HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Ah, have I been promoted to the status of "friend"? I'm not sure if my mommy will agree on me being friends with an Evil Overlord :o

Well, you know, I'm the good kind of evil overlord. :D

if you change that to

(Mrs. >= PC)==true
I'll concur :D

Well, I don't have a Mrs. anway, but my fluffy friend will always come before PCs.

But I shall allow you your own priorities. :lol:

EDIT:

Aaand we're on page 40. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Oh, you just made it to the best Evil Overlord available ;)

Best Evil Overlord Available. Hm, I like that. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Damn it, Alpenwasser, I need me some computer pr0n! Y U NO work faster?!

Just kidding, how is life? :)

Wallet, Y U SO empty?!

Anyway, as said I most likely will need to wait until January to continue with this.

Other than that I can't complain. Doctor's given me the thumbs up with my health, so

that finally seems to be fixed (at least for now, I'm still a bit of a skeptic when it

comes to that, but the doc seems to be optimistic).

As for hardware pr0n, how about a teaser for something else that's coming up and

which should be completed sooner than HELIOS:

(click image for full res)

aw--apollo--2013-11-07--01--pp689.jpeg

Wallet, Y U SO empty?!

Anyway, as said I most likely will need to wait until January to continue with this.

Other than that I can't complain. Doctor's given me the thumbs up with my health, so

that finally seems to be fixed (at least for now, I'm still a bit of a skeptic when it

comes to that, but the doc seems to be optimistic).

As for hardware pr0n, how about a teaser for something else that's coming up and

which should be completed sooner than HELIOS:

(click image for full res)

<IMPOSTER>

THAT ISN'T HELIOS!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

THAT ISN'T HELIOS!!!!

Nope, that's APOLLO (or it's going to be, at least). :D

Nope, that's APOLLO (or it's going to be, at least). :D

OK.....just checking....go back to work! I need new update!

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

OK.....just checking....go back to work! I need new update!

Still waiting for most of the parts, only the case and PSU have arrived so far.

I convinced my dad we need another server (we actually do, but some convincing

was of course required since he was going to pay for it because it's for our entire

household/office and also because I don't have any PC cash at the moment).

Ordered a few server parts off eBay, so I first need to get those and they still need

to work (so, here's top hope ;)).

Still waiting for most of the parts, only the case and PSU have arrived so far.

was of course required since he was going to pay for it because it's for our entire

Ordered a few server parts off eBay, so I first need to get those and they still need

to work (so, here's top hope ;)).

w00t!!!

w00t!!!

Yup, if all goes well (knock on wood), it will be another dual socket LGA1366

build:

But, as said, first the components need to get here, and since I bought them

used (well, the M/B, RAM and CPUs), they still need to be in working order before

I take any celebratory measures. ;)

May I ask what the purpose of this server will be? :)

May I ask what the purpose of this server will be? :)

Primarily two things:

Firstly, since ZEUS was planned (and the parts ordered) mostly when ZFS was

not yet production-ready on Linux and since I had not yet done much research

on the topic of long-term data integrity in general, I did not tailor the machine

specifically to ZFS, namely the system is not ECC-memory capable. APOLLO

should fix that, so I will be transferring most of ZEUS' storage capacity into APOLLO

while retaining some limited space in ZEUS for making backups of important data

on other machines.

Secondly, ZEUS is only expandable insofar as I can place larger disks in it, but

not more drives. I will mod the PP689 so that it can fit plenty of disks for future

expansion. I'm already running rather low on space on ZEUS (~750 GB free

space). This is also mostly due to ZFS. When I did not plan on using ZFS, I had

no redundancy in mind, it was just going to be 17 TB of raw disk space, which

was going to be plenty enough for quite a while.

The important data would of course have been backed up properly. Most of it

is media files however, and losing some of that due to a single disk failure

would have been acceptable as long as I had an index of the data and could

re-acquire it. ZFS enticed me to add some redundancy, which has cost me 5 TB

of usable space that I'm now missing.

Had I known what I know now, I would have made ZEUS smaller and cheaper,

purely an HTPC with some very limited HDD space for backing up absolutely

critical data. APOLLO would probably have been more or less as it will be now.

But, this is a learning process, even for me, and luckily my dad cares enough

about this to let me fix my sub-optimal planning of our first server. Live and

learn, so to speak. :)

EDIT:

I just noticed I blabbered on without actually directly answering your question.

Purpose will be to take over server duties for all our data (business, personal,

media) from ZEUS, thus making a pure HTPC out of ZEUS (maybe it will still do

some BOINC-ing, there's still a 2600k in there, after all ;)).

Y U NO do single socket?!?!? LULJK exited for that too

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Yup, if all goes well (knock on wood), it will be another dual socket LGA1366

build:

But, as said, first the components need to get here, and since I bought them

used (well, the M/B, RAM and CPUs), they still need to be in working order before

I take any celebratory measures. ;)

Oh wow. I can't wait for APOLLO and HELIOS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So basically you needed an other server instead of another server? :)

Yeah, something like that. :rolleyes:

Y U NO do single socket?!?!? LULJK exited for that too

Because 2>1? :D

Seriously though, it mostly came down to the following factors:

• price of available M/B
  • price of available CPU(s)
  • number of SAS/SATA ports integrated on M/B
  • number of LAN ports integrated on M/B
  • possible cost of additional HDD controller and/or LAN controller
Prices refer to prices for used server parts on eBay. There are quite a few companies

that sell old-ish server components on eBay when they upgrade large client server

farms, and you will usually get some pretty good prices on those. The L5630's for

example cost me 60 USD a pop plus 20 USD shipping. The M/B was 200 USD plus

50 USD shipping.

Probably there will be VAT and processing fees added to that once it arrives, but still,

that's pretty decent considering the CPUs were once 550 USD a piece and the M/B

was once ~600 USD.

Taking all of this into account, this was overall the most cost efficient solution,

provided I haven't bought a dud and all the components are still in good working

order when they arrive here. Then it will of course become more expensive and

unnerving.

But, with a bit of luck, you can put together a pretty nice machine like this for a

very decent price IMO, so long as you don't need the absolute most high-performance

rig (and two quad-core Westmeres, even if low-clocked, still provide some pretty

adequate horsepower for most tasks).

Also, having two additional LGA1366 dual-QPI Xeons will keep our infrastructure

homogeneous, having two machines that run 1155 Sandy Bridge and two machines

that run dual-QPI LGA1366 Xeons. So, in an emergency I could swap out parts between

machines for troubleshooting and whatever else that needed to be done in such

a situation.

Oh wow. I can't wait for APOLLO and HELIOS.

Me neither. :D

EDIT:

looks good

Thanks! :)

I just looked back at all the updates because I need MOAR lol I wish my build log was this good :P

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I just looked back at all the updates because I need MOAR lol I wish my build log was this good :P

Thanks for the kind words mate, I appreciate that. :)

Sadly I'm still in the process of saving up money to continue, but I'll get there

eventually.

Also: I get post #800! wohoo.gif

awesome build! keep up the good work!

I see our forum names are somewhat geographically related. :D

I see our forum names are somewhat geographically related. :D

The rise of the wassers!

The rise of the wassers!

Beware of the flood! (dear lord I hope not, leaks are terribly annoying in W/C :lol: )

Beware of the flood! (dear lord I hope not, leaks are terribly annoying in W/C :lol: )

Oh the Mayems Coolant rain!