't run with 4 used slots

I have been delaying the great upgrade for ages. And I just keep going. I need to upgrade to make music without lagging, sony vegas, gaming etc, but I CANT. Now im paranoid that the 3900x will be too hot even on Noctua 15dh se inside my fractal define r4 cage, and that since when you make music with many VST the CPU usages goes up, it will make the fans go up and annoy me. And no please no, I hate LIQUID cooling, it has to be fans.

Im also paranoid the 4000 series next year will be cooler, so more silent and faster.

And so the curse goes on forever, and im stuck with this fucking old ass computer from hell, editing and making stuff in low FPS, bouncing to audio because flstudio crackles like hell when I use many reaktor 5 instances.

The PC I was planning to update is:

-3900x

-Aorus Elite

-Corsair RMX850 v2

-G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

-Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

-970 evo plus

-Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6

I was happy, after doing much research that looked like the best combo, but now im having second thoughts again.

Please help. I have to update but I always find something that makes me not to update and wait for the "next big thing".

Yeah, that cooler is going to be more than enough for an r9 3900x. Ryzen is much easier to cool than Intel's products and that cooler is VERY good. Also, your software may max out your PC now, but this upgrade may change that significantly. Upgrades are going to keep coming and there will never be a "perfect" time to upgrade. So I'd recommend upgrading now, you obviously need it to keep using your software efficiently. Also, if you're doing such a significant upgrade, you should potentially consider a case upgrade to an airflow-optimized case with a more modern feature-set. Let me know if you want recommendations on that front. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

4 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

Yeah, that cooler is going to be more than enough for an r9 3900x. Ryzen is much easier to cool than Intel's products and that cooler is VERY good. Also, your software may max out your PC now, but this upgrade may change that significantly. Upgrades are going to keep coming and there will never be a "perfect" time to upgrade. So I'd recommend upgrading now, you obviously need it to keep using your software efficiently. Also, if you're doing such a significant upgrade, you should potentially consider a case upgrade to an airflow-optimized case with a more modern feature-set. Let me know if you want recommendations on that front. 

Really a case? I thought Fractal Define r4 was pretty modern and silent

Any other cases that will be more noticably silent? i bought this one back then because I was told it was the most silent one

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Longer you don't update, greater the bang for the bucks will be

i would hold out until Ryzen 4xxx cpu's come out

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

holy shit man im going nuts

what would the point be? will they really be that good? when do they come out?

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Longer you don't update, greater the bang for the bucks will be

yeah but its been 10 years

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

And you'll be waiting until at least July, but more likely September or October. Sure, there will be an improvement, but Zen 2 would be such a dramatic upgrade over what he's using now that he should upgrade sooner rather than later. At least snag a 2700 for now and upgrade next year.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Just now, leo1798 said:

And you'll be waiting until at least July, but more likely September or October. Sure, there will be an improvement, but Zen 2 would be such a dramatic upgrade over what he's using now that he should upgrade sooner rather than later. At least snag a 2700 for now and upgrade next year.

i put up with a shit computer for a long long long time before i upgraded, i just changed my routine and computer habits.

Just now, leo1798 said:

"snagging a 2700" would mean the full update

but what can you expect from 4xxx vs 3900x?

6 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Really a case? I thought Fractal Define r4 was pretty modern and silent

Any other cases that will be more noticably silent? i bought this one back then because I was told it was the most silent one

It's a fine case that at least has USB 3.0, so you could definitely keep it, I'm just suggesting an airflow optimized case like the Cooler Master H500P or the Phantex P400A if you're concerned about temps. You could even try out your current case and upgrade if you're not satisfied. 

1 minute ago, Windows95 said:

Yeah, you can get a 2700 for under $150 though and still get on the platform which would support upgrades. The 4000 series will be ~10% better per-core, maybe better, maybe worse, but the time that you'd be stuck with your current system largely wouldn't be worth the wait. Just upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Nothing.  It’s not out yet.  And no indication it will be soon.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Upgrade already. There will always be something better in a year's time. Nothing you can do about it. Spend less time comparing what you want to get with what will come out in the future and more time comparing what you want to get compared to what you actually own now. Get it, reap the rewards and any buyer's remorse you have will eventually die down. What you've selected is really good gear so buy it and enjoy, don't let your anxiety rule over you like this.

15 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

It's a fine case that at least has USB 3.0, so you could definitely keep it, I'm just suggesting an airflow optimized case like the Cooler Master H500P or the Phantex P400A if you're concerned about temps. You could even try out your current case and upgrade if you're not satisfied. 

Yeah, you can get a 2700 for under $150 though and still get on the platform which would support upgrades. The 4000 series will be ~10% better per-core, maybe better, maybe worse, but the time that you'd be stuck with your current system largely wouldn't be worth the wait. Just upgrade.

My biggest concern is NOISE. If the case is dampened like fraktal define r4, then I can have higher rpm inside without having that much noise. Not sure if those cages have dampening noise features.

I've read this:

RDNA 2 is the "tock" in the normal tick/tock cycle.
It's more than that this time though, ray tracing is getting added and if AMD's Zen vs Zen 2 is any indication of how it will perform it will be well worth the wait. Also using the GTX 1000 series vs RTX 2000 series (due to ray tracing) as an idea gives good hope too, so long as AMD doesn't also start price gouging as well.

So they will add ray tracing to the CPU like RTX? what does this mean

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Nothing.  It’s not out yet.  And no indication it will be soon.  

Well this says:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ryzen-4000-and-X670-to-launch-in-late-2020-Socket-AM5-to-debut-with-Ryzen-5000.446653.0.html

October next year..

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

My biggest concern is NOISE. If the case is dampened like fraktal define r4, then I can have higher rpm inside without having that much noise. Not sure if those cages have dampening noise features.

You may want to check out Be Quiet!'s cases as they are built with noise dampening and are very high quality, but Gamers Nexus did a series of tests and found that airflow-optimized cases are usually quieter than dampened cases because you can run the fans at a much lower RPM and generate much more noise. With dampened cases there's still areas for noise to escape which can be annoying. But again, only upgrade if you feel your current case wouldn't suffice.

Also, just get an RTX 2080 Super if you're building now and are aiming for that performance tier. Creative software better supports Nvidia for now and RDNA2 is still a ways off. 

1 minute ago, leo1798 said:

You may want to check out Be Quiet!'s cases as they are built with noise dampening and are very high quality, but Gamers Nexus did a series of tests and found that airflow-optimized cases are usually quieter than dampened cases because you can run the fans at a much lower RPM and generate much more noise. With dampened cases there's still areas for noise to escape which can be annoying. But again, only upgrade if you feel your current case wouldn't suffice.

Also, just get an RTX 2080 Super if you're building now and are aiming for that performance tier. Creative software better supports Nvidia for now and RDNA2 is still a ways off. 

oh I confused that then i thought it was about the CPU

so will AMD 4XXX CPU series introduce some big new technology or will just be like a bit higher cpu clocks and thats it?

Just now, Windows95 said:

oh I confused that then i thought it was about the CPU

so will AMD 4XXX CPU series introduce some big new technology or will just be like a bit higher cpu clocks and thats it?

The one thing you responded to said about RDNA2. Just disregard that then.

And no, AMD's 4000 series will be a decent update but nothing major. The 5000 series will bring DDR5, possibly PCIe 5.0, on-die stacked memory, and a bunch of other features, but that's 2 or more years off. You'd be best served by upgrading now. 

3 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

The one thing you responded to said about RDNA2. Just disregard that then.

And no, AMD's 4000 series will be a decent update but nothing major. The 5000 series will bring DDR5, possibly PCIe 5.0, on-die stacked memory, and a bunch of other features, but that's 2 or more years off. You'd be best served by upgrading now. 

Yeah I guess, I mean, im on HDDs still, windows 7 which dies next year due no updates.. cant even update to win 10 with this hardware, most likely will be bloated as hell.

you could always get a used system for cheap right now that will help and wait for the new ryzen 4xxx series. you could probably get a 4th gen or even 5th gen i7 and board with ram for 150-200

You can either upgrade now or never, there is always something better just on the horizon. That will never change.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

"has q6600 and is worried about heating" yeah, you aren't seeing anything higher than with that CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, Windows95 said:

Im on a q6600 with 7gb ddr2 because a slot is busted and wouldn't run with 4 used slots

I have been delaying the great upgrade for ages. And I just keep going. I need to upgrade to make music without lagging, sony vegas, gaming etc, but I CANT. Now im paranoid that the 3900x will be too hot even on Noctua 15dh se inside my fractal define r4 cage, and that since when you make music with many VST the CPU usages goes up, it will make the fans go up and annoy me. And no please no, I hate LIQUID cooling, it has to be fans.

Im also paranoid the 4000 series next year will be cooler, so more silent and faster.

And so the curse goes on forever, and im stuck with this fucking old ass computer from hell, editing and making stuff in low FPS, bouncing to audio because flstudio crackles like hell when I use many reaktor 5 instances.

The PC I was planning to update is:

-3900x

-Aorus Elite

-Corsair RMX850 v2

-Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

-970 evo plus

I was happy, after doing much research that looked like the best combo, but now im having second thoughts again.

Please help. I have to update but I always find something that makes me not to update and wait for the "next big thing".

Everything looks good. You can reuse the current CPU cooler, noctua will provide a free bracket.

The 3900X will output less heat than your Q6600. You're fine served by that Define R4.

Only thing I'd change is not getting an overpriced Samsung SSD and getting a multi-rail PSU like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/38w7YJ/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-dq850-m

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 hours ago, Windows95 said:

3900x

-Aorus Elite

-Corsair RMX850 v2

-Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

-970 evo plus

Looks good. As other said, go for a sabrent rocket or silicon powe a80 drive instead of samsung and 650w psu is enough. That noctua is the best aircooler around, so it's going to be the quietest as well. You can always undervolt the cpu a bit as well, which will drop the temperatures even more.

5 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Looks good. As other said, go for a sabrent rocket or silicon powe a80 drive instead of samsung and 650w psu is enough. That noctua is the best aircooler around, so it's going to be the quietest as well. You can always undervolt the cpu a bit as well, which will drop the temperatures even more.

https://www.amazon.es/Sabrent-Rocket-Interno-Rendimiento-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB/dp/B07TN1MNJ4/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=sabrent+rocket+2tb&qid=1576425488&s=computers&sr=1-2

seems prety expensive too

the psu, if I ever want to go SLI 2080 supers, wouldn't it be good to have 850w? in case VR headsets stop sucking and resolution is finally good in the future, maybe i just have to get in another 2080 to have smooth fps.

5 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

Everything looks good. You can reuse the current CPU cooler, noctua will provide a free bracket.

The 3900X will output less heat than your Q6600. You're fine served by that Define R4.

Only thing I'd change is not getting an overpriced Samsung SSD and getting a multi-rail PSU like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/38w7YJ/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-dq850-m

why is that PSU better than the corsair one i pusted specifically''?

i cant find it for sale anyway