[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 hours ago, MetalBreaker said:

I bought an MWE Bronze V2 650W on the 30th of December for my new build (RTX 2060, i5-9400f). I didn't have many choices, the PSU market here is very limited. A few days later I realised that I could buy a Riotoro Enigma G2 for 17 euro more (good job, me!). Furthermore, this PSU makes a quiet high pitched noise when the PC is off. I'm kind of stuck right now, as the consumer protection laws in my country don't allow me to return a product just because I don't like it, so if I would like my money back, I would need to send it in for testing, which can take up to a week or more... I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. (and the cherry on top is this low-load ripple issue. Great.)

Even if you've bought it in US or EU, it would be soon 2 months since you bought it, i doubt you would've been able to return it there either.

And 17 EUR difference are kinda big, yeah, there should be probably smth else than Riotoro G2 for this price too

If you really don't like it, maybe just sell it to used-market ? Yes, value would be down but not much, it's already very cheap unit.

2 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I came across a SolidGear SDGR-600BX, which... As far as I can see doesn't even boast 80 plus efficiency.

It's not going in any of my builds, but I have it either way. Am I looking at a total firecracker here?

600W unit, 410W on 12V, it's group regulated and no info on supported protections so it's safe to assume it would've been very short list anyway. I'd say it is a firecracker when used with any dGPU higher than GT1030\1050. If you want cheapest possible unit for office PC, look at EVGA BR, it's a piece of crap but it's independent regulation at least.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

600W unit, 410W on 12V, it's group regulated and no info on supported protections so it's safe to assume it would've been very short list anyway. I'd say it is a firecracker when used with any dGPU higher than GT1030\1050. If you want cheapest possible unit for office PC, look at EVGA BR, it's a piece of crap but it's independent regulation at least.

Lol thx. I'm not buying a new unit, this just came in a cheap used PC I picked up for other parts.

3 hours ago, mark8997 said:

Is there any review about the seasonic core?

still no, but from what i know there have been samples sent out

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

still no, but from what i know there have been samples sent out

And you got left out! ?

Ig Seasonic learned their lesson with the GX thing

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

19 minutes ago, Elisis said:

And you got left out! ?

Ig Seasonic learned their lesson with the GX thing

nah, i just don't have the tools yet, so i didn't request anything from the new prime or core lineup

maybe once i got the tools in possibly a couple months, but for now I'm not even requesting myself

Hey guys, I was gonna order the CX550M but I found this Gigabyte P650B unit which is cheaper, same Tier as CXM, more watts (future proof hopefully), and has Japanese Capacitors. Should I pick the Gigabytes PSU instead?

11 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

Hey guys, I was gonna order the CX550M but I found this Gigabyte P650B unit which is cheaper, same Tier as CXM, more watts (future proof hopefully), and has Japanese Capacitors. Should I pick the Gigabytes PSU instead?

the cx550m does have otp as it's advantage, but both are decent budget psus

Just now, Somedude96 said:

but the Jap Caps tho...

a myth debunked years ago

the origin of the caps don't matter. Taiwan, China, Germany or whatever can make good caps too

heck, some of these "japcap" companies don't even always produce there, and have part of their production in China or Taiwan

hello! what you guys think about an old corsair tx750w? I would like to buy an nvidia 3000/big navi for 4k gaming and yesterday I bought all components, included a corsair rmx750w. maybe I can use the tx?

21 minutes ago, Inetkal said:

hello! what you guys think about an old corsair tx750w? I would like to buy an nvidia 3000/big navi for 4k gaming and yesterday I bought all components, included a corsair rmx750w. maybe I can use the tx?

It's old, AFAIK weren't tested for crossloads so i wouldn't put it in a PC with smth more powerful than GTX1660, not to mention high-end GPUs. Stick with RMx.

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's old, AFAIK weren't tested for crossloads so i wouldn't put it in a PC with smth more powerful than GTX1660, not to mention high-end GPUs. Stick with RMx.

@Inetkal for your info too

one of these TX versions was S12ii based, another s12, and one CWT (iirc)

all of these are group regulated and should indeed not be used with anything beyond an apu system in my eyes

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

one of these TX versions was S12ii based, another s12, and one CWT (iirc)

all of these are group regulated and should indeed not be used with anything beyond an apu system in my eyes

None of any TX model ever was group regulated. Not even one, let alone three. Where'd you get this from? That's misleading for @Inetkal.

They used plenty of platforms from Seasonic, Hipro, and CWT, none of which was group regulated. None of the TXes was based on S12II either.

I still can't decide which one to get, RMx (2018) or RM (2019), can anyone help chime in on the pros?

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

None of any TX model ever was group regulated. Not even one, let alone three. Where'd you get this from? That's misleading for @Inetkal.

They used plenty of platforms from Seasonic, Hipro, and CWT, none of which was group regulated. None of the TXes was based on S12II either.

okay, correction on them, but since you asked i'll show info as far as i've looked for it now, since i was probably confusing a different line

TXM CWT (PSHIII): DCDC

Corsair TX550M power supply

TXV2: my error, they noted it as s12ii, but it seems to be something like m12d

x.bmp

and you're a bit wrong, this sure looks like a groupreg, the s12 based tx

tx650g.jpg

but yes, on the other two i recalled wrong

20 minutes ago, euviridis said:

I still can't decide which one to get, RMx (2018) or RM (2019), can anyone help chime in on the pros?

RMx

• better fan
  • in cable caps
  • doesn't meet atx 2.52 due to low power efficiency
  • slightly better performance

RM

• meets atx 2.52
  • rather cheap fan
  • no in-cable caps

my personal preference is to RMx, but it depends on the price and how RM is priced against TXm

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

RMx

• better fan
  • in cable caps
  • doesn't meet atx 2.52 due to low power efficiency
  • slightly better performance

RM

• meets atx 2.52
  • rather cheap fan
  • no in-cable caps

my personal preference is to RMx, but it depends on the price and how RM is priced against TXm

it seems the only pros is that it meets atx 2.52, is this atx 2.52 the thing that enables you to have a faster power on from sleep? if that's the case I think I wont need it since boot time from cold is fast enough nowadays

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay, correction on them, but since you asked i'll show info as far as i've looked for it now, since i was probably confusing a different line

TXV2: my error, they noted it as s12ii, but it seems to be something like m12d

Spoiler

x.bmp

That's just Seasonic AM, like on Seasonic M12II Bronze 750W. M12D looks completely different, especially because of the main caps in the center of it.

Realhardtechx notes those TX as "S12II", but that's because they suck at platforms and can't get them right half of the time. ?

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

and you're a bit wrong, this sure looks like a groupreg, the s12 based tx

tx650g.jpg

Does it look group regulated? Not really - it's independently regulated with dual magnetic amplifiers, which is evidenced by three chokes on the secondary side.

That's not based on S12, by the way. The TX on this photo is based on the first Seasonic M12. SS-500HM, SS-600HM and SS-700HM.

Also, S12 weren't group regulated either - not the wattages the TX could be based on, at least. SS-500HT and SS-600HT were independently regulated, and the 330HB, 380HB and 430HB were group.

3 hours ago, Somedude96 said:

Can I ask why the Seasonic S12iis and M12iis are low tier?

All S12II and sub 750W M12IIs are group regulated, 750W+ M12IIs are independent regulation (rare example where higher wattage SKU are actually better) but lack a couple of important protections and in general (actually Seasonic claims complete protections set, can't find any reviews confirming this tho because it's very gold) are very outdated design, good for office PCs or smth with very low power GPU, like GT1030 maybe, but at least in US and EU, the price difference with smth like Corsair CX, CM MWE Gold and be quiet! Pure Power 10 are nonexistent, and those are way better.

1 hour ago, MorphineBear said:

Is it still too early to tell how well the EVGA GA line performs?

Yes, there's nobody who checked how it performs.