ROG Zephyrus G GA502 - Asus frame drops in games

NESHAY
5 hours ago, Siker said:

Legend. I hope so tho.

Hi mate,

I've gather the info you have requested.

Armoury Crate 2.6.4.0

1038797608_ARMOURYCRATE18_02_202018_40_18.thumb.png.6a8ac60bd77a047b2f5b37757d9250b8.png

Geforce Experience driver 442.19

1536126513_GeForceExperience18_02_202018_39_34.thumb.png.eb37a99f3002d48a18d9c22e32f55910.png

GPU driver

159397667_AMDRadeon(TM)RXVega10GraphicsProperties18_02_202018_42_30.png.9b61e37fa4fe90059e977d09a25ae677.png1375366592_NVIDIAGeForceGTX1660TiwithMax-QDesignProperties18_02_202018_42_17.png.11434b56156a0f49064d8b31b3a9f5e5.png

WiFi driver

546078993_Realtek8821CEWirelessLAN802.11acPCI-ENICProperties18_02_202018_42_55.png.309028c43868b87395a40a52e302fc1b.png

Bluetooth Driver

1164808657_RealtekBluetoothAdapterProperties18_02_202018_41_52.png.8b58286d60846c90622017812ad59577.png

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Currently installing a few games so I can test CPU drops.

1 hour ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

Add me on steam mate, in fact anyone here is welcome to. I only really play PUBG and few other steam games on pc atm. Handle is: xHyPnOtiZeDx

GA502 game testing club lol 

I've added you mate, should have a request from 'BlackHammer' ?

Do you have any F2P games that you want me to run tests on? - I'm going to get PUBG at some point to test too.

20 hours ago, xBrettx said:

I've added you mate, should have a request from 'BlackHammer' ?

Do you have any F2P games that you want me to run tests on? - I'm going to get PUBG at some point to test too.

the throttling came back after 3-4 hours of gaming, even on splitgate. Seems its directly related to how warm it gets. CPU drops down to 400 and hence it drops the FPS. It´s much better than before but I still wouldnt expect it from a month old machine. #ithastogoback

7 hours ago, xHyPnOtiZeDx said:

the throttling came back after 3-4 hours of gaming, even on splitgate. Seems its directly related to how warm it gets. CPU drops down to 400 and hence it drops the FPS. It´s much better than before but I still wouldnt expect it from a month old machine. #ithastogoback

Same here when playing Apex. Even on BIOS 300 there's throttle every minute or two, with Ryzen Controller this seems to reduce but it happens anyway. Plastic vents already removed. Don't know what else to try next, but with the new BIOS the throttle issue is significantly reduced

@mussifer@xHyPnOtiZeDx What profile are you guys using in ASUS Armoury Crate? On the turbo profile it overclocks your GPU core by 100Mhz and the GPU memory by 150Mhz. Maybe try using the Performance profile as it doesn't overclock anything.

ive been monitoring this thread since i bought zephyrus ga502 in mid january. Ive tried the bios update 300 and the ryzen controller to play some games (not so heavy games) like wwe 2k19, pes 2020 and csgo and it runs perfectly. Now i can play pes 2020 with vsync on in 120fps without drop to 400mhz (before bios update i had to use fps cap to 60 in order to play the game smoothly) i will give update if i experienced throttling again in the future. (the vent cover in my laptop already removed because it decrease the throttling slightly). Sorry for my bad english.

So I got one of these in the black friday sales last year, and it hasn't played games properly since I had it, exactly the same problems as described here, dropping to 400mhz regularly.

I've followed this thread for a while, and tried all the various things, but the v300 bios update seems to have fixed it. Just had a couple of hours on FarCry5 without a single drop out, with no other hacks or tweaks running. Was a long time coming ASUS!

Thanks for all the people who posted here to try and sort this mess out ?

PS: Still have my vent covers blocked, as I wanted to keep the option of returning it. Fingers crossed that I now wont need to.

7 hours ago, reasonablekeith said:

So I got one of these in the black friday sales last year, and it hasn't played games properly since I had it, exactly the same problems as described here, dropping to 400mhz regularly.

I've followed this thread for a while, and tried all the various things, but the v300 bios update seems to have fixed it. Just had a couple of hours on FarCry5 without a single drop out, with no other hacks or tweaks running. Was a long time coming ASUS!

Thanks for all the people who posted here to try and sort this mess out ?

PS: Still have my vent covers blocked, as I wanted to keep the option of returning it. Fingers crossed that I now wont need to.

Sorry Bruv After a couple hours its gonna start dropping again :( I Downloaded the update last night and went 3-4 hours with not fps drop but sadly 1 randomly happened and I just assumed it was a random fps drop but every 30 seconds. god how much i hate this laptop

You can remove the metal covers that are in the back cover just above the fans and will reduce the temperature of the processor by 7-8 degrees

15823979173841270119054171342270.jpg

15 hours ago, alvavaca said:

You can remove the metal covers that are in the back cover just above the fans and will reduce the temperature of the processor by 7-8 degrees

Does this allow you to fit it back on without voiding the warranty though?

There are little bits of plastic that are melted into rivets holding them on. There's no getting these off without snapping them. They are tiny though and pop off easily. For putting them back, you could dab a bit of glue on each of the holes and they would look the same (ish).

That said, I just took them off mine, definitely runs cooler as far as MSI Afterburner is reporting. I've not had a single slow down since the Bios Update ( three evenings of farcry5 so far) . After frustration with this laptop, I'm quietly optimistic that it's now fixed.

Been following this thread for over 2 months and have been experiencing the throttling issues as well. I've been using the ryzen controller in the meantime for controlling the throttling, but this BIOS 300 update did the trick for mine and i haven't been using the ryzen controller. Been playing the outer worlds on ultra settings during the weekend without any hitch. I'd just like to thank @Bobbydigital for giving us the heads up on using the Ryzen controller as a temporary solution, without that temporary fix most of my games wouldn't have been bearable. 

Hi, Ive been facing the same problems that all of you (thermal throtting and lags with normal using of the computer).

I did a new installation of windows and I installed all the necessary drivers (realtek, AMD chipset, Nvidia, Bios 300, armoury Crate) and everything seems to work fine about the performance (I havent already played any ULTRA game) but now im facing a high battery drain.... 

I have select the battery safe mode in windows and the process in task manager seem to be normal... But I cant recover my previous battery life. A cycle of the actual battery is about 2/2'5 hours (without playing).

Any idea?

I had issues with my laptop (I had previously returned it hoping ASUS support would fix it) and they didn't. They just replaced some parts inside and put in a newly imaged ssd. Looks like the CPU gets stuck at 0.39Ghz all the time unless you have the Armory Crate service installed and running. This means vanilla Windows or Linux are a no go. I was waiting for a newer BIOS before trying again but even version 300 does not fix the 0.39Ghz issue. The only thing that makes this laptop function is Armory Crate. Don't buy this piece of junk.

So I just picked one of these up 2 days ago on Tuesday. Instantly had the drop to 400mhz issue. 

Found this thread and updated to BIOS 300, played a few hours and every thing seemed to be fixed. 

Welp, come home from work and try testing out DMC 5, Madden 20, and instantly start getting the drops down to 400mhz. 

I decided to try tinkering a bit with the Ryzen Controller and I think I may have found another method that so far seems to have worked well.

I increased the minimum CPU Power from 10 to 15-18. Did a few test and temps dropped from 87ish down to 75-80 on CPU and the lowest the CPU dropped was around 2650mhz or so while playing and appeared to be adjusting to manage the temp much better. Need to do some more testing as this was only about 30 minutes or so but will report back

To follow up, I've been testing for about 3 hours and after some additional settings in Ryzen Controller, I'm getting great performance and haven't had a single drop since the day after updating to BIOs 300.

Please excuse the garbage pics, didn't have much time lol. 

Getting 80-100 fps in Madden 20 max settings and CPU temps that were previously reaching 87 degrees are steady at 70-75. Lowest clock speed is 1514 pretty rarely. Pretty consistently staying at 2675 to 2900. Thank you to everyone in this thread, I was about to return this and it's annoying to have to do work arounds but I can deal with this. 

15828520385953995569322670932755.jpg

15828520729267754602886691226994.jpg

1582852102661422279045671903380.jpg

On 2/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, alvavaca said:

How did you remove this?

@Rex311

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/GA502DU/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Download it as above and stick it on a USB stick. Restart your laptop holding down F2 as it boots. Then it's somewhere in the menu where you can browse the usb stick and find your download.

@Shinxchan , you just have to unscrew the back cover, but then you do that to snap off a number of tiny plastic rivets to remove the metal covers. Easy to do, but they wont go back on, without a few dabs of glue.

My laptop continues to be faultless since the update, with no hacks needed. Farcry5 running around 60/70fps in ultra on Performance in Armoury Crate, (seems a little quieter than Turbo, which overclocks a little)

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if its still relevant but bios 3000 and removing metal plates did the trick for me, Thank you to whoever recommended it, saved me from throwing this garbage out 

Final post, I got a refund for my GA502 and opted for TUF FX505DV with RTX 2060. I have no issues with it. I don´t I don´t think bring new off the shelf product should need cover vents removal and re pasting however well done to those who did it and it worked! Thanks to everyone for active input and help during this miserable process. It´s a top community. 

I am glad you managed to get your money back. I am still waiting for my money. Now apparently Corona is preventing them from wire transferring the money to me, or something. 

Update, after i upgrade the bios to version 300, the throttling pretty much gone, but there's another problem
my cpu use boost clock everytime now even when im only using spotify / youtube and it makes the loud noise from the fan, did anybody have experienced this?

Update, My throttling is pretty much gone now so I no longer have to use ryzen controller. I did not update to bios 300. Didn't even do anything so not quite sure what fixed it. Performance is very good (although it was good anyway even with ryzen controller).