HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Ive only ever touched AMD CPU's and Intel i7's so i was under the impression server CPU's were locked. For gaming how would they compare verses an extreme edition i7? both overclocked of course.

One thing about watercooling is that all you really have to change down the line would have to be maybe the liquid and add/change gpu w/c block. The rad++ is a one time purchase, it's expensive now but it'll last you for quite some time :)

Yeah, the primary replacement part will be the GPU block, CPU blocks can usually

be carried over between system changes, same as the rest. But still, W/C is definitely

expensive.

I understand why you're nervous, but at least it looks nice. Thankfully you're not as unlucky as my friend with the SR-2 that didn't work after putting the w/c block on it :/ He didn't have the patience to RMA so he just bought a new one.

Well, that sucks. :(

The tricky part might not so much the cost of a new board but actually finding one,

although I have seen a few on eBay and EVGA still seem to be selling them through

their B-stock. I'm just hoping it stays that way until I'm in the clear.

How much did this whole system cost?

Not sure TBH, I haven't kept track. I'll definitely do a total at some point.

I did do a rough estimate a while back and I think I arrived at something

around 7.5k USD so far. But that's just a very rough estimate.

Ive only ever touched AMD CPU's and Intel i7's so i was under the impression server CPU's were locked. For gaming how would they compare verses an extreme edition i7? both overclocked of course.

They are locked (multiplier-wise), but with LGA1366 Xeons, if you get the

right M/B (i.e. SR-2) you can overclock them by raising the base clock.

Since (total clock)=(multiplier)*(base clock) you get an overclock with a

fixed CPU. But since newer CPUs have a different way of doing things this

doesn't work anymore with LGA2011.

As for gaming, the CPU I have is basically a locked i7 980X, so you can

look at benchmarks of that CPU and get a pretty good idea how mine will

perform (games don't really scale to fully utilize both CPUs).

I'm definitely not building this rig for gaming though, but for computing

(BOINC). That's also why the Titan, its CUDA cores should come in rather

handy for that. I might try out Steam on Linux at some point, but the

primary purpose of this will be my work rig and computing.

A wild power surge appears!

Don't you bloody dare! whipping.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

<too much text>

Ohh look at me! Just gonna build an amazing system! Who cares how much money I spend?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

A wild power surge appears! 

Hopefully he's using a UPS...

Ohh look at me! Just gonna build an amazing system! Who cares how much money I spend?

I care! :D

I don't feel bad about it though TBH. Sure, it's a lot more money than most will

ever be able to spend on a PC (let alone willing), but I worked very hard for that

money and have spent the better part of two years getting this thing together, so

I consider it a well-deserved reward for my own persistence. :)

Hopefully he's using a UPS...

Not a UPS per se, but I do have a power surge protector. I have been looking into

UPS's, but the ones I'd need to power this baby have so far been out of my financial

reach. In any case, the quality of our power grid is excellent, I've had one power

surge in my life which actually did some damage (WiFi access point), and I can't

recall when we had the last power outage where I live (besides, I don't care all

too much about losing power, much more about power outages).

Not that I'm not interested, if anyone has any good UPS ideas I'm open for suggestions.

It's on the list and should become part of my inventory at some point. :)

wow dude, this is looking sick! Ive never seen anyone paint there PCI slots before, interesting to say the least. Hope you've done some research on that hehe, im sure you have :). Good luck, continue to follow you with this till the end of time :P, hopfully before than hehe

Thanks mate! If you look at the post there's a link to a build log on OC3D from last

year, that guy actually gave me the idea. I used the same method and paint he did

AFAIK.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Not a UPS per se, but I do have a power surge protector. I have been looking into

UPS's, but the ones I'd need to power this baby have so far been out of my financial

reach. In any case, the quality of our power grid is excellent, I've had one power

surge in my life which actually did some damage (WiFi access point), and I can't

recall when we had the last power outage where I live (besides, I don't care all

too much about losing power, much more about power outages).

Not that I'm not interested, if anyone has any good UPS ideas I'm open for suggestions.

It's on the list and should become part of my inventory at some point. :)

We get a power outage almost every year (usually just for a few hours) but I haven't used a UPS for almost a decade, just a power surge protector and I have never run into problems (my PC was powered on during only one of the power outages). Then again I have yet to own a PC worth more than ~EUR1100...

We get a power outage almost every year (usually just for a few hours) but I haven't used a UPS for almost a decade, just a power surge protector and I have never run into problems (my PC was powered on during only one of the power outages). Then again I have yet to own a PC worth more than ~EUR1100...

Yeah I think I'm going to stick with a good surge protector for now and might

look into a UPS later. We don't get lightning storms during winter, so the danger

of a power surge is rather low anyway (of course it automatically rises significantly

when you hook up your expensive computer to the power grid :lol: ).

As for cost, the question I got from megadarkwood has raised my curiosity and

I have started to go through my bills to get a total tally. I don't have the total

yet, but oh dear... :o

Here here man!! thats what this whole thing is about

Hehe, indeed. :)

This is an incredible project, can't wait to see it finished

Thank you, neither can I! :)

EDIT:

On another note: 60k views, kewl! Thanks, everyone!

Everyone? Come on now, we both know 59k of those views came from me ;)

You mean...

f5.gif

?

:lol:

Pfffft, please, I got this

while(true){    location.reload();}

Well, I don't necessarily think the F5 thing is just about page views but

bashing that key into submission has a certain cathartic value to it, releasing

some of the frustration about there not yet being any updates. :D

But indeed, a coded solution has a certain elegance to it I suppose, and

a good ol'

while(true) {}
always has potential for amusement. :lol:

EDIT:

I just noticed: You got Post #666 in my thread with that one, that can't

be a coincidence. devil-happy.gif

You mean...

f5.gif

?

:lol:

did you call?

edit: lol post 69

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I just noticed: You got Post #666 in my thread with that one, that can't

be a coincidence. devil-happy.gif

You must know by now that I'm the evil ruler preparing his takeover of the world? Here in my evil lair, I plan to take your 2P, Titan powered beast of a machine to hack into the source code of life itself and ask one milllion billion gagillion dollars from the US government or else I will code their nation out of existence.

MUAHA, MUHAHAHAHAAA

dr-evil.jpg

did you call?

edit: lol post 69

I know nothing, I see nothing!

sgt-schultz.jpg

You must know by now that I'm the evil ruler perparing his takeover of the world? Here in my evil lair, I plan to take your 2P, Titan powered beast of a machine to hack into the source code of life itself and ask one milllion billion gagillion dollars from the US government or else I will code their nation out of existence.

MUAHA, MUHAHAHAHAAA

dr-evil.jpg

Well, I'm sorry to inform you that the US does not look like they have one

milllion billion gagillion USD at the moment, or are you talking about

Zimbabwe Dollars (since you didn't specify which sort of Dollar)?

So... good look with that? laughing.gif

Also, you might want to bring some armour, there's a heavy chance of lead rain if

you try to break into my apartment. But don't worry, you're definitely my favourite

aspiring evil overlord. :D

Also, you might want to bring some armour, there's a heavy chance of lead rain if

you try to break into my apartment. But don't worry, you're definitely my favourite

aspiring evil overlord. :D

Break in? I'll just be the delivery guy of pizza, schnitzels and brownies. You let me in and BAM! All that power is mine!

Evil overlord... Kinda like that!

I know nothing, I see nothing!

Well, I'm sorry to inform you that the US does not look like they have one

milllion billion gagillion USD at the moment, or are you talking about

Zimbabwe Dollars (since you didn't specify which sort of Dollar)?

That reminds me of a picture I saw whist browsing teh internetz

http://www.forexlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/government-shutdown-meme.png

(I don't remember how to post a picture in a comment)

Enough mumbo jumbo where's the next update I need 

something to get through each day. Also, do I recall you

saying something about being a computer engineer?

It's what I want to go to college for  :D  B)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Break in? I'll just be the delivery guy of pizza, schnitzels and brownies. You let me in and BAM! All that power is mine!

I like your enthusiasm, but you're going to need to work a bit harder than

that, I am not likely to fall for a plan as simple as this one. We don't live

on the ground floor, and there's a buzzer, so I'm not going to just let anyone

in. But I'm sure your devious mind could come up with something. thinking.gif

We should found a club, then I will be able to share some of my own nefarious

plans for this world. :D

That reminds me of a picture I saw whist browsing teh internetz

http://www.forexlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/government-shutdown-meme.png

(I don't remember how to post a picture in a comment)

Use the img tag:

[img=your_image_url]

Enough mumbo jumbo where's the next update I need 

something to get through each day. Also, do I recall you

saying something about being a computer engineer?

It's what I want to go to college for  :D  B)

Need to work for college a bit in the coming time, plus I'm still planning

my loop. Also, there are some fat bills incoming in the next few weeks which

leave me with a bit of doubt as to how soon I will be able to buy all of

those fittings for the loop (once I finally get the loop layout to something

I'm absolutely happy with).

So: patience, my friend. ;)

Need to work for college a bit in the coming time, plus I'm still planning

my loop. Also, there are some fat bills incoming in the next few weeks which

leave me with a bit of doubt as to how soon I will be able to buy all of

those fittings for the loop (once I finally get the loop layout to something

I'm absolutely happy with).

So: patience, my friend. ;)

Fittings cost an arm and a leg when you fill a system with them, especially when you add one extra component, you've added around $30-$60. One downside of water-cooling ;)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Fittings cost an arm and a leg when you fill a system with them, especially when you add one extra component, you've added around $30-$60. One downside of water-cooling ;)

Yeah they're very sneaky little frackers, those bastards! When you look at some

of the build logs with lots of Bitspower fittings in them you can have 1000 USD

or more of fittings. I'm hoping to keep it at ~300 USD max though. It just adds

up so quickly, especially with rigid tubing and when you want a really clean

loop layout. Back in the day you just took two fittings per component, stuck your

tubing in there and you were golden.

New account title maybe ?? :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

New account title maybe ?? :P

All your base are belong to us. evil-robot.gif